Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will it ever rain again?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

Pauldry by name.
    Paul Dry by observation! :D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Water level very low in Lough Leane in Killarney today.

Byfyvm8.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Lough Currane in Waterville is down to bones.....and seems to have a new prevailing wind - easterly.
    Every time I've been out this year it's been an east wind of some variety and that's a repeat of the last three or four years.
    The brother plays golf on Bull Island and the front nine at Royal Dublin is traditionally easier because you should have a westerly at your back and vice versa coming home. He reckons that more often that not in the same time span, the opposite is the case and others have noted the same.
    Is there a tool out there to measure accumlated time for wind direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes MT Cranium or Syranbreun

(Theyr not tools though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

We planted bare root hedging about 4 weeks ago and we have only had one morning with a bit of rain since.
    I have had to spend almost 2hrs watering it every evening. So effin pissed off. Praying for rain!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I think it's only apt to put the satellite pic of the fires in Galway today in this thread.
    (As devastating as it is for the people on the ground but the weather conditions are a help to this fire).:(

screenshot_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Does it look like we will get much rain from Friday on the long term models?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Does it look like we will get much rain from Friday on the long term models?

Here are the GFS ensembles for Dublin. In reality, it's not a lot of rain on Friday but considering how little rain we have received since March, it is a lot :P.

GFSENS06_53_-6_201.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I'm watching the rain teeming down in Madrid on the telly now before I go out to water my dying drought stricken plants ......... irony or what!

In answer to the thread title.

YES for the next 10 days at least.

• Advertisement

pauldry wrote: »

I don't see a big lot though (well not for the southeast ) the west will get it from this LP and then possibly the entire country on Sunday night Monday morning from this bulge on the isobars on this low coming up from the southwest.
    But really the pressure on any of the days is not that low really.
    The lowest on any of the days looks to be 995 and we're getting that at the moment.
    So really we should be getting some convection going based on the pressure today.
    It really looks to be 995 today and then rising again bar this blip on Sunday and then rising again.
    (This is based on the gfs charts).
    But with LP to the west for the next few days and a sw wind. It looks like thunderstorms maybe up around leitrim Sligo direction after they have built up over land but with land so dry atm it could be iffy too.

pauldry wrote: »

Ha! It's dropping rain here now.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Damn I was going to cut the grass, better get a move on!

Too late :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sunny as fcuk and grass getting more yellow by the hour here in West Clare!

End of May trending drier again so 7 to 10 days of rain and variable at that

Some areas could get lots and some not so much at all as its thundery.

Look at www.sat24.com now (thursday 11th may!)

The rain in Spain falls mainly on EVERYTHING

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

counted about six drops of rain this afternoon and now its back to the drought

Rain approaching my parts, nothing heavy but I am looking forward to THAT smell when rain falls on parched earth after a long dry spell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

For those of you who are experts in the field, what is the likelihood of rain in Waterford City Saturday afternoon from 1pm to 4pm, and how heavy etc? I've a few track races I'm running there and hoping the rain stays away for that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Rain approaching my parts, nothing heavy but I am looking forward to THAT smell when rain falls on parched earth after a long dry spell. :)

had that smell earlier, was very intense.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gonzo wrote: »
    had that smell earlier, was very intense.

Petrichor.

That's the name of the smell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Chivito550 wrote: »
    For those of you who are experts in the field, what is the likelihood of rain in Waterford City Saturday afternoon from 1pm to 4pm, and how heavy etc? I've a few track races I'm running there and hoping the rain stays away for that.

Very likely. At this moment, could be from 5-10mm at most I think. However, even 2 days ahead is not reliable considering Ireland's weather :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    With the forecast giving rain first for next Tuesday and now it's being pushed back till Friday.:(

Will it ever rain again?:p

its ireland, we live on the side of a huge pond of water

dont be worried it will rain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

National 4 week rainfall total up to yesterday:

hgBT7SE.png

Current total on 14.1 mm; well below the 10 year average (2007-2016) of 66.7 mm for the same period.

Data C/O Met Éireann.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Irish Times with a trashy Express like headline.
    "Put the Tee-shirt away, the summer could already be over"

Meteorological summer starts in June and we can only see about 10 days ahead at most.
    Really bad headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

RobertKK wrote: »

Meteorological summer starts in June and we can only see about 10 days ahead at most.
    Really bad headline.

Being ireland it could be true as summer has often ended before it had even begun:rolleyes: but for some reason I think this year we have a better chance than usual of having a decent summer;):cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

RobertKK wrote: »

Really bad headline.

That's a controversial statement around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd forgotten just how much I hate this sort of weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

I'd forgotten just how much I hate this sort of weather.

Maybe just get used to it, again.

Total so far - a worthless one millimeter!
    Not even enough for that smell which I only discovered yesterday has a name- petrichor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavy Rain falling in Naas at the moment , 9mm recorded so far

60mm/hr

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement