Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlady selling up

Options
  • 03-05-2017 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

I have been living in a flat with my girlfriend for five(ish) years. Our landlady has said that she is selling the flat and shop space underneath it. She told me that anybody taking it on would keep tenants, I don't know how she could know this as nobody has viewed it yet or is she only saying this so we don't move before she can sell it and lose a few months rent. Would a new owner be entitled to ask us to vacate or increase the rent ( the current landlady increased it within the last two years).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭bluenessy

Normally when a place is sold the tenants need to vacate. That being said it's quite possible the next owner would want a tenant. Id say your best bet would be to look around for a new place until you have something in writing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Hi,

I have been living in a flat with my girlfriend for five(ish) years. Our landlady has said that she is selling the flat and shop space underneath it. She told me that anybody taking it on would keep tenants, I don't know how she could know this as nobody has viewed it yet or is she only saying this so we don't move before she can sell it and lose a few months rent. Would a new owner be entitled to ask us to vacate or increase the rent ( the current landlady increased it within the last two years).

The new owners cannot increase the rent until the 2 years is up.

Some properties do sell with tenants in situ, especially if commercial units are also part of the purchase. A long term stable resident actually reduces risk for the purchaser.

Advertisement