Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 cars, one insurance

Options
  • 04-05-2017 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Currently my GF and I have 2 cars and both of our insurance's are due in June. Our aim is to buy a new car either late this year or early next year. GF uses the car for work and needs to get an indemnity for insurance but she said this is no issue. I don't do much travel but GF does so will be used daily to get to work
    So question is what are our options? Can we insure one car for 6 months and another for year and transfer over the insurance to the new car and not lose out on anything.
    Anyone any suggestions, tips etc?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mrsbeebee

I don't quite understand the question but if it's can 2 cars be covered under the 1 private car policy then no. If you have 2 separate policies and have to change to the new car mid year on one that's no problem. But legally each car would need to have its own policy with cert and disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Sorry probably could have worded it better

We have 2 cars under 2 different insurance companies and both are due for renewal in June 2017. In 2018 we plan to get rid of both cars and buy one new car and transfer over the remaining life of the insurance over to new car, and pay any excess etc. However if we are insured under different insurers what happens? When we trade up we just tell insurance company we are not going with and they will refund remaining balance less costs etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mrsbeebee

That makes more sense alright! Yes you can cancel a policy mid term. Pick the one with the best cover/price and transfer the new car to that. Price with both first. Then you can cancel the other mid term. You will get a refund on balance only if you have no claims in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

mrsbeebee wrote: »
    That makes more sense alright! Yes you can cancel a policy mid term. Pick the one with the best cover/price and transfer the new car to that. Price with both first. Then you can cancel the other mid term. You will get a refund on balance only if you have no claims in the meantime.

Suspending the second policy; resuming it and transferring to the new car once the first one runs out might work out cheaper.

Advertisement