Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia Stage 1 May 5: Alghero-Olbia 206 km **Spoilers*

Options
  • 04-05-2017 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

30 years on from Ireland's first grand tour race win stage 1 of this years Giro starts in Sardinia on a lumpy stage where the forecasted strong winds may add to the fun and games. Irish interest in Sam Bennett (Bora) & Phillip Deignan (Sky). Stage 1 maybe a stage for Sam to take the sprint but with the likes of Caleb Ewan & Andre Greipel it,ll be a tough 1. Astana will lead out the race start with only 8 riders instead of the permitted 9 in memory of Michale Scarponi.
    There are also three categorized climbs: the first two come fairly early and are very easy. Multeddu (GPM4, 4.6 km at 3.3%) and Trinità d’Agultu (GPM4, 6.1 km at 4.4%) will probably decide the first blue jersey, but the peloton will barely notice them. The last categorized climb instead might have a much bigger effect. S.Pantaleo (GPM4, 3.3 km at 5.6%) is at 21 km to go, which is a lot, but it wouldn't be impossible for a group of attackers to stay clear if they break away there, considering that the peloton should be tired enough by that time, because of the rough terrain they'll be riding on the whole day. Those last 20 kms however are easy, on much simpler roads than the rest of the stage, and the final kms in the town of Olbia don't present particularly dangerous spots.

stage_1_profile_670.jpeg
    The Climbs:

Multeddu GPM4
    Easy. Very easy. No profile provided.

Trinità d’Agultu GPM4
    As above. A bit harder than the first climb, though.

San Pantaleo GPM4
    Short and easy overall, but with a solid first km and a steep ramp in the middle. Might give trouble to some riders if the pace is high.

stage_1_map_670.jpeg
    Paddy Powers stage 1 winner odds
    Fernando Gaviria 9/4
    Caleb Ewan 5/2
    Andre Greipel 5/2
    Sam Bennett 8/1
    Sacha Modolo 11/1

AzWM25D.jpg?1

Full Start List
    http://static2.giroditalia.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/GIT-17_Riepilogo-partenti_NO-UCI-ID.pdf

TV Coverage
    Eurosport - Live from 1145am - 5pm
    Eurosport 2 - Highlights 2200-2300

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Its hard to look past either of the "Big G's" ...
    Gaviria or Greipel for me......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Sam Bennett to start early

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

And they're off . . . Come on the man from Carrick!

Not that man, the other man.

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Sam Bennett to start early

What time does he start?
    A head start , like..... :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Is that Jonathan Edwards doing the questioning of kelly & hayman on eurosport?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

neris wrote: »
    Is that Jonathan Edwards doing the questioning of kelly & hayman on eurosport?

Yes

So, have Ashley House and Flecha been booted then ?

greenspurs wrote: »
    So, have Ashley House and Flecha been booted then ?

They're living very happily together in a cottage on Achill Island. Every morning Juan Antonio goes on a hilly cycle with a mounted camera pointed at his face, and after a Mediterranean salad they watch the footage together whilst wearing colourful trousers.

i will miss his bright and colourful watches ...... to match/clash with his britches .......

Was expecting Carlton Kirby to be commentating today , he mentioned himself and smith were heading down after mondays race in germany.

• Advertisement

If Sam Bennett could win today & get into the leaders' jersey, even by the time he's retired could well be the biggest moment of his pro career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Was expecting Carlton Kirby to be commentating today , he mentioned himself and smith were heading down after mondays race in germany.

I think Kirby usually does the international feed for RCS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

No Kirby...Man how I love the Giro!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'd say them Bora cookers are in the Lotto winners price category....

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Not seen any of the race but guessing it's not riveting going by the amount of posts. Our maybe everyone's just to busy working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Well that was a surprise. Bora with the stage win

Sams lead out man Postlburger rides away from the peleton in the last km

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Thought his name was familiar, winner of the Ras in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,378 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Orica couldn't stay on his wheel so he went on and won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

All afraid to put their noses into the headwind. Fair play to him. To be able to put look around and see the gap and get the hands in the air that far out must be amazing. Wasn't as if he was giving it full gas either from how it looked.

• Advertisement

Brilliant by Postlburger(?). If twas me I don't think I'd have been riding it in so casually there the last 100 m's arms aloft with sprinters flying up from behind.

So stage 1 of Giro & straight off it departs from the script. Lots more of that hopefully.

Sam ends up in 10th
    90d769209b774c028e2637f1d6dea9af.png

Listening to the Bora DS after the race, they had no idea what was happening during the last km and only heard Sam shouting at Postelburger to "Go Go Go" to realise that he had a chance to hold on.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

there is a new definition to 'going postal'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Bora have all the jerseys, if i'm reading it correctly. and are 1st in team classification.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Amazing by Postlberger! He actually hesitated for a few seconds before he finally went all in.

Looking at the results, Dan Martin is the biggest loser GC-wise. Other second tier favourites lost 13 and 18 seconds after that incident just outside the 3km banner.

What was Jonathon Edwards role in Eurosport's coverage today? I saw JA Flecha and the other guy Ashley House? doing backstage roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Looking at the results, Dan Martin is the biggest loser GC-wise.

Yea - that happens when you're not in the race! :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

Baffled by the Dan Martin mention myself but I see for some reason he's listed at CN as coming in 153rd 1 minute 19 down. A bit odd seeing as he's definitely not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Daniel Felipe Martinez was 153rd.

• Advertisement

Thus the confusion. To copy & paste what CN have:

153 Daniel Martin (Irl) Quick-Step Floors

Advertisement