Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ceirseach

How come there are still construction workers on sites in Athlone? Down at the docks and doing roofs in battery hgts? They aren’t 2m apart. Rest of builders laid off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Is that not why locals in lahinch and kilkee were giving out, the other weekend? Influx of Dublin reg cars and camper vans all heading west with the same idea.

I guess they've as much of a right to try and survive this as anyone else. More power to them

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Ceirseach wrote: »
    How come there are still construction workers on sites in Athlone? Down at the docks and doing roofs in battery hgts? They aren’t 2m apart. Rest of builders laid off

Are the sites a safety issue if left the way they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

Demonique wrote: »
    Does anyone know what takeaways are still open and doing deliveries?

Kin kao are, but Wed-Sun. Roma in monksland is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Now how are we all going to cope with this lock down?
    https://www.facebook.com/167613868000/posts/10157979473438001/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Stichy

Dead Centre Brewing (Thursday to Sunday)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Cookhouse

Murphy's Law pub are doing take away and delivery dinners 4pm-9pm I think too

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Anyone in the Auburn heights area having issues with landline/broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

We have a few cases from Cheltenham here in Mullingar members of An Ga.....

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Liamo57 wrote: »

Rumours of a few cases out around Mount Temple direction after people coming home from Cheltenham. Not sure if there is any truth to it hopefully not and if it is true I hope the clowns who went dont end up killing anyone by infecting them due to their selfish and ridiculous decision to go to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Liamo57 wrote: »

That’s a bit of a sweeping statement, cheltenham is over three weeks tomorrow the incubation period for corona virus is 2 to 14 days for symptoms to appear so last weekend by Saturday are you saying they all got it by then?
    Or did one of them get it during the course of their duties and infect the others in the station?
    Or are you another who has jumped on the blame train for cheltenham when premier league matches and no travel restrictions were/are in place at airports and sea ports for tourists? It’s to easy blame the race goers when due to the nature of a guards work they’ll come into contact with a lot more people than most.
    They could have picked it up anywhere.
    Generalisations aren’t going to help now are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I says wrote: »
    Generalisations aren’t going to help now are they?

Skipping Cheltenham would have helped.

Skipping Cheltenham would have helped.

Skipping premier league matches, commuting to London to work, allowing Italian tourists into the country Tis all moot points now

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

Has anyone eaten in that new place, Tesnack

BTW, this is a very handy post Athlone community radio have put together
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10158478714674396&type=3?sfnsn=mo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Skipping premier league matches, commuting to London to work, allowing Italian tourists into the country Tis all moot points now

Anyone that went to Cheltenham is an idiot.

Cheltenham was on when the majority of public events were cancelled.

It's not as if we didn't know that this was becoming a serious issue, unless they had their head buried up the horses arses

Anyone that went to Cheltenham is an idiot.

Cheltenham was on when the majority of public events were cancelled.

It's not as if we didn't know that this was becoming a serious issue, unless they had their head buried up the horses arses

Champions league matches in England as well
    Liverpool vs athletico first one comes to mind.
    Where did the pl bury their heads?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we also need to remember that at the time business and economy came first, politicians were lobbied by business leaders to ignore the medical advice and not to shutdown freedom of movement for the sake of the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Champions league matches in England as well
    Liverpool vs athletico first one comes to mind.
    Where did the pl bury their heads?

And look at the mess the UK are in?

Ireland closed their schools the same week there were 55k at that game.

We knew about this virus in Europe by February, we seen the spread and the deaths, it was in the UK at that point.

45k have died in Europe yet there were 3000 people congregated in a park in London yesterday

Thankfully most people are taking this serious, and others dont seem to have the capacity to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I don't blame them one bit, people coming from high covid areas to low ones in order to 'escape' but they bring the virus with them and infect the locals!

• Advertisement

And look at the mess the UK are in?

Ireland closed their schools the same week there were 55k at that game.

We knew about this virus in Europe by February, we seen the spread and the deaths, it was in the UK at that point.

