Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fail Year One PME Placement

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Above all I think you need to clarify exactly what you were doing and why you failed. Giving a completely blunt response based on what you have written you seem to be under the impression that you really haven't done much wrong. This is a big problem for a few reasons.

If there isn't a major reason at all then you need to know exactly why they think you failed or you cannot challenge or appeal it. As far as I'm aware colleges don't fail you for spurious reasons particularly nowadays when they have rigorous standards to follow, it should be clearly explained to you.

If there is a major issue you don't seem to have recognised it and this is concerning. You mention only that "classroom management was one of your biggest struggles". Everything else you say implies that you think you were doing ok. Classroom management is an incredibly broad area. I remember being told by a DIP student that "she felt like part of the paint in the classroom she had so little control". That student made it through the year but left teaching and went into a different career. How bad is your classroom management? Are the students completely out of control? What type of school is it? Can you expect things to improve if you are in a different school? Again referencing that same case, the student teacher thought the class she was referencing were the worst class ever. They weren't. They were actually a very bog standard average class who were allowed to run riot.

I'm playing devils advocate a bit to other posters here but being very straight with you, this is an expensive venture if it turns out teaching is not for you. Classroom management is simply a requirement. You cannot teach without it.

Edit: You also make a comment "my content knowledge wouldn't be as strong as others" and seem to believe that because you worked on it after the fact that you should have your progress acknowledged. I'm going to be very blunt here, that is just not acceptable. You cannot go into a class with your subject knowledge not up to speed for the topic you are teaching. It will come across to students. Its not fair on them, the course has to be taught-your progress is irrelevant to them. It will also have a huge impact on your classroom management if the students do not think you know your stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 anon321

Above all I think you need to clarify exactly what you were doing and why you failed. Giving a completely blunt response based on what you have written you seem to be under the impression that you really haven't done much wrong. This is a big problem for a few reasons.

If there isn't a major reason at all then you need to know exactly why they think you failed or you cannot challenge or appeal it. As far as I'm aware colleges don't fail you for spurious reasons particularly nowadays when they have rigorous standards to follow, it should be clearly explained to you.

If there is a major issue you don't seem to have recognised it and this is concerning. You mention only that "classroom management was one of your biggest struggles". Everything else you say implies that you think you were doing ok. Classroom management is an incredibly broad area. I remember being told by a DIP student that "she felt like part of the paint in the classroom she had so little control". That student made it through the year but left teaching and went into a different career. How bad is your classroom management? Are the students completely out of control? What type of school is it? Can you expect things to improve if you are in a different school? Again referencing that same case, the student teacher thought the class she was referencing were the worst class ever. They weren't. They were actually a very bog standard average class who were allowed to run riot.

I'm playing devils advocate a bit to other posters here but being very blunt, this is an expensive venture if it turns out teaching is not for you. Classroom management is simply a requirement. You cannot teach without it.

My issue with classroom management is that i did not set out expectations on my first day as I was conscious of coming across too strict and losing the kids straight away. The kids are not out of control, my issues were along the lines of the kids talking when I'm talking, going off task along with my pacing and transitions being a bit slow.

I don't think I was doing ok I'm well aware I was struggling but I was doing my utmost to improve and my co-op teacher has said they have seen evidence of my work ethic to develop ways to improve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

anon321 wrote: »
    My issue with classroom management is that i did not set out expectations on my first day as I was conscious of coming across too strict and losing the kids straight away. The kids are not out of control, my issues were along the lines of the kids talking when I'm talking, going off task along with my pacing and transitions being a bit slow.

I don't think I was doing ok I'm well aware I was struggling but I was doing my utmost to improve and my co-op teacher has said they have seen evidence of my work ethic to develop ways to improve

It is very important to set your stall in the first few classes. I always start out with my expectations of the class for the year and I tell the students the consequences of actions. As I get to know them better, I can pull back but it is very important to be firm when getting to know a class. One of the best techniques when students are talking over you is to stay quiet and make eye contact with the 'talkers' - give a warning first, then follow school protocol i.e. journal signed/points etc.

Circulation around classroom when students are doing a task makes sure all students are working also identifying problems. These are my techniques and they work for me. Also learn names as quick as possible and a well thought out seating plan is essential.

Just in relation to that comment about the deputy has 'commanded me on my willingness to take on a actually teacher classes I have never done before.' - What do you mean by that?

It is very important to set your stall in the first few classes. I always start out with my expectations of the class for the year and I tell the students the consequences of actions. As I get to know them better, I can pull back but it is very important to be firm when getting to know a class. One of the best techniques when students are talking over you is to stay quiet and make eye contact with the 'talkers' - give a warning first, then follow school protocol i.e. journal signed/points etc.

Yeah this is my biggest regret, i know my issues would not have been so bad if i had done this at they start of my time in the school.

I did try the bit in bold and would get silence but in some class as soon as i would start talking the kids would start up again
    Just in relation to that comment about the deputy has 'commanded me on my willingness to take on a actually teacher classes I have never done before.' - What do you mean by that?

That was a typo it should be commended me to my tutor for my willingness to act as substitute for classes Ive never taught before

Yeah this is my biggest regret, i know my issues would not have been so bad if i had done this at they start of my time in the school.

I did try the bit in bold and would get silence but in some class as soon as i would start talking the kids would start up again

That was a typo it should be commended me to my tutor for my willingness to take on a actually teacher classes I have never done before

Stay silent for a few minutes until it freaks them out and then in your lowest voice say that you are going to continue with class. If that doesn't work, get them to write what you should be teaching from the book into their copies. This should get everyone silent. After a few minutes of that, try and start class again. Shouting is no use as they will get louder. As a dip - ask the teacher who has the class how they deal with. Maybe observe if possible.

I still don't understand that last sentence.

• Advertisement

Stay silent for a few minutes until it freaks them out and then in your lowest voice say that you are going to continue with class. If that doesn't work, get them to write what you should be teaching from the book into their copies. This should get everyone silent. After a few minutes of that, try and start class again. Shouting is no use as they will get louder. As a dip - ask the teacher who has the class how they deal with. Maybe observe if possible.

I still don't understand that last sentence.

The VP is the school commended me to my tutor for my willingness to act as substitute for classes I've never taught before i.e I was asked to teach a history class when I never even took history myself in school. I was given a days notice and researched content to teach and delivered the class the next day.

The VP is the school commended me to my tutor for my willingness to act as substitute for classes I've never taught before i.e I was asked to teach a history class when I never even took history myself in school. I was given a days notice and researched content to teach and delivered the class the next day.

I get you now. You better get used to cover for other teachers as you will have to do maybe paid/maybe not - who knows but that depends on the type of school you work in. Fair play preparing for a class other than your own subject. Out of interest - how did that go?

I get you now. You better get used to cover for other teachers as you will have to do maybe paid/maybe not - who knows but that depends on the type of school you work in. Fair play preparing for a class other than your own subject. Out of interest - how did that go?

Yeah it went ok. The were a bit hard to get engaged as they heard their teacher was out so came into the class in "free class mode" so weren't fond on me getting them to do work when they had been planning on doing their homework

Yeah it went ok. The were a bit hard to get engaged as they heard their teacher was out so came into the class in "free class mode" so weren't fond on me getting them to do work when they had been planning on doing their homework

If you were able to manage a sub class which are the most difficult to deal with, I can't understand how you couldn't control your own class where you are the expert of your subject.

If you were able to manage a sub class which are the most difficult to deal with, I can't understand how you couldn't control your own class where you are the expert of your subject.

different environments. my usual class would not be taught in a traditional classroom

• Advertisement
Advertisement