Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It was very rash and unprofessional comment for Boxer to make. Yes it's understandable to feel quite annoyed at not getting the vote you may have expected and when you may feel you have served the electorate well. Curse and swear and bang your fist in private. Then put on a brave face and thank those who supported you. The thing is people will remember those comments he made last Sunday and not the work he has done while being a TD and councillor.

I thought Boxer was good when he was a local councillor. I can see him now going back to operating as a local councillor under the guise as his son. Can I ask what has his son done since being elected last May? Genuine question. I notice other councillors from time to time in newspaper and online articles, even if it's just to make a comment on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    With the help of the army ... who he subsequently turned his back on

Isnt that the Army's job though to help out when needed? I know they do be busy doing laps of the town and shooting a few bullets out in Carna but they are expected do a bit when needed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Can I ask what has his son done since being elected last May? Genuine question. I notice other councillors from time to time in newspaper and online articles, even if it's just to make a comment on something.

Acting as a place holder for Boxer
    Although he could have tried to claim this mornings road conditions as the ice rink that was past of his election campaign :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Acting as a place holder for Boxer
    Although he could have tried to claim this mornings road conditions as the ice rink that was past of his election campaign :D

Hearing rumours that Boxer wants to be co opted onto the council, his son stepping down in his favour. Serious levels of contempt if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Hearing rumours that Boxer wants to be co opted onto the council, his son stepping down in his favour. Serious levels of contempt if true.

Yep that's the exact rumor that's been going around ... not as easy though as just deciding it between themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

Does anyone remember Ollie's sandwich bar in pearse street ?They were amazing sambo's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Does anyone remember Ollie's sandwich bar in pearse street ?They were amazing sambo's.

Yeah they were for the time pretty good compared to what was on offer in the town, he had a place down near the Charcoal grill for a while. Opposite side of the street. I believe he's in the house selling game now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

If boxer does a family swap onto council, I would definitely not support that.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

they were exceptional!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Yeah they were for the time pretty good compared to what was on offer in the town, he had a place down near the Charcoal grill for a while. Opposite side of the street. I believe he's in the house selling game now

Became an auctioneer "overnight " apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Has the cycle track extension helped much with the schools traffic. The obvious ample parking around Athlone Town Stadium and 2 minute walk for the kids from there, allowing the folks back onto the bypass seems to be a winner in theory. That said ive not drove by other side at rush hour in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Here's where the problem is:
    ...2 minute walk for the kids from there

Kids getting ferried to school aren't gonna walk when they can be chauffeur driven to the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Was like a ghost town this morning at 8:20 .
    Some difference in the traffic.

I believe the school busses plan to use Athlone Town Stadium car park to pick up /drop off for 3 secondary schools in near future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Has the cycle track extension helped much with the schools traffic. The obvious ample parking around Athlone Town Stadium and 2 minute walk for the kids from there, allowing the folks back onto the bypass seems to be a winner in theory. That said ive not drove by other side at rush hour in ages

is the marist accessible from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Can anyone explain the traffic light strategy that is in place at Junction 10 Eastwards exit on the Athlone bypass as it heads left towards Ballymahon and the lights immediately afterwards left to Clonbrusk and right to Cloghanboy Avenue, and just before the next set of lights controlling the junction at Croghan's SuperValu?

In my lifetime, I have probably driven a million or more miles, in USA/Canada and across Europe.

I cannot recall a less co-ordinated set of junctions with such a terrible set of driver obstacles that appear to have been deliberately put in place.

THEIR SEQUENCING IS AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE!!!

Those allegedly in authority (who are earning an income off my residency of Athlone and the thousands of others like me), please study it and sort it out!

Short answer, someone in traffic management had shares in a traffic light company and installed as many sets as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Blanco100 wrote: »
    is the marist accessible from there?

Yes, West along the Greenway, past the old Athlone Town pitch and in the back gate, but it is full kilometer, not 2 minutes walk. And the back gate is locked until someone opens it in the morning.

500m to the tech, 800m to the Bower.

Yes, West along the Greenway, past the old Athlone Town pitch and in the back gate, but it is full kilometer, not 2 minutes walk. And the back gate is locked until someone opens it in the morning.

500m to the tech, 800m to the Bower.

Aye the schools are all bordered by the 2 tracks. In the case of the Marist and Bower, its the live track that little feet arent allowed on.

Still, the tech has the lions share of students - you'd think it would help traffic being so close to the greenway and bypass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the traffic light strategy that is in place at Junction 10 Eastwards exit on the Athlone bypass as it heads left towards Ballymahon and the lights immediately afterwards left to Clonbrusk and right to Cloghanboy Avenue, and just before the next set of lights controlling the junction at Croghan's SuperValu?

In my lifetime, I have probably driven a million or more miles, in USA/Canada and across Europe.

I cannot recall a less co-ordinated set of junctions with such a terrible set of driver obstacles that appear to have been deliberately put in place.

THEIR SEQUENCING IS AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE!!!

Those allegedly in authority (who are earning an income off my residency of Athlone and the thousands of others like me), please study it and sort it out!
    Ah it's not that bad at all, I drive it twice a day and apart from a few glitches particularly early on they do a good job.

• Advertisement

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Ah it's not that bad at all, I drive it twice a day and apart from a few glitches particularly early on they do a good job.
    Three sets of lights in close proximety, what can go wrong!
    They're hopeless during peak periods, they should have used mini roundabouts for the two minor roads.

I'm on the 3oclock train departing galway for Dublin and I'm getting off in Athlone.The train is wedged,people are having to stand after paying big money for a seat.It was the same last thursday as well with people having to stand.Surely this is unfair and unsafe.An extra carriage on the train would solve the problem.Has anyone else experienced this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I'm on the 3oclock train departing galway for Dublin and I'm getting off in Athlone.The train is wedged,people are having to stand after paying big money for a seat.It was the same last thursday as well with people having to stand.Surely this is unfair and unsafe.An extra carriage on the train would solve the problem.Has anyone else experienced this ?

Not sure what this has to do with Athlone.....

Not sure what this has to do with Athlone.....

It's the train to Athlone used by loads of Athlonians

I see boxer is still out keeping people informed of rising floodwater on social media in real time, while sorca Clark is taking out "go raibh mile" adds in athlone advertiser.

rn wrote: »
    I see boxer is still out keeping people informed of rising floodwater on social media in real time, while sorca Clark is taking out "go raibh mile" adds in athlone advertiser.

Expected nothing less.

Good man Boxer. A worker.

Fairness im quite sure that most elected in SF midlands are simple foot soldiers and quota fillers who won't be making much noise themselves. Similar to McFadden in FG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It's the train to Athlone used by loads of Athlonians

And used by a lot more people during mid term.

If your train is or can be full, either book a seat or arrive 20 minutes before departure.

Its what i do every evening. 4.50 arriving, 5.10 departure. The train ends up packed but i'm already sitting, headphones on, doing work on laptop so don't need to hear the god-awful as-gaeilge announcements or commuter/weirdo moans.

The early bird catches the worm.

Town floods just after Mr Flood gets kicked out. No luck at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Town floods just after Mr Flood gets kicked out. No luck at all

I’d say he’s raging it didn’t happen 4 weeks ago.

Advertisement