Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redwater (Kat and Alfie from Eastenders spin off show)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Samsgirl wrote: »
    So, are we sticking with this one? Give it another go next week?

Ya I'm going to, would like to see who's delivering the juice to the door anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Does Alfie still have his Brian tumour

He got cured at Knock.

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya I'm going to, would like to see who's delivering the juice to the door anyway.

Pat Mustard probably

fin12 wrote: »
    Aren't priests supposed to not waste anything?

Yes they take a vow of chastity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Im imagining one of those 80s ads with the likes of the hurlers Joe Cooney or Bobby Ryan 'Treat your cows for Redwater today' :D

So imagine Redwater is actually set in Co Waterford an addressed envelope might read

Redwater
    Co Waterford

Too much usage of the word water there.

It said that on the postcard Kat had near the start of the episode. It showed the pub and underneath it was Redwater, Co Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

To be fair I thought it was grand. Not nearly as twee as it coulda been. Not a paddy joe or a seamus in sight. In fact it went the other way ( I've never heard of an Irish lad called lance! ) The only bad character to me is the priest. He's like something outta 'the wicker man' . He even has a real clichéd line in the trailer ..... something like ...' don't be inviting them ..... They don't belong here '. He's watched the omen 2 once too often and is playing Damien Thorne.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    is redwater not a urinary tract infection in some cattle?

It is a single cell protozoa/parasite that attacks the blood cells which leads to red blood cells passing in the urine of cattle, and transmitted by ticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭beardo81

So in the scene from the start and the flashback near the end, the priest was in the water with his adoptive mother and let her drown? A psychopath from a young age?
    Or am I completely off the mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

beardo81 wrote: »
    So in the scene from the start and the flash acknowledge near the end, the priest was in the water with his adoptive mother and let her drown? A psychopath from a young age?
    Or am I completely off the mark?

That was my take on it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah, I'm lost too.
    I haven't seen Eastenders in 10 years but vaguely remember those too.

Kat said they left the twins with family in London. Alfie has headaches and visions so probably still has a brain tumour.

I'm confused over who was in the boating incident, priest, Andrew, other boy and Priest's mam?

Who is in the main family? The mam, the guy who swims in the 'ocean' every day and their kids, the dead woman, Andrew's mam and the priest?

The horse ride on the beach was funny, the horse tied to the life buoy was just odd. As who was the girl robbing the horse, is she the pregnant woman's daughter?

For locals, the running race started in Dunmore, then went through Passage (another village) then back through Dunmore and into the sea. The horse riding was mostly in Woodstown but swung back to Dunmore at the end. But that is to be expected.

I'll stick with it, I love Dunmore and would watch a webcam of the place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,813 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Didn't think it was that bad. As a Waterford man I'm proud to see our wonderful villages getting positive exposure

So are the priest and the guy who rides the horse related ???. Imo The main family seem a bit young to have 4 generations but why are they so into the priest being adopted ???

The priest looks like a physco and I can see him doing something crazy like kidnapping alfie/kats son or trying to kill Alfie. I can see a few deaths in this. Did the priest intentionally let his mother's hand go ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭beardo81

How many episodes of this are we going to get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Kat and Alfie look different, no sign of Kat's red lips and lots of leopard print, more demure look since lotto win :p

Alfie looks as if he has aged 20 years

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Alfie looks as if he has aged 20 years

That'd be the result of the Waterford hospitality ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,530 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm lost too.
    I haven't seen Eastenders in 10 years but vaguely remember those too.

Kat said they left the twins with family in London. Alfie has headaches and visions so probably still has a brain tumour.

I'm confused over who was in the boating incident, priest, Andrew, other boy and Priest's mam?

Who is in the main family? The mam, the guy who swims in the 'ocean' every day and their kids, the dead woman, Andrew's mam and the priest?

The horse ride on the beach was funny, the horse tied to the life buoy was just odd. As who was the girl robbing the horse, is she the pregnant woman's daughter?

For locals, the running race started in Dunmore, then went through Passage (another village) then back through Dunmore and into the sea. The horse riding was mostly in Woodstown but swung back to Dunmore at the end. But that is to be expected.

