Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Planning Permission Query

Options
  • 04-05-2017 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I had wanted to ask a question to try and get some information. I'm not entirely sure of what I'm asking so my apologies if I'm quite vague. So currently a small site has caught the attention of my partner and I. It's out in the countryside and is being sold without planning permission, so really all we'd be buying is a field in the countryside.
    She spoke withe the estate agent selling the land who said it's not possible to build on it at the moment but it might be possible some years down the line, once you've owned it for a while.

Is this what normally happens in regards to owning a site?

Comments

No - I would expect it to be sold subject to you receiving planning permission on the site.

Buying it without planning permission is just buying a very small very expensive agricultural field.

Is it in an area that has local needs restrictions?
    Is it suitable for building on?
    Has it a planning history?

Estate agent saying you won't get planning would be ringing alarm bells to me - who is selling it? Someone who bought it and failed to get planning on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

How small is small? Planning authority for the area will have a minimum size required for a site for a one-off build. You should be able to review all of these types of restrictions/requirements on the Planning authority's website. Good place to start I would say.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Is this what normally happens in regards to owning a site?

It's not a site though, you said it yourself. It's a field with no immediate prospect of planning.

It sounds like it's in an area that may eventually get planning if you satisfy the local needs criteria. Do you live very locally to the field?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Or the current zoning may not be for residential.
    Why does the seller not get planning and sell it with planning?
    Depending on price, location and what you can do with t in the mean time.

Advertisement