45k have died in Europe yet there were 3000 people congregated in a park in London yesterday

Thankfully most people are taking this serious, and others dont seem to have the capacity to

Look people are fcuking stupid as an experiment was done years ago if a nuclear bomb was dropped people still expect to live. I’m now part of a contact tracing team and when you start digging through a persons movement you see how fcuking stupid people are, regarding social distancing.
    This is here to stay and will only get worse because we as a species are fcuking eejits.
    Social distant ye fcuking gobsheens it will happen to you.

I admire your optimism.

flazio wrote: »
    I admire your optimism.

No such thing as optimism one person who had the symptoms went into isolation from work by the time the tracing was done 8 people had to go because they didn’t keep social distant protocols in the canteen during meal breaks.
    So yeah fcuking eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Westmeath 2nd worst county in country per 100,000 population.
    Any information on the above and what caused this?
    I see in westmeath independent over 50 medical staff 'in midlands' have corona

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

carq wrote: »
    Westmeath 2nd worst county in country per 100,000 population.
    Any information on the above and what caused this?
    I see in westmeath independent over 50 medical staff 'in midlands' have corona

I really think it is ridiculous that Covid hotspot locations are not being published at least at town level. They ought to be able to warn ppl that they are at particular risk in such locations and need to re-double their efforts at mitigation.

For example, if Athlone is a hotspot, ppl in Athlone should be made aware of that. Otherwise, how can ppl be expected to make really extreme self-isolation decisions on very poor information. This is made doubly important, given the almost total lack of access to testing. We should realise that, although we all believe we are in a lockdown, it's nothing like what is having to be done in Italy's Lombardy region, and we don't want to have to repeat such measures here.

We can't really make proper decisions if we are being deprived of FULL information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I really think it is ridiculous that Covid hotspot locations are not being published at least at town level. They ought to be able to warn ppl that they are at particular risk in such locations and need to re-double their efforts at mitigation.

For example, if Athlone is a hotspot, ppl in Athlone should be made aware of that. Otherwise, how can ppl be expected to make really extreme self-isolation decisions on very poor information. This is made doubly important, given the almost total lack of access to testing. We should realise that, although we all believe we are in a lockdown, it's nothing like what is having to be done in Italy's Lombardy region, and we don't want to have to repeat such measures here.

We can't really make proper decisions if we are being deprived of FULL information.

If they said Mullingar or Athlone had a big cluster what would you do differently? Everyone should be washing hands regularity, maintaining physical distancing and only leaving the house when necessary. I dont see how knowing how many cases are in a town should affect your behaviour unless you are not following the above steps properly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

If they said Mullingar or Athlone had a big cluster what would you do differently? Everyone should be washing hands regularity, maintaining physical distancing and only leaving the house when necessary. I dont see how knowing how many cases are in a town should affect your behaviour unless you are not following the above steps properly

If you're right, then the same thinking would suggest we don't need to know how many cases exist at a county level.... because we SHOULD all be doing what we're told to do. Then, if not needed at a town or county level, do we even need to know what is the picture at a National level? Clearly such thinking would be ridiculous...

We have a RIGHT to the information, just as we have a DUTY to follow the national recommendations.

But say then that, Rochfortbridge for example doesn't have any cases, well then that would mean someone might decide to visit their parents there, they might have the bug without any symptoms, and before you know it, it's hit Rochfortbridge hard. Just assume it's everywhere and keep your hands clean.

There's no point knowing the clusters because the numbers are lagging indicators of infection. They only tell us where we have identified infections after the infections have been occurring for up to a week.

The spreaders are the ones who don't know they have it for the 24-72 hours before the exhibit symptoms, then require another 2-7 days to obtain a test result.

There's a good point for not making individual towns numbers known as it almost encourages people to ignore the lock down advice in those areas. Those areas could by 2-14 days from a major cluster by being lax on self isolation, social distancing and excellent hand hygiene.

So I don't think the general public have a right to know if their town or village has cases, because we're too stupid to know what to do with that information. Just assume it's in Ireland, follow the advice. Strictly.

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »

The problem here is the lead time to give you FULL information means that information is useless to you by the time you get it. The infection has a nice relatively long incubation time of a few days, during which time you're spreading it round the community. And by the time you find our your in a hot spot, it's too late to do anything.

It's the areas that have no infection that have to take strictest measures.

Advertisement