Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this an issue and what is the white discolouration?

• 03-05-2017 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Just noticed this discolouration tonight. Is it an issue? It's off white coloured and on the inside. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭ratracer

MargeS wrote: »
    Just noticed this discolouration tonight. Is it an issue? It's off white coloured and on the inside. :confused:

Oh dear,

I'm not a qualified mechanic, but milky oil is not good, could be head gasket, some more experienced head will hopefully chime in, but I wouldn't ride it again without getting it checked asap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Could be one of two things.
    1. Condensation in which case should clear after a long spin and engine nice and hot
    2. Coolant getting into the oil which is more serious.
    If it continues best to get it checked out.

I hope it's number one for you. A mechanic might on here might have other ideas as I'm going in experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Is you're bike water cooled op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Nope, air cooled. That was after a 25 mile run and left sitting for 2/3 hours. I had been adjusting the chain and was giving the bike a once over when I spotted this. I really don't think it's condensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

when was the last time the oil was changed , and is it running hotter than usual op

• Advertisement

Bike is running fine, I really wouldn't have thought anything was wrong until I looked at the oil window.
    No oil light on, and the temp stayed around 100, after the 25 mile run which is all completely normal for it.

Oil was changed approx 2000miles ago.

Well we can rule out head gasket anyway. How long ago was that service?

TBH I'm inconsistent with the servicing. Whenever stuff needs doing at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Its a poor photo, is the oil milky?. On the oil filler cap is there a thicker crud like mayo?.

Was the bike stored up over the winter or is it running regularly, and/or have you recently done an oil change?.

Ordinarily I'd say its certainly condensation, but a 25 mile run should have burned that off.

If it was an oil change I'd suggest looking at your whatever oil is left and see if you put contaminated oil into your bike.

But either way, an air cooled engine ~ do an oil change with new oil and any condensation which was left should be burned off quick enough.

A final question, have you a smokey exhaust (oil in the cylinder)?. [I suspect the answer is no]

Its a poor photo, is the oil milky?. On the oil filler cap is there a thicker crud like mayo?.
    Nope. Any oil inside the filler cap is like new.
    Was the bike stored up over the winter or is it running regularly, and/or have you recently done an oil change?.
    Nope not stored up and oil change was 2000 miles ago.
    A final question, have you a smokey exhaust (oil in the cylinder)?. [I suspect the answer is no]
    Nope. Everything appears to be normal. Now I am certainly not mechanically minded. So a trip to the mechanic is required at this stage.

• Advertisement

How many miles are you doing a week?

The last few weeks, 50 - 100, it depends.

I've taken a better pic and it's definitely milky looking oil. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

The last few weeks, 50 - 100, it depends.

I've taken a better pic and it's definitely milky looking oil. :(

I think an oil change is required. Best option imo.
    Get a good quality oil and see how it goes. Sooner the better as oil is part of your cooling as well as lubrication.

Txs all. I've contacted my mechanic and I'll let you know. I was going to get it serviced either way, this has just lit a fire under me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

All I can see is normal coloured oil and a discoloured/old sight glass...:confused:

All I can see is normal coloured oil and a discoloured/old sight glass...:confused:

There is definitely bubbles in the oil..

qRDWqgtfZWMOlz6Kgojs5YrkC7l_GvnTJxSI67zKAqk?size=1024x768&size_mode=3

There is definitely bubbles in the oil..

Just not seeing any bubbles...:confused:...reckon its just condensation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Looks like a frickin xray ffs!!!!

Milky coloured oil and milky buildup on the cap does not automatically mean the head gasket is gone, it could very easily be condensation buildup.

Bring the bike out for a few decent rides when you get a chance and see if it dissapears. Don't bother changing the oil , if the head gasket is gone it just means you will waste new oil.

*I see you've just contacted your mechanic so you won't be fixing yourself so comment/comments not really relevant.

Milky coloured oil and milky buildup on the cap does not automatically mean the head gasket is gone, it could very easily be condensation buildup.

Bring the bike out for a few decent rides when you get a chance and see if it dissapears. Don't bother changing the oil , if the head gasket is gone it just means you will waste new oil.

*I see you've just contacted your mechanic so you won't be fixing yourself so comment/comments not really relevant.

We've established its not watercolooled...;)

• Advertisement

Most guys these days don't fix their own bikes....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The choices are a) learn to fix it yourself, b) have a shop fix it or c) off to the Credit Union for a loan for an upgrade.

That's cause I don't have the tools or skills. If I started a job, I know I'd find myself in too deep and end up with a brick on wheels.
    I can do the basics... chain, oil, etc. But diagnosing an issue is beyond me.
    BTW, not only guys ride bikes. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Just one more question - when was the bike last serviced in terms of months?

Has had a spell of non-use in recent times? If so, have you routinely started and run it? [Starting and running it without riding is often cited as a good way to create condensation]

Is it kept in a shed or stored under a cover/ car port?

That's cause I don't have the tools or skills. If I started a job, I know I'd find myself in too deep and end up with a brick on wheels.

That's why you have manuals and Google...fault diagnosis is out of my reach too..but mechanical things tend to be easy...doll.....:D

Ok, so its most likely condensation so.

I know, its a disgrace. Most men these days cant change a lightbulb let alone anything more serious. Old lads could change the engine in a car or anything back in the day, im thankfull to mine he showed me a few things.

My bad Marge , I wouldnt worry about it tbh, drive it and it should dissapear over time.

...and it disappeared after a long run :o

Either way it's getting serviced. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Condensation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its actually surprising how long it takes for a bike engine to warm the oil fully, I have seen data from people wanting to fit oil coolers to air cooled thumpers and some of them take a good 15-20 minutes to actually get the oil warm.
    Bikes that stand over winter and the owners run them for an occasional 10 minutes without actually taking them on the road are most at risk of developing condensation in the crankcase because the oil never gets hot enough to evaporate off the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Tbh, the new oil could do the same thing after 50 miles and a lay up.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement