Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree to plant for our 3 children with all season round colour & interest

Options
  • 04-05-2017 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I am looking for a tree to sow in our garden to represent our 3 children, the third who was only recently born.

I am looking for a good upright shape & structure to the tree that offers great interest throughout the seasons, in terms of lovely vibrant colours at times.

I would like to plant in our garden which will be view well from our house as at one side we have good bit of glass in terms of windows and sliding doors which lead out to large patio area and behind that a granite wall which steps up to garden. So it will be a nice distance away but still on great view from the house. I may even put in bench or garden feature close by in the future.
    I was thinking about a tree close to 20ft size in the future.

I would really appreicate some lovely ideas, Thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Has to be a jackmonti, a lovely white barked birch. You have the white bark all year round, it's catkins have just come and gone and the leaves open up to a very bright green.
    Upright form and very hardy.
    Kids tend to Peel off the peeling paper thin bark to reveal a very very clean white bark. But must be warned not to overdo it.
    Fabulous all round tree.

Buy one bare rooted next winter and have a family planting day with a picnic on a dry day when the ground is not frozen.
    Buy in November and get the best stock and store in a healing in bed till ready to plant.
    Use an oblique stake, with a soft rubber tie and the plant can be between 90-120 cm tall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

A Family Tree :D - sorry couldn't resist

We planted fruit trees when ours were born & they get the benefit of harvesting their own fruit each year (Apple, Peach & Plum). IF you're looking for all round interest, I'd suggest maybe something from the Acer Palmatum family - not too big and colourful all year

Advertisement