Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Colham wrote: »
    Everyone keeps saying that but still no crashes yet.

True, while the 1 way junctions are a disaster, it serves a purpose, making us only drive into town centre when absolutely necessary. They missed a trick not looking after cyclists (other than the few hoops to lock bike to), but generally the town's people should lose a few pounds from it, especially in summer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Everyone keeps saying that but still no crashes yet.

Give it time. There's always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Who has the right of way at the junction between mardyke street and Sean costello street outside the shopping centre entrance?

Well given that there's a stop sign for those coming from mardyke street, ill leave the deductive reasoning part of your brain to figure it out.

Well given that there's a stop sign for those coming from mardyke street, ill leave the deductive reasoning part of your brain to figure it out.

Haven't driven up from mardyke side /seen the sign but had been wondering as there are lines on the road which to me would indicate you should stop but seem to be on both sides. will have a closer look next time I'm in the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

From the Garda Facebook page
    Arrests Threats to Kill Social Media Athlone 21st November 2019

Gardaí in Athlone are investigating a number of threats to kill and cause serious harm to persons made on social media over the past few days. This morning Athlone Gardaí conducted a number of planned searches in the Athlone area, searching for weapons which were displayed in these videos and media devices used in the commission of these crimes. A number of electronic devices and weapons were seized during the searches.

These involved Garda resources from Athlone and the Regional Support Unit. During the course of these searched three males from the Athlone area were arrested. One male is in his late 40’s and the other two males are in their 20’s. These males are currently being detained at Mullingar and Athlone Garda Station.

Gardaí in Athlone are liaising with the PSNI in relation to the persons arrested and the social media videos as may be connected to a recent serious incident in Co. Fermanagh, which is under investigation by the PSNI.
    Sounds serious. Of course, no names should be mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

flazio wrote: »
    From the Garda Facebook page

Sounds serious. Of course, no names should be mentioned here.

All you need to do is go onto any of the Videos on youtube and Gramsey and Lizzie Joyce name who they believe attacked their house. The three named in the Video are from Blackberry Lane

Divil a sign of any work on the Greenway west of the white gates since the bridge was installed near hospital.

Any idea what the update is here? Something that got funding pulled due to National Childrens hospital over-runs is my estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Divil a sign of any work on the Greenway west of the white gates since the bridge was installed near hospital.

I seem to remember they announced at the time that they didn't have funds until next year to do the next stage.

EDIT: from the Westmeath back in April, I am wrong, they said they didn't have funds but hoped to get them before the end of 2019. Obviously that went nowhere, and that would mean no guarantee they get it in 2020 either.

Mr Kehoe welcomed the start of the work this month. “It's a big investment and a very positive sign,” he told the Westmeath Independent.

It represents the first construction work on the Greenway locally since the end of 2016, when the section from Garrycastle to the White Gates opened to the public.

Mr Kehoe said that so far Westmeath County Council has only been granted funding for the underpass itself, but he hoped funding would be provided to allow the remainder of the work between the White Gates and the Marina be completed before the end of 2019.

“We're hopeful that we can get it done before the end of the year. The rest of this section will only be a fraction of the cost of the underpass itself.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I see where the proposed entertainment centre in the old Texas Centre in Irishtown has been stalled following issues from the local planners.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

holyhead wrote: »
    I see where the proposed entertainment centre in the old Texas Centre in Irishtown has been stalled following issues from the local planners.

Another potential Apple Data Centre in Athenry situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

monksfield bealnamulla estate

any views on this location ?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Yes, Lovely part of the town. Nice clean estate. Not full of scum like a lot of the other estates around the town.

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Decent area, rented there myself at one point. Still a lot of rental properties. Good location near supermarket, doctors office, schools and town bus route if needed. Some parts can be a pain to find parking in right outside your home but never had a complaint while living there over neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

I see there is a new Chinese open beside alfredos, I think it is were the kebab shop used to be, anyone try it out yet. I think the town could do with a seriously good Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Colham

Steven81 wrote: »
    I see there is a new Chinese open beside alfredos, I think it is were the kebab shop used to be, anyone try it out yet. I think the town could do with a seriously good Chinese.

The Jia Jia is not bad.

Speaking of food. Where is the best place to get a full Irish breaky in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

[QUOTE=Colham;Speaking of food. Where is the best place to get a full Irish breaky in town?[/QUOTE]

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurants-g212091-Athlone_County_Westmeath.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

The Jia Jia is not bad.

Savoury Fare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Beans and Leaves is very good. If you are a bit more adventurous in what you’ll eat beyond a Full Irish the Bastion Kitchen is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Does Athlone really need 2 Aldi shops?
    The Aldi there now is old and too small, look at the one in Roscommon to see what the newer ones look like, way more spacious and modern. Lidl also is too small, lots of specials stored in storeroom as no room on shop floor, again look at new Lidl in Castlerea, very very nice and huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

The Jia Jia is not bad.

I highly recommend two. First is loaves and fishes. It's huge and tasty. It used to be better, they used to do butchers sausages in the breakfast. They now use those catering sausages like most other places. But it's a hunger buster. Their brown bread is excellent.

The other is corner house bistro. It's not as big, but is excellent.

The rest are all the same. Best value one is Kelly's in monksland. Savoury fare is the worst value IMHO. It's the usual cheap catering fry ingredients but at premium price.

Now must get my cholesterol checked...

Anyone know where there is a quality shoeshop in Athlone..? used to shop in Parsons last time I lived here but that is closed now. Looking for somewhere with good quality mans and ladies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Anyone know where there is a quality shoeshop in Athlone..? used to shop in Parsons last time I lived here but that is closed now. Looking for somewhere with good quality mans and ladies.

Clarks in the new town centre, Swarbiggs in Golden island.
    Other options too Sketchers new town centre, Paul Byron opposite Dunnes Irish town.

Clarks in the new town centre, Swarbiggs in Golden island.
    Other options too Sketchers new town centre, Paul Byron opposite Dunnes Irish town.
    Thanks, tried all four, don't have what either I or my OH are looking for, I'm looking for handmade shoes...Goodyear welted...found a shop in Mullingar and Castlebar that sells them but no luck in Athlone so far.

Can't say what makes OH is looking for but usually gets them in same shops as myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

For that type of shoe, try mens department of Burgess. They used to stock barker English hand made shoes, which do come in that style I think.

rn wrote: »
    For that type of shoe, try mens department of Burgess. They used to stock barker English hand made shoes, which do come in that style I think.
    Ive tried it also, have had a bad experience with Barker shoes so not keen on trying them again, best so far are Loakes so I stick with them.

Having said that I will take a look in Burgess again, thanks.

Got this from Boxer re: the Greenway this morning

The project, from the White Gates on the Ballymahon Road, includes the Greenway bridge between the Athlone Marina and the Luan Gallery.

Roughan and O’Donovan/AECOM alliance are doing the work on this

The focus on installing the new greenway surface and public lighting between the White Gates and Athlone Marina will be done first and it is expected to be open by next summer (2020)

Separately, tenders have been sought for a contractor to work on the Greenway project from the west side of Athlone as far as Galway, and it's expected that a contractor will be appointed for this stretch of the project at some stage in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Got this from Boxer re: the Greenway this morning

The project, from the White Gates on the Ballymahon Road, includes the Greenway bridge between the Athlone Marina and the Luan Gallery.

Roughan and O’Donovan/AECOM alliance are doing the work on this

The focus on installing the new greenway surface and public lighting between the White Gates and Athlone Marina will be done first and it is expected to be open by next summer (2020)

Separately, tenders have been sought for a contractor to work on the Greenway project from the west side of Athlone as far as Galway, and it's expected that a contractor will be appointed for this stretch of the project at some stage in the coming months.

have they agreed a route?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

have they agreed a route?

They agreed South as far as Shannonbridge and then up the old canal to Ballinasloe, as far as I remember. Form there on they need a new approach - may involve CPOing farmland, and the farmers are not co-operating to date.

• Advertisement

They agreed South as far as Shannonbridge and then up the old canal to Ballinasloe, as far as I remember. Form there on they need a new approach - may involve CPOing farmland, and the farmers are not co-operating to date.

Yeah, to elaborate, the article from before said..

following the rail line to Daneshill before turning southwards in Roscommon.

Daneshill is an estate in Monksland

One has to imagine a bit of awkwardness going through the Barracks, crossing the canal etc but if its beside the line its doable-ish. Need some serious segregation - its a busy line

Advertisement