Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orlando in January?

Options
  • 03-05-2017 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi we spent the easter holidays in Orlando and had a brilliant time. The weather was hot but bearable but the parks were very busy and flights, accommodation and spending money made it an expensive holiday.
    However we loved it and will go back so I was wondering if anyone has gone there in January just after New years.
    Flights are much cheaper but what's the weather like and also are the parks all quiet and open all day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Cant advise on Orlando but was in Miami one January and temps struggled to get up to 16C.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

fennor72 wrote: »
    Hi we spent the easter holidays in Orlando and had a brilliant time. The weather was hot but bearable but the parks were very busy and flights, accommodation and spending money made it an expensive holiday.
    However we loved it and will go back so I was wondering if anyone has gone there in January just after New years.
    Flights are much cheaper but what's the weather like and also are the parks all quiet and open all day.

Lower crowds, lower temperatures, highs in low 70's ish, parks open but probably not as late as Easter, MLK holiday & Marathon weekend will see an increase in crowd levels but nothing like Easter, expect some attraction closures & refurbishment

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Lower crowds, lower temperatures, highs in low 70's ish, parks open but probably not as late as Easter, MLK holiday & Marathon weekend will see an increase in crowd levels but nothing like Easter, expect some attraction closures & refurbishment

Thanks for that. Maybe November or December would be a better option apart from thanksgiving and Christmas. We are just trying to get the best time of the year to get cheaper flights and less crowds and maybe a little bit of sun .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Thanks for that. Maybe November or December would be a better option apart from thanksgiving and Christmas. We are just trying to get the best time of the year to get cheaper flights and less crowds and maybe a little bit of sun .

We have been last two weeks of October before, great weather, busy enough but very manageable, we are off in a little over a week, flights for three adults & an 11 year old for less than 2k, indirect with United via Newark out of Shannon with a 90 minute layover

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I went the week after Easter late April. No crowds and warm weather. Extremely cheap flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

I've been three times in January .

Stayed in Disney resorts and arrived around or just after the 15th .

There's enough people to add plenty of atmosphere but not enough to make it feel too crowded .

Booking major shows , rides etc. (Fantasmic for example )with fastpass is still advised

Weather was nice enough for me ( I don't like it when it's too hot ) , but evenings / early mornings can be cool enough .

Wait times for rides would be usually fairly short .

As Naughtysmurf says expect some attraction closures & refurbishment , for example , I've never been on Splash Mountain as it's always been closed for maintenance over winter .

Disney have a schedule on their site detailing closures in advance .

The Disney parks would close earlier in Jan than in summer , but we availed of the Magic Hours by staying in a Disney resort ( Get in earlier / stay later than non resort visitors )

On our last trip we stayed in Universal for one night and there were literally no waiting times early in the day .

Went to Harry Potter world first (magic hours - get in earlier ).

When we were finished in Harry Potter world we walked straight in to Mummy , Transformers ,Jurassic Park etc.

Hope this helps .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I was in Orlando twice in the last week of January (2010 and 2016).

In 2010 it was lovely, in or around 22 degrees and sunny most days. In 2016 it was freezing. There was a major snow event up north around DC/NY and Florida was probably catching the tail of it.

It was still sunny but the first two days it was 0-1 degrees. I remember looking out the window of the plane as it taxied to the terminal and the guys unloading the bags were dressed like eskimos and I was laughing to myself calling them lightweights for not being able to handle a bit of cool weather but when we walked out of the terminal we froze.

After the first 2 days it did thaw a bit but still quite chilly up until around midday but the afternoons were up to 18-19 degrees and quite nice.

The parks were empty both times which was great so no queues for the rides.

Advertisement