Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture Storage Issues

Options
  • 04-05-2017 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I would be grateful for your advice here folks.

Last year I took a new job in Europe, which meant moving from Ireland. Before going we put the contents of our family home into storage in Ireland. Storage charges paid in full, on time etc. every month, with the plan to move the goods down during this Summer.

Early this year, Storage company phones me to say that he has a deal for a combined load through the UK, which would save me a lot in removal costs. I asked that he e-mails the proposal but got nothing. A few weeks later he sends me a text to say that my goods are now at their UK depot, but he won’t tell me where. He also demands several thousand Euro as he says he has paid this up front, though he refuses to provide any proof.

Now he tells me the goods are back in Ireland (again via text message) and that the goods will be sold at Auction. Still zero in writing just text messages. Should he not get a Court Judgment or something before going to this stage?

He is now demanding over 10,000 Euro without any contract, receipts or anything, just ever threatening text messages though I’ve requested several times over that everything goes at least through e-mail.

What would be the next move here ???

Thanking you in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

A reminder that legal advice may not be given on boards.

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Well I'm sure he has a contract. The one you agreed to when taking out the storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Morning All

I'm sure he has Ciaran, I don't know though what clause would allow the shipping and substantial increase in charges against a text message!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Guards, who will say it's a civil matter. Keep at them if he won't hand over your stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What would be the next move here ???

Get legal advice quick before your stuff is auctioned off.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. On the legal case now, also onto the BAR in the UK which is the regulator for this.
    Would an auction place accept the goods though if they cant prove ownership? No court order, no debt collector, nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

They may have a lien on the goods like a mechanic does on a repaired car. Not trying to give legal advice there especially as I don't know if that's the case, but it could be quite complicated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thanks all. On the legal case now, also onto the BAR in the UK which is the regulator for this.
    Would an auction place accept the goods though if they cant prove ownership? No court order, no debt collector, nothing!

I would be surprised if you hadn't agreed to this in the original storage contract.

Either way, I wouldn't risk waiting to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Are you sure the people contacting you are actually from the storage company?

Thanks Phoenix. Yes, they are I'm afraid. Bank account and VAT number all align.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Early this year, Storage company phones me to say that he has a deal for a combined load through the UK, which would save me a lot in removal costs. I asked that he e-mails the proposal but got nothing.
    On this; did you say that you wanted this to happen, or did you only want the details? How you answered this question may have been taken as agreement by the company. Otherwise, I'd call shenanigans, and wonder were the goods ever moved?

As said, get legal advice, and ask are you entitled to all receipts/invoices/proof of the stuff being moved (if it happened at all)?

Thanks  The Syco. 
    I asked for the details, but also advised them it could not happen until the end of June at the earliest! The alleged consolidated load was delivered Mid April, for which he now expects me to pay. He refuses to provide any details, saying he has not got to! Would a company really act on a phone call for such a large sum and no credit card details provided?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You need to go to a solicitor really. I would imagine the solicitor will write to him and seek an inspection of your furniture and undertakings, and if he doesn't get them will have to go to Court on your behalf to try and get your furniture back (if something has not happened to it already).

But you really need the advice of the solicitor and to take action right away. Time is of the essence, obviously.

I do not think he would necessarily need a court order to get the auction house to accept the goods. If you had photos of the goods I suppose you could write to all the auction houses in Ireland and ask them not to accept the goods if presented. But really, you need the solicitor's advice.

Thanks Antoinolachtnai.
    Legal are now on the case, its frightening though that on a debt that has zero substantiation or proof he can sell off my family history!
    Just booked flights back from Italy to Dublin so that I can go in with the solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Thanks Antoinolachtnai.
    Legal are now on the case, its frightening though that on a debt that has zero substantiation or proof he can sell off my family history!
    Just booked flights back from Italy to Dublin so that I can go in with the solicitor.

Sorry to hear that it has come to this for you. I would have suggested you deal with solicitor over phone and by email with view to him attempting to arrange an inspection of the furniture while you are in Dublin. It is very likely that he will refuse an inspection but your solicitor might still think it is important to ask. It is important you inspect the furniture yourself, if you ask me. Everything else, the solicitor can do.

My fear would be that the furniture has been damaged or lost. But do discuss with the solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Early this year, Storage company phones me to say that he has a deal for a combined load through the UK, which would save me a lot in removal costs. I asked that he e-mails the proposal but got nothing. A few weeks later he sends me a text to say that my goods are now at their UK depot, but he won’t tell me where. He also demands several thousand Euro as he says he has paid this up fro demand yournt, though he refuses to provide any proof.

If you had paid for the existing storage and no agreement to have then moved then what's to stop you getting your property back? When you talk to your solicitor then make sure you demand that and get it stored elsewhere.

Advertisement