Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours steal my post

Options
  • 03-05-2017 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Apologies if posted in wrong place mods please move if need be :)
    A couple of parcels have gone missing on me in the past I had a fair idea who it was but alas had no proof
    Today a courier company delivered a parcel when I wasn't home and left it with the neighbours (a) who signed a different name and of course denied all knowledge of this
    I rang said courier who confirmed which house it went to and this was mentioned to neighbour (b)
    And said courier will be back to the house where he dropped off to retrieve it tomorrow and surprise surprise the parcel was handed into me no more that 20 mins later
    Kind of sickening this is happening again but what can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

js35 wrote: »
    Apologies if posted in wrong place mods please move if need be :)
    A couple of parcels have gone missing on me in the past I had a fair idea who it was but alas had no proof
    Today a courier company delivered a parcel when I wasn't home and left it with the neighbours (a) who signed a different name and of course denied all knowledge of this
    I rang said courier who confirmed which house it went to and this was mentioned to neighbour (b)
    And said courier will be back to the house where he dropped off to retrieve it tomorrow and surprise surprise the parcel was handed into me no more that 20 mins later
    Kind of sickening this is happening again but what can I do?

Tell the courier not to drop to these neighbours nominated a trusted drop point other neighbours near ny garage it's not the courier desicion where to drop ur parcel

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Use parcel motel

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Tommyaya4 wrote: »
    Tell the courier not to drop to these neighbours nominated a trusted drop point other neighbours near ny garage it's not the courier desicion where to drop ur parcel
    I instructed for parcel only to be delivered to my address not with neighbours?
    Should I also tell the courier that the neighbour also signed for my parcel with a fake name ? This I know for definite as I followed the tracking number online

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

I instructed for parcel only to be delivered to my address not with neighbours?
    Should I also tell the courier that the neighbour also signed for my parcel with a fake name ? This I know for definite as I followed the tracking number online
    If the courier delivered to an address without your permission regardless of who signed for the parcel the courier is responsible for any loss encured by who they have to contact you to get permission to deliver to another address

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

If the courier delivered to an address without your permission regardless of who signed for the parcel the courier is responsible for any loss encured by who they have to contact you to get permission to deliver to another address

Cheers for the advice Tommy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Parcel Motel or courier to a friend/relatives house would be ideal.

Or you could prank her.........welcome to my specialty ;)

You could: mail yourself a dye bomb!

or plant a GPS fob in your letters and leave them to be found by said neighbour,

or place a camera, with wifi, and email yourself a package containing a letter. You can say whatever you want to freak them out in this letter like by explaining that they have been caught on camera and to never touch your items again, or else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

The contract is between the courier and the supplier not the courier and op.

If the parcel is lost its up to whoever sent the parcel to deal with the courier as they paid them.

If it's a company you'd be better off contacting whoever is sending you parcels and telling them the courier is ignoring delivery instructions, they will sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

i've often taken in parcels for neighbours when they are not home, don't think i've ever been asked to sign for one either!
    i always give them to whoever it is for, i've no problems with it but i have often wondered about why the courier company thinks it's ok to do something like that - i could easily deny all knowledge seeing as i never signed - but i wouldn't do that!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

OP since its illegal to open post not named to yourself maybe have a chat with the local guards and see what they say about it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

jonnycivic wrote: »
    OP since its illegal to open post not named to yourself maybe have a chat with the local guards and see what they say about it all.

As far as I'm aware, courier deliveries aren't classed as post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

i've often taken in parcels for neighbours when they are not home, don't think i've ever been asked to sign for one either!
    i always give them to whoever it is for, i've no problems with it but i have often wondered about why the courier company thinks it's ok to do something like that - i could easily deny all knowledge seeing as i never signed - but i wouldn't do that!!

Because in the rush to the bottom, and free delivery if you spend x amount, the person who delivers the item doesn't get paid enough to make the journey never mind repeated journeys.

The dispatching company looks for the cheapest rates, as the customer wants the cheap or free delivery, and the courier company quote with only one outcome which is what happens to the OP and every other thread were deliveries are made to the wrong location. Sure even An Post are at it now with packages from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

When you are ordering stuff for delivery, most website allow for comments or delivery comments (there is a gate, press the buzzer etc.) so just put in the comments not to hand into that neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Can you get stuff sent to your workplace? I get all stuff posted there, or use parcel motel/wizard if there is savings to be had.
    jonnycivic wrote: »
    Not sure of the legality but you can email the local station these days, who knows -other neighbours might have reported the same thing.

TheDoc wrote: »
    When you are ordering stuff for delivery, most website allow for comments or delivery comments (there is a gate, press the buzzer etc.) so just put in the comments not to hand into that neighbour

You can put what you want, the result will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Del2005 wrote: »

What?

Those comments get appended to the couriers from the retailer. A courier will have instructions NOT to hand it into those neighbours. That is not being the same.

Or it's just an incompetent courier or company and OP should ring them to give out stink.

I thought the "dropping it into the neighbours" thing got knocked on the head years ago anyway, where in most cases you get it re-arranged for delivery or collect from a depot. Because of all the hassle incidents like this caused for courier companies.

What?

Those comments get appended to the couriers from the retailer. A courier will have instructions NOT to hand it into those neighbours. That is not being the same.

Or it's just an incompetent courier or company and OP should ring them to give out stink.

I thought the "dropping it into the neighbours" thing got knocked on the head years ago anyway, where in most cases you get it re-arranged for delivery or collect from a depot. Because of all the hassle incidents like this caused for courier companies.