I'll stick with it, I love Dunmore and would watch a webcam of the place!

Would probably have a better script too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

I take it there not going to show it on the RTE player as it has not shown in the UK yet. Had a look earlier and no sign of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

It will be on the RTE player on Thursday. This could be to do with the BBC not showing it till Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

beardo81 wrote: »
    Nicely shot but really clumsily scripted. Conversations and scenes start unnaturally and nothing gels.
    I'll stick with it to see if it improves but it's disappointing.

Yes. I agree.
    The very fact that Kat saw who she believes is her son after five minutes in Redwater was a sign that it is weak.

If a priest was in a charity race (or whatever it was) it seemed odd that he would wear a collar.

Yer man on a horse dressed like that is just bonkers.

Comparing it to say, Line of Duty, is like comparing Enid Blyton to Shakespeare.

Kat stopping to talk to her son (?) while he was working in the field and riddling him with questions jarred. You just would not say things like that to strangers without the thinking you were odd.

I think the family on the farm make the Orange Juice and the priest was prob annoyed that they delivered it to him ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,286 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wonder will Zoe visit her killer twin brother

the landlord of the pub (the priests adopted father) must be a right prick if his wife went too london alone heavily pregnent and lost the baby but adopted one and told him she gave birth to him.

rewatched it there, the priest is second cousin to Andrew (Stumpy in Love/hate) so he would be Andrews mothers first cousin. so he
    murdered his uncle ??

Andrew seems very young to have a teenage daughter ???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

The priest looks like he could be Zoe's twin.. so not bad casting there. Couldn't understand why Kat was fixated on Andrew straight away and didn't even give poor holy weird beard a 2nd look despite him being the same age. It's a pity he's a mental as poor Kat won't get a happy ever after. Hope Maria D Kennedy has a chance to sing. Great voice she has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭George White

PTH2009 wrote: »
    the landlord of the pub (the priests adopted father) must be a right prick if his wife went too london alone heavily pregnent and lost the baby but adopted one and told him she gave birth to him.

rewatched it there, the priest is second cousin to Andrew (Stumpy in Love/hate) so he would be Andrews mothers first cousin. so he
    murdered his uncle ??

Andrew seems very young to have a teenage daughter ???

They seem to think that everyone in Ireland marries at 17. In Flanagan/McElhinney and Maria Doyle Kennedy's case, it seems relatively plausible - being the era of the Magdalenes. My aunt and uncle were 16/17 when they married in the 60s, after a pregnancy. Still together.

So whats everyones guess whats going to happen

I think there will be more deaths caused by the crazy priest and he will eventually be killed himself

will it be revealed that the priest is actually the heir to the farm/business and thats the reason why the family kept it his adoption hidden from him ??. I dont understand why they didnt want to tell him hes adopted

There will be a brawl of some sort involving Andrew, Alfie etc possibly at
    Lances wake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

This is going out on BBC1 tonight. Will be interesting to see what they make of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Alfie Moon wearing white trousers in the sticks.

It's a rather strange but not exactly compelling mix of genres and vibes which is best when free of the blow-ins.

Alfie Moon wearing white trousers in the sticks.

It's a rather strange but not exactly compelling mix of genres and vibes which is best when free of the blow-ins.

So us irish are protrayed as nosy, backstabbing, gossaping bastards with drinking and abandoment issues

so are they going too blame
    Alife and Kat for the murder of Lance ???

Why is it such a big deal about
    the priest being adopted ???
    and how will it crush the family business
    ???

can see there being a few fights and more deaths. Whos going to play the typical irish guard that will probly come into it ??.
    I imagine the murdering priest will say the funeral mass ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

They really messed up on this. The premise of Kat going to find her adopted son was quite good, and fits in well with Irish (& British) history of that time. But one would imagine that the
    murder
    would not take centre stage in the series. Be a bit mad if it didn't!

• Advertisement

I liked it, it puts the acting of Fair City to shame so many good Irish actors

Advertisement