Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

TimHorton wrote: »
    Exactly how did a local TD benefit you directly ?

I’m not sure I’ve ever directly benefited from any TD but it’s fair to say it’s better for an area to have a local representative sitting at the cabinet table than not. Also, it’s better to have a local representative in the Dail in opposition than not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I have directly benefited from having Mary O'Rourke as a TD, she was very helpful and did quite a lot for something I was involved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Can't see the dub who was probably rehoused in Mullingar doing more for the town than boxer tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

dePeatrick wrote: »
    I have directly benefited from having Mary O'Rourke as a TD, she was very helpful and did quite a lot for something I was involved in.

You personally benefited ? Sounds Dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

I’m not sure I’ve ever directly benefited from any TD but it’s fair to say it’s better for an area to have a local representative sitting at the cabinet table than not. Also, it’s better to have a local representative in the Dail in opposition than not at all.

Even if boxer had been elected , he had no chance of getting to keep his ministerial job or any job . We survived when Mary O’Rourke lost her seat

• Advertisement

You personally benefited ? Sounds Dodgy
    Not in the slightest, she helped an association I was involved with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Not in the slightest, she helped an association I was involved with.

You mean your organaisation secured a grant/funding using her influence rather than actually on ts own merits.That's the actual problem with Parish Pump politics.
    Look at Germany which has great Heath Service , Accessible and Afforadable Housing and an amazing state pension that kicks in at the moment at 65..

No TD who is obsessed with local issues will resolve our Health/Housing Crisis while keeping the Parish Pump going...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

I think your theories are more suited to the politics forums Tim.

Boxer did well out of the crisis, holding his job 4 months longer due to the crisis.

Of course we'll survive with no government TD or minister in the area, but we'll be overlooked for lots of stuff with out one. Athlone is relatively lucky with a good pot of big employers, that have been been broadly recession proof so far in last 20 years unlike other regional towns. Although this coming recession is going to be a bit different and more unpredictable.

You mean your organaisation secured a grant/funding using her influence rather than actually on ts own merits.That's the actual problem with Parish Pump politics.
    Look at Germany which has great Heath Service , Accessible and Afforadable Housing and an amazing state pension that kicks in at the moment at 65..

No TD who is obsessed with local issues will resolve our Health/Housing Crisis while keeping the Parish Pump going...
    No I don't, we did not receive a single penny in funding, stop trying to read something into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Ok folks, what pubs have opened? I only know of Murphys Law but haven't been in town yet

Yes i get that only the restauranty ones can open atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Seen on Facebook that the Bounty is open for lunch and dinner today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I won't be near pub for a while so not bothered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I won't be near pub for a while so not bothered

To be honest I don't really have any real desire to go to a pub either.

The "open de pubs ta feck" brigade falling all over each other wont help matters.

Neither do I, the idea of being in a pre-Covid packed pub gives me cold sweats. I'm quite sure there will not be many packed pubs but we will get a second wave as sure as night follows day.

A month ago I read that only 5% of the population has been exposed to the virus, if true we are not at the end, we are at the beginning albeit slowed down considerably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Neither do I, the idea of being in a pre-Covid packed pub gives me cold sweats. I'm quite sure there will not be many packed pubs but we will get a second wave as sure as night follows day.

A month ago I read that only 5% of the population has been exposed to the virus, if true we are not at the end, we are at the beginning albeit slowed down considerably.

Let's wait until the first wave is over before we hope for a second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I've heard that The Shack, Gerties, Dead Centre, Murphy's Law and Gertie's are all open.

I can understand a lot of people not wanting to chance the pubs yet, but some are obviously dying to get out for a jar and a bite to eat for the first time in 4 months and more power to them, as long as they and the proprietors don't take the piss.

Having said all that, I actually wish they had waited another 3 or 4 weeks to open up. There are still too many cases floating around the community for this not to cause some sort of a spike, in my opinion. Hope I'm wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I've heard that The Shack, Gerties, Dead Centre, Murphy's Law and Gertie's are all open.

The Bounty reopened on Monday too

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

The Dark Horse opens today too.

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    The Dark Horse opens today too.

A great spot too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Any one have any info about the SHD planning application behind SuperValu

Just saw that Lidl has been granted permission to build in Baylough, great news for the area and the West side of Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

godtabh wrote: »
    Any one have any info about the SHD planning application behind SuperValu

This possibly?

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/2020/07/02/plans-to-be-lodged-for-400-homes-in-coosan-area/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Anyone know what is Arm Academy in monksland beside athlone springs

cena wrote: »
    Anyone know what is Arm Academy in monksland beside athlone springs
    Sounds like a place for ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Just saw that Lidl has been granted permission to build in Baylough, great news for the area and the West side of Athlone.

Decent news. IMO this should have been done further west like Monksland or even Bealnamulla where alot live.

Still beggars cant be choosers

Decent news. IMO this should have been done further west like Monksland or even Bealnamulla where alot live.

Still beggars cant be choosers
    From what I understand, planning was refused in Monkslands several times due to objections from an established retailer in the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

This time planning application was westmeath coco.

From what I understand, planning was refused in Monkslands several times due to objections from an established retailer in the area!

No just one retailer, I could name at least 10 separate businesses that objected including a business owner who only operates on the east side of the town and has no interest in setting up in the area.

• Advertisement

rn wrote: »
    This time planning application was westmeath coco.

A provision for social housing helped.

Advertisement