Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Appealing because I didn't turn up at court

• 04-05-2017 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

I got a higher than usual sentence at the district court for a certain traffic offence (I'm fully in the wrong), presumably as i didnt turn up to court.
    I didnt turn up to court as i had changed address (can prove) and just got my mail now. The registered letter they sent to me was returned back to them as i didnt collect.

Would it be worth using the district court's appeal process just to post an apology to the judge with proof as to why I didnt show up?
    I dont mind the driving ban as I dont drive anymore, was just thinking the regular sentence for this offence would look better on my record.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

stainluss wrote: »
    I got a higher than usual sentence at the district court for a certain traffic offence (I'm fully in the wrong), presumably as i didnt turn up to court.
    I didnt turn up to court as i had changed address (can prove) and just got my mail now. The registered letter they sent to me was returned back to them as i didnt collect.

Would it be worth using the district court's appeal process just to post an apology to the judge with proof as to why I didnt show up?
    I dont mind the driving ban as I dont drive anymore, was just thinking the regular sentence for this offence would look better on my record.

No legal advice is allowed however as a tax paying citizen (I presume) you are fully entitled to invoke the appeals process if you wish. A judge will hear you case and will decide if you story is worth reducing what was ordered previously based on your evidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭stainluss

No legal advice is allowed however as a tax paying citizen (I presume) you are fully entitled to invoke the appeals process if you wish. A judge will hear you case and will decide if you story is worth reducing what was ordered previously based on your evidence

Thanks for your response.

Is the standard appeals done through the circuit court or is it typically the same DC judge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It is possible to set aside a conviction in the District Court if there was no notice of the hearing. There is no need to appeal to the Circuit Court if that option is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

4ensic15 wrote: »
    It is possible to set aside a conviction in the District Court if there was no notice of the hearing. There is no need to appeal to the Circuit Court if that option is available.

Wouldn't that require a trip to the High Court? Can't see how you could 'set aside' a conviction in the absence of a successful appeal to the CC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

coylemj wrote: »
    Wouldn't that require a trip to the High Court? Can't see how you could 'set aside' a conviction in the absence of a successful appeal to the CC.

No, you apply to the District Court, see S22 (6)(a) of the Courts Act 1991.

Circuit judge, de novo.

In the case of an application under S22 (6)(a) it is possible that the judge will have the case held again in the District Court if he/she is unwilling to grant or refuse the application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

coylemj wrote: »

I suspect that he means that the judgment could be vacated.

Advertisement