Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay by weight coming to Fingal in July.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Stern

Damien360 wrote: »
    Stern wrote: »
    Same here, just got the letter today and they say my average bin weight is 118kg. Now I do stack it quite well but at 40kg it would be less than half full with the type of waste I put in there (mainly nappies). Does anyone know if there are options to get a smaller black bin that costs less to pick up? At this rate I would pay €30 for an overweight pickup, or 3x the standard bin charge so it comes to about the same. So basically my bin costs are tripling.

Write to TD any good?
    https://www.whoismytd.com/

That is very heavy. I just checked my weights (newbridge) and the biggest 240L bin was 40kg but it generally floats around 35kg and it is full to the brim (family 2+2). Recycling hits 15kg on average. We stand on that to get more in. Organic waste is for grass only and can hit 30kg. Black bin and organic every 2 weeks. Recycling every 2 weeks alternating. Cost is €276 per year with oxigen. It used to be 380 but local competition drove down pricing. Family member in galway pays 380. What is the cost where you are for current lifts ?
    Currently we pay €9.05 per black bin pick-up. But if it's capped at 40kg with a surcharge for anything above that we've worked out that it would end up costing about €31 per pick-up. On the flip side if we put it out 3 times instead of once it would cost €27.15. Basically our bin costs will triple, and that is on top of a yearly €110 standing charge.
    In terms of what we put in, it's primarily nappies and food waste. We do try and only put recyclables into the green bin but sometimes I have to admit the packaging that is marked non-recyclable may end up there too if it's plastic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭The Davestator

When my little lad fills the black bin with nappies, it weights about 1,546 kg's!
    Better get him toilet trained before July:eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I have a disabled child aged 15 in nappies, looks like I'll have to go back to terry towels to keep the weight down :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

fergal.b wrote: »
    I have a disabled child aged 15 in nappies, looks like I'll have to go back to terry towels to keep the weight down :eek:

I'm not 100% sure and cannot find the source, but I think there maybe some sort of allowance or exception for a person that relies on such things as nappies on medical grounds and can be classed as a different type of waste. You should check this out with the HSE. County Council or your service provider.

I would be a disgrace if not and I would most definitely get onto somebody like a TD, Joe Duffy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Does anyone have a link to Pandas pricing?
    Latest charge seems ridiculous.
    Average bi-monthly charge has gone from 30 to 130 euro for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

mathie wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to Pandas pricing?
    Latest charge seems ridiculous.
    Average bi-monthly charge has gone from 30 to 130 euro for me.

It couldn't have, that must include your annual charge which is about €100. I'd say that's what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Panda to start charging for the green bin from 19th April. 80 cents per lift of your recycling bin and 4.5 cents per kg.

I didn't receive the email from them but my brother and parents did. It was hidden at the bottom of a mail with a subject "Panda addresses the China problem".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,348 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sgarvan wrote: »
    Panda to start charging for the green bin from 19th April. 80 cents per lift of your recycling bin and 4.5 cents per kg.

I didn't receive the email from them but my brother and parents did. It was hidden at the bottom of a mail with a subject "Panda addresses the China problem".

I got it.

It was inevitable really. Exporting our rubbish was hardly going to work forever.

I'd like to know what Panda have put in place over the years for this eventuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭plodder

There's an interesting special report in the Irish Examiner about Panda, their problems with recycling and the poor standard of waste separation they have to deal with.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/analysis/special-report-failure-of-irish-households-to-recycle-properly-is-a-massive-waste-of-time-829833.html
    Mouldy food, toilet wipes, soggy cotton pads, aerosol cans, broken toys, old socks, worn shoes, ragged jumpers, cat poo, an iron, a lamp, a long, twisted, jagged metal strip, of the type used by carpet-layers, a car’s wing mirror, a burst basketball, and nappies — lots of nappies — cling to just a few square feet of the mountain (a few years ago, a dead labrador was found within the mountain).
    On the China situation:
    We could see that coming,” he says. “It was mainly a cottage industry so you had ordinary householders who would buy a single bale, take it home and everyone, including the children, would sort it and wash it by hand and shred it and then sell it on to a local factory making cheap plastic goods. There was no talk of health and safety or environmental standards.”
    That's always the risk when shipping waste to the other side of the world to be "recycled".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

We go a letter from Panda yesterday stating that from 19 APRIL 2018 lifts will cost 80c and in addition there will be a 4.5c charge per kilo.

:eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I got a text to tell me they had sent an email.
    Entitled something to do with China....couple of paragraphs down it eventually got to the point...ie they are charging more.
    Annoyed me.Just fcking say it, stop hiding it in a lot of unrelated rubbish (excuse the pun).

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Even so, somebody came into my yard and sneaked an extra plastic bag of rubbish into my green bin last week!!!:confused:
    We'll all have to be more vigilant about bin buggers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

cbreeze wrote: »
    Even so, somebody came into my yard and sneaked an extra plastic bag of rubbish into my green bin last week!!!:confused:
    We'll all have to be more vigilant about bin buggers

Cheeky! There will probably be an increase in that - and illegal dumping.

Advertisement