Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay by weight coming to Fingal in July.

Options
  • 04-05-2017 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Now that the current stay on paying by weight is coming to an end, Panda have notified it's customers that they will now pay 27.7cent per kg above 40kgs in their black bins.

They say that you should put your bins out more frequently to avoid this charge. Are they going to provide a scales for all customers to weigh their bins?

I know bins can be overweight and may cause injury but 40kgs in quiet low for the size of the bins and the fact that many of them are not lifted up kerbs by the workers means their letter is factually incorrect. Where I live, the bins must be put on the road to be collected meaning the workers only wheel the bins to the truck.

Will this will just be the start of getting in the weight charges and then the bye-laws will be changed to reduce the maximum weight.
    40kgs is the limit set by a Fingal CoCo bye-law. here Section 7

Source citizens information: here
    Payment by weight
    Some waste collectors already charge for waste collection according to weight but this option will be made available to all customers. By 1 January 2017, as well as showing the charges that currently apply, your bill will also show the charges that would apply on a pay-by-weight basis. You can choose to remain on your current pricing plan or you can change to payment by weight. Prices will not be increased during the period June 2016 to the end of June 2017. There is an allowance under the pay-by-weight system so that there will be no additional charge for the disposal of incontinence products supplied by the HSE.

Letter received today. panda001.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

40kg is pretty heavy. Looking at my statements from greyhound since January, I have once gone over 40kg in the "black" bin and that was 42.5kg. Lowest weight was 25kg. I only leave it out when it's full.

Does Panda currently tell you how heavy your bins are ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    40kg is pretty heavy. Looking at my statements from greyhound since January, I have once gone over 40kg in the "black" bin and that was 42.5kg. Lowest weight was 25kg. I only leave it out when it's full.

Does Panda currently tell you how heavy your bins are ?

No they do not give you a record at the moment of the weight of the bins.

Also the bins are 240 litres. Average weight of the bin is around 60kgs.

We only put the bin out every 5 to 6 weeks and never over fill it (the lid is always closed down fully).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Sup08 wrote: »
    No they do not give you a record at the moment of the weight of the bins.

Also the bins are 240 litres. Average weight of the bin is around 60kgs.

We only put the bin out every 5 to 6 weeks and never over fill it (the lid is always closed down fully).

The greyhound bins are also 240 litres. How do you know the average is 60kg ?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

The Government of this country is a disgrace, they are supposed to be looking out for the interests of the Irish people not only for the interest of big business. At the outset of bin charges we were told this kind of thing would not happen, ie: bin charges would not just keep on rising and they are. My bin has always been the same weight approx. 60KG's and for years they have collected it without issue, now all of a sudden there is a weight limit, why, so Panda can force us to put our bins more frequently, thus earning them more money and costing us more money. My binman moves the bin, on wheels, about 2 feet, from where I leave it to where he put it on the lift, he does no lifting. This is Rip off Ireland with the connivance of local government in action, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭plodder

People are entitled to be cynical about the old "health and safety" excuse, when they don't even mention the fact that putting out your bin more often is going to cost you significantly more. What kind of fools do they take people for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Are the lifts on the bin truck independently calibrated and sealed.

Who set this 40kg limit and how?

Where is the competition in Dublin 15.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    The greyhound bins are also 240 litres. How do you know the average is 60kg ?

They quote the average weight on the letter they sent this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Stern

Same here, just got the letter today and they say my average bin weight is 118kg. Now I do stack it quite well but at 40kg it would be less than half full with the type of waste I put in there (mainly nappies). Does anyone know if there are options to get a smaller black bin that costs less to pick up? At this rate I would pay €30 for an overweight pickup, or 3x the standard bin charge so it comes to about the same. So basically my bin costs are tripling.

Write to TD any good?
    https://www.whoismytd.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

Panda previously had the weight of each lift available when you logged into your account. Can't find the info now. I cannot find much info on their website regarding pay by weight either. I also have the text below from an e-mail sent last June. I do not see dual pricing on my invoice.

From 1st January 2017 we will provide you with dual pricing so you can see the effect a pay by weight pricing structure will have on your waste collection cost. This will give you an opportunity to review your weights and bin presentation habits before the mandatory implementation of Pay-By-Weight from 1st July 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

Hmmmmm......

Household
    / Search Results

Search Results

There were no search results for the search "pay weight". Please try using more general terms to get more results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What the frying duck would you have in a bin to make it weigh 60 kg. No such thing as waste so why not get rid of black bin and use food bin and recycling bin for 100% off packaging. What else is there? Geez
    I haven't had a black bin in years.

Patww79 wrote: »

Cool, maybe you can explain what you use black bin for? You obviously don't recycle which is what these pay per weigh charges are all about.
    Just put 100% of packaging in recycling bin and food in food bin.
    No one is going to look in recycling bin to check it, as long as it's just packaging it's fine.
    This thing of restricting recycling bin to the cherry picked recycling the company wants is silly, give them all the packaging .
    The want
    Newspapers , 100 a ton they get for it
    Drinks bottles, 350 a ton they get for it
    Aluminium cans 900 a ton they get for it
    Steel cans 100 a ton they get for it
    Cardboard 100 a ton they get for it
    Bottles 10 a ton they get for it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

If that was meant to be funny, it wasn't. Anyone who illegally dumps their rubbish should be in prison.

Enlighten me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭Damien360

Stern wrote: »
    Same here, just got the letter today and they say my average bin weight is 118kg. Now I do stack it quite well but at 40kg it would be less than half full with the type of waste I put in there (mainly nappies). Does anyone know if there are options to get a smaller black bin that costs less to pick up? At this rate I would pay €30 for an overweight pickup, or 3x the standard bin charge so it comes to about the same. So basically my bin costs are tripling.

