Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Base for wooden garden shed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You don't need a solid concrete base. The last shed I had sat on concrete blocks which just rested on the grass/topsoil. It was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

I have a wooden garden shed 18' X 10'.....it is resting on concrete blocks on their flat...there for 11 years...still perfect with problems or movement.

I put heavy duty plastic squares (cut from a fertiliser bag) on top of the blocks to act as a damp proof course to stop rising damp.

Just make sure the shed sits level on the blocks with no movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

J.R. wrote: »
    I have a wooden garden shed 18' X 10'.....it is resting on concrete blocks on their flat...there for 11 years...still perfect with problems or movement.

I put heavy duty plastic squares (cut from a fertiliser bag) on top of the blocks to act as a damp proof course to stop rising damp.

Just make sure the shed sits level on the blocks with no movement.

Thanks. Nice tip with the plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

I have an 8 x 8 shed that sat on blocks no problems (getting rid of it due to house move now). Shed was lined with damp proof membrane on the walls but the floor was just timber - if you have it well raised on concrete blocks it should be fine. I did lift the turf underneath the shed though. I think the plastic bag tip is a good one - maybe some fertiliser bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Lumen wrote: »
    You don't need a solid concrete base. The last shed I had sat on concrete blocks which just rested on the grass/topsoil. It was fine.

Same here.
    The shed shades the ground and nothing grows under it, air circulation is good.
    Just get the blocks level.
    We used 12" blocks for larger surface area, both ends and in the middle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement