Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is too much?

Options
  • 04-05-2017 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Looking for some advice on how to get back fit on the bike without overstretching myself.

I damaged my knee pretty bad around 2 years ago and with all the operations I have haad only been able to get back on the bike yesterday for the first time.

I have a commute to work which is 27km (54km round trip) which used to take me about 50 minutes each way. Yesterday it took me 75 minutes which I don’t mind but I was proper wrecked. I have put on 4 stone since I done the knee and can feel that extra weight making me work harder for cycle and all that extra pressure on my rear end which made the homeward journey awful.

Understand will be issues given my lack of bike time for 2 years but im hoping to get back doing this 5 times a week.

Anyone good advice on what the best way to progress to this would be. My knee feels good and strong just all the other body parts that are aching :):D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i can remember feeling like death warmed up for about half an hour after doing a 15km cycle a few years back - after five years off the bike.
    kudos for tackling a 27km run each way as your reintroduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

only do it one-way each day if possible until you get to point where both ways is feasible. That's a lot of mileage 5 days a week. You'll probably get sick of it pretty quickly if forcing yourself to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

De Bhál wrote: »
    only do it one-way each day if possible.

Doubt it's that possible, unless you can get a train home, off peak.

I'd say start off with shorter evening and weekend cycles to work back up.

I understand weight gain when not being able to exercise but perhaps a look at overall diet might be an idea as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

27k end to end in 50 minutes is good going, way faster than I could manage, so it make take awhile to get back to that level. Personally, I'd tend to start on three days for a few months, where you get one rest day for each commuting day, and target shifting the extra weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

De Bhál wrote: »
    only do it one-way each day if possible until you get to point where both ways is feasible.

One of the lads here did that by driving in with the bike in/on the car, cycling home, then cycling back in the next morning and driving home again with the bike.

Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Effects wrote: »

I understand weight gain when not being able to exercise but perhaps a look at overall diet might be an idea as well.

well I'm on about leaving the bike in work and bussing home, bus in the next morning also then cycle home in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rubbadubdub

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    One of the lads here did that by driving in with the bike in/on the car, cycling home, then cycling back in the next morning and driving home again with the bike.

Paddy

Thats actually sounds like it could work and wouldn't have to bring a heavy backpack with me! May look at that from next week.

i can remember feeling like death warmed up for about half an hour after doing a 15km cycle a few years back - after five years off the bike.
    kudos for tackling a 27km run each way as your reintroduction.

I was always a bit of a dreamer but regretted this decision so much as the last 10km I was off the saddle......

I remember when I started last time the same pain but was a lot lighter so was easier :)

Effects wrote: »

My surgeon says the same :) Always has problem with diet when I become in active for various injuries.

Is all kitchen but kitchen - mainly cheese and bread are my downfall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I've a mate who cycles and runs a lot. One of the big reasons is because he loves food and has to work it off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

and don't forget to use lower gears than normal to get the legs spinning and don't overtax the knee.

Makes you pant a bit more too and helps lose the weight faster.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

The drive in/bike home suggestion sounds good. My suggestion would be to alternate your cycling and driving days until you build up a base fitness. For the first couple of weeks drive Mon, Weds, Friday and cycle Tues & Thursday. Then switch to cycling Mon, Weds, Friday for a few weeks. Then up it to 4 days cycling and one driving.

I used to commute 15km each way and it took me 50 minutes including stopping at junctions, so 27km in 50 minutes is a serious clip! Give yourself a reasonable length of time to get back up to that kind of pace, aim to be getting near that in the late summer/early autumn. Best of luck with it!

Moflojo wrote: »
    The drive in/bike home suggestion sounds good. My suggestion would be to alternate your cycling and driving days until you build up a base fitness. For the first couple of weeks drive Mon, Weds, Friday and cycle Tues & Thursday. Then switch to cycling Mon, Weds, Friday for a few weeks. Then up it to 4 days cycling and one driving.

I used to commute 15km each way and it took me 50 minutes including stopping at junctions, so 27km in 50 minutes is a serious clip! Give yourself a reasonable length of time to get back up to that kind of pace, aim to be getting near that in the late summer/early autumn. Best of luck with it!

Yes makes sense – as another poster said you want it to be enjoyable which I know it can be.

Will see how the legs/bum feel tomorrow but may hold off again until doing next week.

18km is on a national roads with no stops so is good. Yes traffic/buses and lights could halt me 5 or so minutes but was normally closer to 50 minutes than 55 when fitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Yes makes sense – as another poster said you want it to be enjoyable which I know it can be.

Will see how the legs/bum feel tomorrow but may hold off again until doing next week.

18km is on a national roads with no stops so is good. Yes traffic/buses and lights could halt me 5 or so minutes but was normally closer to 50 minutes than 55 when fitter.

I should also add that, even at my fittest, I used to take a break from cycling on the odd Friday and get the train/bus. This was down to general fatigue and I'd feel a little guilty about not cycling, but using alternative transport always reminded me why cycling was such a great option in the first place and would reinvigorate me for the next few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Not sure what age you are, but I wouldn't have a 50 minute commute as a target.
    You may never get back to that pace, depending on age or whether you still have as much time for exercise.

I would target just generally feeling better after the cycle, losing weight in the process and of course improving time somewhat.
    But, have realistic goals, not chasing your younger self :pac:

dub_skav wrote: »
    Not sure what age you are, but I wouldn't have a 50 minute commute as a target.
    You may never get back to that pace, depending on age or whether you still have as much time for exercise.

I would target just generally feeling better after the cycle, losing weight in the process and of course improving time somewhat.
    But, have realistic goals, not chasing your younger self :pac:

Im 34 now, I would myself consider it still young :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Im 34 now, I would myself consider it still young :)

51 myself and I reckon the day you stop pushing yourself to improve because you're too old is the day you start feeling old. And yep, 34 is plenty young.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 purplemonkey79

It is doable ,if your able o leave your bike in work ,you can cycle in one morning ,cycle home the next day and vice versa
    but it is too big of a distance to jump straight in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

my commute is just under 60kms round trip, I cycle one day train the next, on days I take the train I bring in clothes, there is shower facilities in work so Im not sitting minging all day or having to resort to a baby wipe wash, it also means I dont have a backpack or panniers to bother about.

Best of luck with the cycling take what ever option works best be "my option" or the drive in cycle home one.

BTW the time frame for the cycle prior to the knee getting messed up, serious pace that, chapeau to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Of course 34 is young (as is 51 :P).
    I just meant not to have a hard target that you may be disappointed to not reach.
    By all means if you see great improvements and are still enjoying it, there is no reason not to try and beat 50 minutes, just don't set yourself up to fail after your first day.

I always still think I can run / cycle / play sport at a similar level to my younger self and am often shocked to find that a few years "rest" didn't improve my performance :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement