Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Really worried about career and future

• 04-05-2017 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys

I've started this post a few times over the last week, but, while writing it, I think of the potential responses and try and decide what do to myself. It's not working though.

I've started in a job in a well established company in a new country recently, and it is not really working out so far. I have a lot of experience in my area, but the main project that I was brought in for has been cancelled, and I have almost no billable hours after a month.

I am at a relatively senior position, but the work that is happening at the moment is not something that I have experience in. I'm spending my time trying to learn things, but I'm still far behind most of the people in my team in these areas. I know that people are wondering why I was brought in at the level that I'm at - and I'm losing all confidence and afraid to ask questions which make me look completely stupid. I've spoken to my director who was initially confident that I could bring my skills to use, but, last time, said that - if things don't pick up - he'll be needing to get rid of the ex-pats (which is me). This was said in a jokey way, but it is actually true.

I've moved over here with a view to staying here for at least a few years at least and getting settled. Now, as I'm still in my probationary period - if the work doesn't materialise, I will be the first to go.

I'm worried now. I would find it difficult to get another job in this country as I don't speak the language, and my specialities are not so in demand here it seems. There's potential in the job, but I just can't seem to prove myself as everything being worked on at the moment is nothing that I know of.

I'm kind of lost. I had a very good position in Ireland, but I left for this one, which seemed, on paper, to be great. I am so sick of moving around (the last position involved a fair bit of travelling, so I was happy to take this up where I could have a home as a base).

I don't know what to do. I've spoken to people, I've been working on upskilling, but - this isn't the job that I am right for at this moment. HOWEVER - if I (get told to) leave after a month or two months, I'm really damaging my career path as this is a very prestigious company (admittedly with some bad business plans for my department).

Other people in my department are in a similar situation, however, they have experience in tax, or finance, or legal. I don't have experience to move sideways right now.

Problem is at this stage, I'm so tired of this. I want to work hard and I know I'm good, but the work isn't there. If this doesn't work, I'll get again to look for a new position with more moving involved, and this time with a blemish on my cv. I'd love to stay here and really contribute. What the flip do I do now?

Advertisement