The OP has no contract with the courier company so can't contact them. They can complain to who sent the package and they can complain to the courier company who will say a lot but do nothing as the majority of drivers are "self employed" and don't get paid enough to do anything put the bare minimum, which involves getting it close to the address.

The whole courier delivery is a scam. Back in the boom days when couriers where making huge money people would often ring and ask for an express/direct delivery. The dispatcher would say "No problem, pay extra". They dispatcher would then call the courier and give them 10 jobs, one of which is the express, so the courier calls into pick up "express" job. The person sending asks the courier is this direct and the reply is always "Yes", the courier would then proceed to pick up and collect multiple jobs till eventually they get to deliver the "Express". And that was when they where getting well paid, these days they aren't.

I recently ordered pizza's for work from a well known provider. On their site it gave the option to drop a pin on where you want delivered, happy days I though as we've a large site with multiple buildings and always get calls from delivery drivers and we have to direct them in. 30 minutes later I get a call from the driver asking for directions, so directed them in. I asked why they needed directions when I'd put the pin on the door of the building, the answer was "We don't have access to that"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

post your self a tracker and see what happens .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

What?

Those comments don't mean squat. Just last week I ordered a pair of shoes for my daughter, expressly stating that if we were not home, do not attempt to deliver, do not leave with neighbours and do not leave at the property. After finding a slip in our door with illegible writing, we made a call and found the package in the bin that was due to be collected the following morning.
    Prior to that, we ordered dog food bags that got given to a house two doors down as we didn't answer the door. The driver never approached our house as there is no hallway, door leads into our living room so its impossible to go unnoticed if you knock. He saw they were outside and their house was closer to the road, so he dumped them there. Luckily for us on this occasion we were able to get them back, because they have been known to retain post as well as steal it from doorsteps if they know you aren't home :rolleyes:
    I had another issue whereby a courier left the phone with a woman not even living on the same street as me because HE knew her and his excuse was "she has a disabled son, she's not going to steal it!". After ringing the office and demanding an explanation as to why a €600 phone was delivered to someone else's house when we clearly stated delivery to us in person only, they sent him back to get it. He threw the parcel AT my OH, told him to go eff himself and slammed our gate so hard, it came off the hinges.

Now we just get stuff sent to my mum's. She is always there and the courier in charge of her area (for the most common companies) know her well and call back later if they don't get her the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

long_b wrote: »

Won't sort their issue.
    Today a courier company delivered a parcel when I wasn't home and left it with the neighbours

Deliverybox is for AP usage only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Del2005 wrote: »
    ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Those comments don't mean squat.
    You are both making it sound like in 100% of cases the comments left will make 100% absolutely no difference.
    ED E wrote: »
    Deliverybox is for AP usage only.
    I would not get the an post version, there are generic versions you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I had another issue whereby a courier left the phone with a woman not even living on the same street as me because HE knew her and his excuse was "she has a disabled son, she's not going to steal it!". After ringing the office and demanding an explanation as to why a ?600 phone was delivered to someone else's house when we clearly stated delivery to us in person only, they sent him back to get it. He threw the parcel AT my OH, told him to go eff himself and slammed our gate so hard, it came off the hinges.

Sounds like Fastway?
    rubadub wrote: »
    I would not get the an post version, there are generic versions you can get.

Indeed, but I wouldn't anticipate trouble free deliveries after that. Lots of them dont even walk up if theres no car in the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Could you just get items delivered to your work address instead?

ED E wrote: »
    Sounds like Fastway?

Indeed, but I wouldn't anticipate trouble free deliveries after that. Lots of them dont even walk up if theres no car in the drive.

Nightline, actually. Fastway dumped the shoes in the bin and once chucked our new steam cleaner over our 8 foot rear gate :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Nightline, actually. Fastway dumped the shoes in the bin and once chucked our new steam cleaner over our 8 foot rear gate :rolleyes:

Found nightline to be atrocious, last week they "super apologised" for "misdelivering" my package and forgetting where they misdelivered to! I usually use parcel motel but one of the items last week was oversized and I didn't have time to get to the depot.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Found nightline to be atrocious, last week they "super apologised" for "misdelivering" my package and forgetting where they misdelivered to! I usually use parcel motel but one of the items last week was oversized and I didn't have time to get to the depot.

Our local Parcel Motel is half an hour away in a place we would very rarely visit. We try to order items for collection in store, or off Amazon we will get it shipped to a PO in the North quite close to us. Just some things you need to get delivered to your house, and is it really too much to ask that they knock the door and see if you are home?
    For what it's worth, we live in a town of around 5000, we are in an estate, we supply our Eircode and we are almost always home. Really can't fathom how we are that hard to get a hold of!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Your neighbor has (allegedly) committed an offence under section 6, The Theft and Fraud Offences Act, 2001.

You will need to go to make a statement of complaint to gardai. They may acquire a search warrant to enter and search your neighbor's place.
    Even if he signed on one of them handheld yokes the handwriting will match his. Also the delivery man is an independent witness who would have no reason to lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Your neighbor has (allegedly) committed an offence under section 6, The Theft and Fraud Offences Act, 2001.

You will need to go to make a statement of complaint to gardai. They may acquire a search warrant to enter and search your neighbor's place.
    Even if he signed on one of them handheld yokes the handwriting will match his. Also the delivery man is an independent witness who would have no reason to lie.

As the delivery was via courier, with the contact from the seller who would be the one at a loss if the buyer does not receive the goods, it is questionable who the 'crime' is against. The neighbour no longer has the goods anyway, as they were handed over. The neighbour could claim, misunderstanding or a lack of communication within their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

get an old broken phone or laptop and new box. fill the box with glitter about half way, when they open it it will go everywhere

• Advertisement
Advertisement