Write to TD any good?
    https://www.whoismytd.com/

That is very heavy. I just checked my weights (newbridge) and the biggest 240L bin was 40kg but it generally floats around 35kg and it is full to the brim (family 2+2). Recycling hits 15kg on average. We stand on that to get more in. Organic waste is for grass only and can hit 30kg. Black bin and organic every 2 weeks. Recycling every 2 weeks alternating. Cost is €276 per year with oxigen. It used to be 380 but local competition drove down pricing. Family member in galway pays 380. What is the cost where you are for current lifts ?

Ignore it.
    I dunno what items you speak of but unless they are something like nappies, or food then ignore list.
    100% packaging goes in recycling bin for me. Food in food bin, and guess what there is nothing else.
    You buy a product, its in packaging, it doesn't come with a used nappie taped to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

In an ideal world maybe, but I wouldn't blame anyone any more. It just goes up and up and up. All that'll happen now is rat neighbours putting things in other people's bins to keep their weight down, so you'd be safer not putting out the black at all and just using the other two. But the stuff that can only go in the black needs to go somewhere.[/quote]

No excuses for throwing rubbish in a ditch ever. Someone will have to clean it. Be an adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Sup08 wrote: »
    Now that the current stay on paying by weight is coming to an end, Panda have notified it's customers that they will now pay 27.7cent per kg above 40kgs in their black bins.

They say that you should put your bins out more frequently to avoid this charge. Are they going to provide a scales for all customers to weigh their bins?

I know bins can be overweight and may cause injury but 40kgs in quiet low for the size of the bins and the fact that many of them are not lifted up kerbs by the workers means their letter is factually incorrect. Where I live, the bins must be put on the road to be collected meaning the workers only wheel the bins to the truck.

Will this will just be the start of getting in the weight charges and then the bye-laws will be changed to reduce the maximum weight.
    40kgs is the limit set by a Fingal CoCo bye-law. here Section 7

Source citizens information: here

Letter received today. panda001.jpg

Just reading your attached letter and I'm a bit confused where it states that Fingal CoCo have set the limits of 40kg.
    Now I know LA are Planning, Roads and Housing Authorities but they certainly are not Health & Safety Authorities.
    I'd suggest getting on to the Environment SPC councillors and see if they can make any inroads on this.
    It appears to me that perhaps PANDA are using the Pay by Weight as a means of increasing charges and possibly using the LA as the scapegoat.

Sorry, just saw your link for the bye laws and it does appear that they have been enacted by Fingal CoCo.
    Your snookered!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ignore it.
    I dunno what items you speak of but unless they are something like nappies, or food then ignore list.
    100% packaging goes in recycling bin for me. Food in food bin, and guess what there is nothing else.
    You buy a product, its in packaging, it doesn't come with a used nappie taped to it.

A large amount of the packaging used is not recyclable. Look for the number on the plastic to see if it can be recycled, if there is no number it can't be recycled. Any cardboard or paper with plastic or wax is not recyclable in this country, take away coffee cups etc.

By putting non recyclable materials in the green bin you are contaminating the whole load. Granted the majority of the contamination in the green bin is nappies and other items but every bit means that the load goes to landfill.

What the frying duck would you have in a bin to make it weigh 60 kg. No such thing as waste so why not get rid of black bin and use food bin and recycling bin for 100% off packaging. What else is there? Geez
    I haven't had a black bin in years.

I have 2 green bins, full every two weeks for collection and a brown bin that goes out once every 4 weeks. Never full as front garden is very small and back garden has no greenery, patio and dog run. This with any waste food that we place in a compostable bag.
    Waste is the stuff that cannot go in either the green or the brown bin. Dirty items that would normally be green bin recyclables are not permitted in the green bin and are therefore black bin waste.
    We even have matching bins in our kitchen so the kids make sure they understand recycling.
    60kg+ is when the bin is ready to be put out and doesn't mean the wrong items go in the bin. It just means it goes out less frequently than Panda want it to.

If you haven't used a black bin in years, then you are more than likely recycling incorrectly or posting incorrectly on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Can you get a second green bin and is it free?

Phil.x wrote: »
    Can you get a second green bin and is it free?

We have had 2 green bins since we moved into the house in 2005, you would have to ask your provider if they supply two.

Del2005 wrote: »
    A large amount of the packaging used is not recyclable. Look for the number on the plastic to see if it can be recycled, if there is no number it can't be recycled. Any cardboard or paper with plastic or wax is not recyclable in this country, take away coffee cups etc.

By putting non recyclable materials in the green bin you are contaminating the whole load. Granted the majority of the contamination in the green bin is nappies and other items but every bit means that the load goes to landfill.

That's bull.
    All about the btu's . No recycling or what's left over from recycling goes to landfill. Even black bin waste will go for heating and to produce electricity whether in Ireland or Sweden, most of it goes to Sweden.
    Anything that can burn should be in recycling bin. It all has a btu value.
    Recycling bin should be clean, can't be full of food or grass cuttings or nappies so on, but ALL packaging goes in mine.
    I have food bin and recycling/ packaging bin full stop. Haven't had a waste bin in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

It's not bull ... a few containers of recycled waste were returned from China recently because of contaminated waste in them, huge cost involved for waste company which is then passed on to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Food in food bin, and guess what there is nothing else.

People think that a lot more can go in the green bin than actually can. Our black bin only goes out about once every 2 months, but it still gets filled to the brim each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭plodder

And it's the black bin contents that are going to be incinerated, not the green bin. The green bin can only take materials that can be recycled, not burned.

Advertisement