Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiddle Spinners!!

Options
  • 04-05-2017 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭

My son has me demented looking for these bloody things. We went into town on Tuesday and everywhere was sold out with dozens of parents, like myself, wandering from shop to shop asking if they have them.

So, if you've seen them in central Dublin or the north suburbs please post here.

PLEASE! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Hi I have seen them for sale on groupon I think they were 4.99 plus delivery or living social for 5.99

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

lots on adverts, only heard of them in the last few days
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_spinner/

fidget spinner is the proper name

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fidget_spinner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Got 2 on Mary Street yesterday lunch time, selling them outside between Deals and M&S.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Charlestown shopping centre has a pop up shop selling them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Got 2 on Mary Street yesterday lunch time, selling them outside between Deals and M&S.
    They were there today too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I saw them on sale on Henry st yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Got them in Charlestown, thanks for the nod.

200% mark-up on the RRP, the guy was raking it in. Fair dues to him being in the market at the right time. This time next month they won't be able to give them away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Are these those yokes you put on your finger and they spin? If so, I've seem them being sold on Henry Street between Dealz and M&S.

Personally don't see the appeal. Though maybe I'm wrong in my thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

They have them on some shop on Talbot St (next to FX Buckley butcher). Shop has a sign up outside this evening advertising them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Got them in Charlestown, thanks for the nod.

200% mark-up on the RRP, the guy was raking it in. Fair dues to him being in the market at the right time. This time next month they won't be able to give them away.

He was looking for €8 each!

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    He was looking for €8 each!

2 for €15, I got 3 for €20. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I bought two on Amazon.co.uk for 4 pounds. Delivered to your door

I bought two on Amazon.co.uk for 4 pounds. Delivered to your door

So did my wife last Saturday. They're due for delivery end of this month!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I saw them for sale in shops on Talbot Street on Friday - kids really like dumb stuff sometimes. In my day it was bits of elastic for the "England, Ireland, Scotland" game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Got 3 in Charlestown yesterday. 5 euro each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I don't understand the enthusiasm for these. You hold them between your thumb and index finger and a piece of plastic spins around? Seriously, why would people spend their hard earned money on crap like that. The kids would be bored with it after 10 minutes, if that.

B'ah! Maybe I'm just old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

There are always things like this that come along every few years. From Rubix cubes to Yo-Yos to Pogs, its just something for kids to do that catches on.

Kids want to have what their friends have and start start working on their parents endlessly until they get one, sparking massive demand that fizzles out in a few months, only for them to become retro 20 years from now and the circle is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

January wrote: »
    Got 3 in Charlestown yesterday. 5 euro each

He wasn't there today. Fad must be dying off already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I can just imagine OP going into smyths perplexed looking for

"one of them fiddle spinner yokes or whatever you call em"

to the bemused look of the shop assistant

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If anyone is still looking for these, Mr Price apparently have a load of them, €2.99 each

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

miamee wrote: »
    If anyone is still looking for these, Mr Price apparently have a load of them, €2.99 each

Tonnes of them in Mr.Price in Blanch as of 8pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Tonnes of them in Mr.Price in Blanch as of 8pm.

Another craze bites the dust!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭mvron

Street traders on both Grafton and Henry Streets selling these yesterday

Cienciano wrote: »
    He wasn't there today. Fad must be dying off already

Was on the stand that sell the bows and stuff near to Heatons it's always there they must have been out of stock.

January wrote: »
    Was on the stand that sell the bows and stuff near to Heatons it's always there they must have been out of stock.

I was in the queue in Lidl earlier and earwigging on the conversation between 2 student types of The Young Ones type.
    One was saying how he spotted a 9 ct. gold plated fiddle spinner called a Wolf Fang earlier.
    Apparently it has a glass centre with a picture of a wolf.
    €80!!!!

infogiver wrote: »
    I was in the queue in Lidl earlier and earwigging on the conversation between 2 student types of The Young Ones type.
    One was saying how he spotted a 9 ct. gold plated fiddle spinner called a Wolf Fang earlier.
    Apparently it has a glass centre with a picture of a wolf.
    €80!!!!

World's gone mad!

I didn't really want to even spend a fiver on one! My daughter bought them for her and her sisters out of her communion money so I couldn't really say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

every discount and phone shop on Talbot St. is selling them - one of them has 3 for €10 if you're looking for cheap spinners.

loyatemu wrote: »
    every discount and phone shop on Talbot St. is selling them - one of them has 3 for €10 if you're looking for cheap spinners.

I think of all the fads throughout my lifetime, this one came in the fastest and lasted the shortest amount of time - between a week and 10 days. The illegal non-CE approved gadgets, and anyone selling them, cleaned up because they were first on the market. The shops tried as hard as they could but couldn't get stocks in time. Now they're left with unsellable stock. They'll be talking about this one in marketing lectures for a few years yet. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The illegal non-CE approved gadgets,
    CE is required for childrens toys, if it was sold as an adult stress relief device it would not require it. This is why you often see these "this is not a toy" stickers on things, to be sure to cover themselves, and for genuine safety warnings.

• Advertisement

Born in 1965 the first craze I remember (apart from hula hoops and skipping ropes, which come and go) was "klackers".
    2 balls on 2 pieces of string, attached by a loop, which you had to...well, clack off one another so that...well, ...nothing really.
    Genius.

Advertisement