Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

1 confirmed case in Moate

Friend of a friend

He’s at home in bed but doing ok by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SushiLover31

Friend of a friend

Would you know if he has been around the town in the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SushiLover31

Mollycam wrote: »
    Can anyone advise what situation like in Mullingar hospital. My elderly parent is very unwell with a non-covid 19 condition but as a family very reluctant to have hospitalised. Our fear is we will never see them again if hospital goes into emergency state in coming weeks and we would assume elderly would not be a priority ??

I know at least one of the medical staff has been diagnosed with COVID 19.

Would you know if he has been around the town in the last few days?

AFAIK he’s been locked in his house for at least the last week

Was waiting a couple of days to be tested then a couple more for results but stayed home all that time

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mollycam

flazio wrote: »
    Could you try a GP out of hours service?
    Yes . Have spoken to GP who thinks hospital not bad as of yet, but understands our reluctance .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Friend of a friend

Do you happen to know where the person thinks they picked it up? Travel abroad? An infected person or do they know?

Do you happen to know where the person thinks they picked it up? Travel abroad? An infected person or do they know?

Wouldn’t know him well enough to ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Does it matter?

Does it matter?
    Probably not, the virus in out in the general community now, so he could have got it from anyone, even if he had arrived from one of the "hotspots".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Probably not, the virus in out in the general community now, so he could have got it from anyone, even if he had arrived from one of the "hotspots".

That's the thing it could have been picked up anywhere. People need to practice social distancing ( something I had to explain 3 times today. Also hand washing.
    I was amused though today I was in the CU a lady came in wearing gloves. She pulled one of them off by using her teeth so she could use a pen. Far better to dispense with gloves and just wash the hands regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Mindfulmilo

does anyone have any suggestions for good places to go for walks in or around the athlone area? thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

There's the "Golden Mile" where you simply follow the Shannon River northbound on the west side for some nice scenary.

Long walks, look up the "Monksland Way" which i think is around 8Km. More about quantity than quality of scenery of course.

You have the rail trail also where you could walk as far as Mullingar but again, not alot of scenery. Good for a cycle as once your out of the A-Town urban area, you can plough on human-traffic free.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

does anyone have any suggestions for good places to go for walks in or around the athlone area? thank you

Portlick is a beautiful spot for walks.

Mote Park outside Roscommon Town is nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

There's a nice 4k loop that starts at the mill bar. Head down by Mill Cross housing estate and follow the road into the countryside. Eventually the road turns into a short 300m of cow path and then back into road again. You come out by a bridge over the cross river. Go left to bring you back to tuam Road. At the tuam Road take left again to bring you to Mill bar.

Note it's a walk on public roads, with no footpath so exercise due care with possible traffic.

rn wrote: »
    There's a nice 4k loop that starts at the mill bar. Head down by Mill Cross housing estate and follow the road into the countryside. Eventually the road turns into a short 300m of cow path and then back into road again. You come out by a bridge over the cross river. Go left to bring you back to tuam Road. At the tuam Road take left again to bring you to Mill bar.

Note it's a walk on public roads, with no footpath so exercise due care with possible traffic.

Extreme care i would say there. I drive that road alot and its rare to meet a pedestrian on it due to the danger of it. Alot of hilly terrain, so a careless driver and daredevil pedestrian can be a bad combo. Personally wouldn't recommend any walk that takes in the Tuam road west of Bealnamulla for safety reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

I walk it regularly and there's a lot of people who do it as I'm meeting them every day, so I wouldn't agree it's a quiet walk. But as I warned, it's normal country road with no footpath, so exercise due caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There's a car park a couple of kms out of Athlone on the Greenway. You get to it by taking the first left on the old Moate road after the turn for Ferbane. It's far enough out of Athlone that it should be quieter than somewhere like Garrycastle or Moate Golf club/Station

Westmeath with the 4th highest number of cases per county is worrying giving where the county would side regards population. Bound to be multiple cases around Athlone I would suspect.

With two major commuter towns, it's not that big a surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

With two major commuter towns, it's not that big a surprise.

True, although the difference between Westmeath and many other counties per head of population is a bit mental. Louth has a bigger population and 2 bigger commuter towns than Athlone or Mullingar, but only about half of the cases. Just goes to show how big a factor community spread is becoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

True, although the difference between Westmeath and many other counties per head of population is a bit mental. Louth has a bigger population and 2 bigger commuter towns than Athlone or Mullingar, but only about half of the cases. Just goes to show how big a factor community spread is becoming.

How many in Westmeath as of tonight?

Its rife in every county, id say testing here must be just far more efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Blanco100 wrote: »
    How many in Westmeath as of tonight?

Its rife in every county, id say testing here must be just far more efficient.

I've been getting my figures here, but those are as of Friday night. It was 67 in Westmeath compared to 46 in Meath, 29 in Offaly and 10 in both Roscommon and Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Westmeath with the 4th highest number of cases per county is worrying giving where the county would side regards population. Bound to be multiple cases around Athlone I would suspect.

Probably stag and hen parties from Dublin and elsewhere going to Athlone, be interesting to see the figures also for Carrick on Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Probably stag and hen parties from Dublin and elsewhere going to Athlone, be interesting to see the figures also for Carrick on Shannon.

Leitrim is one of the lowest in the country but without figures for testing all speculation is meaningless. Having said that I am surprised at high figures for Westmeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Figures are meaningless due to the slow testing, etc. The key figures to worry about are the ICU numbers. If people isolate when symptoms come on, it will help dramatically, but may not be tested. Same for people staying home. Good to see most people are adhering to that. Easter weekend is the expected peak

David O Doherty and his folks had the right idea. Theyve gone from Dublin to Achill Island on a family holiday home to wade this out. The more remote, the better. Im surprised that more havent done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

David O Doherty and his folks had the right idea. Theyve gone from Dublin to Achill Island on a family holiday home to wade this out. The more remote, the better. Im surprised that more havent done it.

Is that not why locals in lahinch and kilkee were giving out, the other weekend? Influx of Dublin reg cars and camper vans all heading west with the same idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Fann Linn wrote: »

Maybe more Westmeath folk attended Cheltenham races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Does anyone know what takeaways are still open and doing deliveries?

Advertisement