Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

I doubt if anyone has sampled every coffee shop in the town, I certainly have not. Bastion Kitchen & Caffé Nero are very good for an Americano which is my coffee of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

I know feic all about coffee, but my wife likes a Costa every now and again. Hers is a cappuccino.

I know corner house bistro, loaves and fishes and kellys monksland do nice ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭munsterman2008

I have a block shed around the back of the house - I'd like to get some quotes (when restrictions permit same, of course) in converting same into a home office. It will need a roof (tin only at present) and other work of course. Anyone has recommendations for contractors on such a project?

Thank you.

I recommend Liam Murray Construction http://www.liammurrayconstruction.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

martin1 wrote: »
    Coffee shops, coffee shops every where,
    Opening here and opening there
    All I ask, and not in jest
    which one has the coffee best ? :D

Me thinks Nave in the Square has the nicest Americano

I'd say Gloria Jeans in the town centre for an Americano, very expensive though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭munsterman2008

Looking for another local recommendation please - a house alarm - just something simple, covering a mid terrace house so panel, a few sensors, the external box.

No ongoing payments i.e. contacts you when it goes off via app, or ongoing monitoring.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: if you are recommending from experience it would be helpful if you could disclose ball park what you paid for your system from your recommended provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭eltonyio

Cant help with price, but Xtra Security are good, have used them for a few other jobs on security gates. Another option you might consider is to buy something like a Yale home starter alarm kit and self-install. They are wifi based so no cabling work needed. You can also monitor it using an app and there's no fee/ sub for that. It depends on your needs if that would suit or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭roosterman71

eltonyio wrote: »
    there's no fee/ sub for that.

Not yet there's not. There are ongoing problems with companies developing and selling products like this. Once people are in on their eco system, then they can charge. Like it would be easy to prevent giving you access to devices you bought with paying a sub. Your snookered then. I recall a while ago reading about a house heating thermostat where it could be used via a phone app. Next thing, they charged a sub and if you didn't pay the temp was set to 18 degrees and you couldn't change it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Moonteach8

Any recommendations or ideas for some outdoor dates in Athlone? Walks, outdoor seating areas, coffee places?

Moonteach8 wrote: »
    Any recommendations or ideas for some outdoor dates in Athlone? Walks, outdoor seating areas, coffee places?

I'd recommend burgess Park in athlone itself. Outside, the millennium Wood at portlick is very nice and the park beside the heritage park in moate are nice. In Roscommon moate Park or roscommon Town Park are lovely too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Coosan Point is nice. Always ducks and swans around plus picnic benches.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Along the greenway perhaps. Never found central Athlone great for walking really. Stroll along by the river from Burgess park, over and across the bridge and down to the lock on the other side. I’m sure some of the coffee places are open there for takeaways. The park in Moate is very nice. There’s out by the water at the Hodson Bay hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

I used to walk from the docks down along the callows as far as where the canal joins the river and loop back. Not sure what state it's in these days though as it's been many yrs since I've been down therebut in sunny weather it used to be nice to sit feeding the swans around there. Pity there isn't a pedestrian bridge over the weir wall linking with Burgess park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

pawrick wrote: »
    I used to walk from the docks down along the callows as far as where the canal joins the river and loop back. Not sure what state it's in these days though as it's been many yrs since I've been down therebut in sunny weather it used to be nice to sit feeding the swans around there. Pity there isn't a pedestrian bridge over the weir wall linking with Burgess park.

That is a lovely walk. Haven't done it in about 4 years, but can't imagine it has deteriorated, it was always relatively popular. Wear appropriate attire if so, it is quite grassy down the callows.

Start at Bastion Quay apartments and follow the trail down as far as the silver bridge at the south end of the canal, you can then turn and walk back the way you came or else follow the canal road which brings you out at Deerpark. The trail shows up fairly clearly on Google Earth if you have a look.

Great start to the season for Athlone and Cabsy.

Winning in galway followed by cork is some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Great start to the season for Athlone and Cabsy.

Winning in galway followed by cork is some achievement.

Galway was a home game.

TimHorton wrote: »
    Galway was a home game.

Good spot. Still, some wins against teams they don't usually have luck against. A fantastic start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Backed up by another good win in Bray. Best run of results I can remember since Roddy was in charge. Let's hope they can keep it up and make a good run at promotion this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

With the news that Carphone has gone belly up I've been thinking that Domino's and Subway should bandy together and buy the store between them and put in some indoor tables and chairs. (Post covid of course)

Do Dominos do dine in anywhere?

• Advertisement

Some work being seen on the last KM of the cycleway to Abbey Road from vantage point of the white gates. Frustrating waiting for this to get done for so long but with this and the (much longer wait) bridge, there's finally going to be a legal and practical way for a cyclist to go from Westside to Eastside

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Plenty of activity at the other end as well. They've lowered the walls at the back of the hospital, I think put in a new opening too, and fencing has gone up on the other side of the road towards the old abbey.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

Anybody know what's going into the old Mr Price down by Golden Island

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

batman75 wrote: »

Where is Mr. Price gone? Haven’t been in town since before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Where is Mr. Price gone? Haven’t been in town since before Christmas.

They moved out to Cornamaddy where their warehouse was in February. They may be back in the Diskin Centre yet!

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/2021/02/23/council-refuses-planning-approval-for-mr-price-shop/

They might move the whole lot out of Athlone in retaliation. But I do agree with Westmeath Co Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

batman75 wrote: »
    Afaik The whole block is being levelled and rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

rn wrote: »
    They might move the whole lot out of Athlone in retaliation. But I do agree with Westmeath Co Co.
    I doubt it, nationwide distribution centre and albeit the finest Mr Price retail I have been in, not a lot of footfall there tbh. It’s very convenient for me to drop into as I am passing there regularly but if it was in such an out of the way place as it is for a lot of people I doubt it would cross my mind.

They'll have to close the retail end now.

• Advertisement

4 wins in a row for the mighty town!

Sorry for spamming boards with this stuff but we don't have this sort of run more than once a decade so I may enjoy it! :pac:

Advertisement