Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends grandson is a sneaky little...

Options
  • 03-05-2017 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hope I'm posting in the right fourm.

A friend of mine arrives unexpectedly about once a month with her grandchildren a boy and girl. To say they are wild is an understatement.

The boy is about 7 and wonders around doing his own thing while I chat to my friend and catch up . Firstly he goes into the sit room to watch TV and opens the sweets in the corner which I didn't even realise were there. He will eat them until they are nearly gone.

Now he pretends he's in the sitting room but really he's upstairs robbing money from a coin jar beside my bed .I caught him before robbing money from upstairs and after he denied he robbed it for ages I wouldn't let it go. Eventually he gave back a 50c coin and I knew he had more so really started getting mad at him until eventually he emptied his pocket.

He was over today again and lo and behold I caught him red handed robbing money this time 50 euro notes that I have hidden. He had to give it back this time as I caught him.

Any advice on what I should do? My friend is aware but she is old and sick and doesn't really do discipline with the kids so I am really stuck

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Tell her not to bring the kids. Or tell her you will visit her in her house if she's minding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Tell her not to bring the kids. Or tell her you will visit her in her house if she's minding them.

Just lock all the doors to the rooms you don't want him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

mordeith wrote: »

It's not common to have locks on internal doors though is it?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Mousetraps. Everywhere.
    Ex-Lax Chocolates in a box clearly labelled "do not eat".
    A nanny-cam in the bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

It's not common to have locks on internal doors though is it?

Yes it is, most doors have keys you can lock the door..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

m'lady wrote: »
    Yes it is, most doors have keys you can lock the door..

Not in any house I've ever lived in, but anyway I won't take it any further off topic than I already have.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

I agree with door locks. I know someone who used to do this with unruly grandkids.
    Alternative is for you to visit friend the days she babysits. Stop them coming to your house altogether. Invite the friend on the days she's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Most recently built houses do not have key operated locks on interior doors. Even the bathrooms have locks that can be opened by a coin from the outside. Ironically, this is for the protection of ankle-biters like the op's oppressors.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

If that sort of carry on continues you won't have anything of value left! Has your friend not had words with their son/daughter about their behaviour in your home?

As said above, tell your friend not to arrive unannounced with this lad in toe, maybe if she sees his actions are having an affect on her social circle she might be inclined not to bring him with her again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Mousetraps. Everywhere.

I wish I could thank this post more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Push him off the roof, he won't be so sneaky then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

mordeith wrote:

No locks in our house except for the toilet

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

deadybai wrote: »
    Any advice on what I should do? My friend is aware but she is old and sick and doesn't really do discipline with the kids so I am really stuck

Have a word with the parents of the children. If you're friend is incapable of looking after them their son / daughter should not be putting them in this position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Could you approach his parents with your concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

deadybai wrote: »
    He was over today again and lo and behold I caught him red handed robbing money this time 50 euro notes that I have hidden. He had to give it back this time as I caught him.

This is really out of line. Forget discipline, You have to put the foot down and tell your friend that the child isn't welcome in your house.

Also, who keeps money hidden in the house?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

This is really out of line. Forget discipline, You have to put the foot down and tell your friend that the child isn't welcome in your house.

Also, who keeps money hidden in the house?

Every single person over 65 in this country.
    Sometimes €1000s

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:

Enough with the suggestions on how to harm a child. Next one to suggest it gets a yellow card.

Practical, non violent suggestions from this point on thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Aw. :(

Honest truth is the same as a few others have said, just be up front with her about it and probably best to make a stand over the next while not letting the child in the house and letting it be known why.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Do not give him access to the house
    If he arrives with her he has to sit in the room with you beside his grandmother .
    Every time he tries to get up you state firmly he has to sit back down as you will not let a thief roam your house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Mousetraps. Everywhere.
    Yes and also land mines also, improvised explosive device's, bear traps etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Does your friend who comes over know he does this? I'm guessing not or she wouldnt be letting him do it (if she does know and lets him do this anyways shes not much of a friend).

Start by talking to her. Tell her what you see happening and that you've caught him stealing money.

Dont leave sweets around the house for him to eat.

If the friend doesnt do anything about his behaviour then stop her coming in with them. Next time she turns up tell her you are just on your way out to a dr /dentist /anything appt. Do this everytime she turns up with grandkids and she'll get the message.

Advertisement