Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice of Resignation (Boss wants me to stay)

Options
  • 04-05-2017 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

right, I posted this a few days ago but maybe the mods didn't see it so I'll go again.

I am in a job that I dislike very much but want to cut ties for the new position in an amicable way if I can. I have an exit interview to do and will try to be as PC as possible during it...

My main issue is this. I have 10 days leave left. Boss has known I'm leaving since last Friday and this would mean that I will finish in 2 weeks to take my leave as I'm due it. He wants me to get paid and work up to the week before which I am disagreeing with completely. In my contract, it says 'One month's notice' which is what this is. However, HR is saying that it is a 'calendar month' which makes no sense as if I did that I would be working 2 days into a new flexi/pay period... It's so much simpler the way I'm looking at it.

I have a few big tasks I need to be done before I go which I am frantically trying to do but anyone knows what is the best way to go about this? I need the leave... Health probs (mostly mental).

Thanks
    New Start

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

What you are saying is not terribly clear. Is it that you have leave to take but that boss prefers to pay you the leave and you work the full notice?

They can withhold a reference, but not much more they can do. They cannot physically keep you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Leave dates are at the discretion of your employer, they do not have to allow you to take annual leave and can indeed pay you for untsken leave in your last pay cheque.

You could get a medical certificate and stay off work but you won't be paid while out sick.

There are tangible benefits to leaving on good terms with a good reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

davo10 wrote: »
    Leave dates are at the discretion of your employer, they do not have to allow you to take annual leave and can indeed pay you for untsken leave in your last pay cheque.

You could get a medical certificate and stay off work but you won't be paid while out sick.

There are tangible benefits to leaving on good terms with a good reference.

All good advice.

However, OP, if your mental health is suffering it may be worth getting a sick cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

It would be standard enough practice to refuse annual leave during the serving notice period.
    I think you need to find the werewithall to work these days and leave on good terms.

Advertisement