Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolphin at Nimmo's pier

Options
  • 04-05-2017 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been out to see the dolphin lurking at the end of Nimmo's pier for the past few weeks?
    Has it been here before?

Apologies for the bad quality photo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have heard of sightings but never saw one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

Good on you for getting the shot.
    I think this could end badly though. Dolphins can be very dangerous if you're in the water with them.
    It won't be too long before some bucky fiend tries to swim with it. Especially given the weather we're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Alcoheda wrote: »
    Good on you for getting the shot.
    I think this could end badly though. Dolphins can be very dangerous if you're in the water with them.
    It won't be too long before some bucky fiend tries to swim with it. Especially given the weather we're getting.

I think your thinking of a shark mate

pjohnson wrote: »
    I think your thinking of a shark mate
    It could be the same dolphin that was terrorising Doolin a few years ago.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/swimmer-injured-in-co-clare-dolphin-attack-1.1478477?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/swimmer-injured-in-co-clare-dolphin-attack-1.1478477?mode=amp

Probably a cousin, ye Irish are all related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I saw a seal down by the Spanish arch a few weeks ago - hope that helps tongue.png
    Was that dolphin not badly treated by a number of humans before it got a bit cranky? That article makes no mention of that whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

I spotted that dolphin a few times last summer. Seems to be visible at or near high tide. Easier to spot on the calm days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Ficheall wrote: »
    I saw a seal down by the Spanish arch a few weeks ago - hope that helps tongue.png

Was that dolphin not badly treated by a number of humans before it got a bit cranky? That article makes no mention of that whatsoever.

Yes the Dolphin in Doolin was badly treated when he would come in close to the pier, I was in Doolin a few years ago and kids were throwing stones at him I could not believe it thankfully the locals sorted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There was a gorgeous video of the dolphin on fb during the week. For anyone who didn't see it, it's here.

https://www.facebook.com/Sleepzone/videos/1416877821705096/?pnref=story

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

biko wrote:
    I have heard of sightings but never saw one myself.

Finding Nimmo?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Yes that dolphin has been down off Nimmos pier for a few years now. It tends to hang out for a few weeks or months when it comes. We've been down many times to spot it and submitted photos to the Irish Whale and Dolphin Group.

It's much more active when there's Salmon passing through the mouth of the river - sometimes flipping them up in the air. It also tends to disappear for a while or move further out when there are boats coming in or out.
    No, different dolphin.

Also Dusty wasn't "terrorising Doolin". It only acted up when people were jumping on it and gave several warnings that it was annoyed but those in the water weren't attentive or familiar enough with it to back off. People see photos/videos of others interacting with a happy Dusty and jump in off the pier and chase it to do the same... what they don't realise is those people built up that relationship with the dolphin over years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Advertisement