Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec 49DV - Zone fault for contact that doesn't exist

Options
  • 04-05-2017 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi again,

I am having another issue with my Astec 49DV. A few months ago, it started to go off citing Zone 2 contact as the culprit. The confusing issue for me, is that where I have a Zone 2 sensor, it's not a contact sensor, it's a shock sensor. It was originally a contact sensor but it was on a garage door that was replaced by a window. And the sensor was replaced with a shock sensor. Note that this sensor worked fine for a couple of years without any problems.

I have been getting around this issue by just bypassing the contact sensor. I checked the shock sensor still works and it does. However I probably should look now to get this sorted. And last night it started to report that the Zone 2 contact was open.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is this the only device on Zone 2?
    If so I'd replace it.
    If there are other devices you would be better off checking the resistance on the whole zone first.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

Thanks Koolkid. I got a new sensor and tried that but no joy as it's the only sensor on that zone.

Just checking it again a little while ago and making sure the contacts were tight enough etc and when I was making sure the resistor was in properly, one of the sides snapped.

So would a resistor about to break cause this or faulty in some aspect?

I think it's a 1500 Ohm resistor. I don't have another one currently, just a 680, is that too low to try?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If its just a sensor then you need a 1500ohm resistor in series .
    If there is a contact on that sensor then you will also need a 68-ohm resistor wired in parallel across the contact. A resistor leg ready to snap may well cause issues.

Yeah it's just a single sensor on that zone. The whole issue is that it was reporting an issue with the contact but this is an inertia sensor. So no contact. However I looked at the manual earlier and there's a section where it says if the resistance falls to a certain point it will report an error on the contact and if it falls to another level it will report an error on the sensor. That must be it then.

I just don't have the resistor now. Is there any patch up jobs I can do in the meantime here? I put the two wires together but the panel is complaining there is no EOL resistor.

If its a newer version of the software command 49 will let you programme that output off.
    If you have other resistors & you can get the value above 1.5 untill it shows contact open , you can then programme contact on test(soak) via command 87.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Ivan E wrote: »
    Yeah it's just a single sensor on that zone. The whole issue is that it was reporting an issue with the contact but this is an inertia sensor. So no contact. However I looked at the manual earlier and there's a section where it says if the resistance falls to a certain point it will report an error on the contact and if it falls to another level it will report an error on the sensor. That must be it then.

I just don't have the resistor now. Is there any patch up jobs I can do in the meantime here? I put the two wires together but the panel is complaining there is no EOL resistor.

Unfortunately if its an older version you would need to put a resistor across the terminals or the two cores you are using to close off that loop to use the rest of the alarm.

Yeah, I just left it and was able to get a resistor the following day. Put it in and it's been working for the past few days. Updating the thread as the source of information can be invaluable.

Thanks for your help lads as always.

Thanks for updating. Glad you got it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Ivan E wrote: »
    Yeah, I just left it and was able to get a resistor the following day. Put it in and it's been working for the past few days. Updating the thread as the source of information can be invaluable.

Thanks for your help lads as always.

Touch wood that will sort it for you.
    The Astec system never forgave bad connections.

Advertisement