Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless Charity Suggestion

Options
  • 04-05-2017 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all

Long time reader - first (well really second) time poster. I'm not sure if this is the right topic to post in but hopefully it is.

Last September I was given notice where I was living, the LL said that they were going to be using the apartment as primary residence. While we suspected at the time it was not true, we didn't challenge them as we figured it would only delay the inevitable for us. Our suspicions were verified a week after we moved out when we say the apartment on daft for €300 per month than we were paying. Thanks to my quick thinking other half we screen shot the listing immediately as it was gone the next day.

We submitted a dispute with the RTB for illegal eviction of the premises based on the screen shots and there was an adjudication in February. We received the determination order last week and it was found that the LL had to pay us damages which we received today. The whole experience resonated with me was how easily it was all done on the LL's part and how easy families and people could find themselves homeless. Luckily I had a great support network and I have a reasonably good job so I didn't find myself in that situation, but it just made me realise how easily it could happen. And so because of this, I would like make a donation from the money I received to a homeless charity.

I am just not sure which one so looking to see if anyone has any suggestions? It's not a huge amount by any means at all, I just want to make sure it goes to a good one, preferably a smaller charity that doesn't have the resources as some of the bigger ones for fundraising.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

There's a man from Ballyfermot who feeds the homeless a number of nights a week outside the Dunnes on Grafton St. He has been an amazing campaigner and would gladly take the few bib and it will go to buying goods that will be used directly and won't line anybody's pocket

Also what an amazing thing to do. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Inner city helping homeless they are entirely dependent on donations, they get no state funding

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Fair play. No help at all but wanted to say you're doing a very thoughtful thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I cant think of anywhere - so this is probably a pointless post but i wanted to say well done on being really thoughtful and insightful people. We need more like you.

Would you buy food and bring it somewhere? maybe that would make sure it was used for practical purposes. Regardless im sure you will make a good decision.

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Matt.ie

God bless you. What a lovely gesture.
    Exactly 12 months ago yesterday I entered a homeless shelter where I stayed for 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

There's a lady who feeds homeless guys on Monday nights. Charity is called "A Lending Hand , Monday nights", have a look at their facebook page. You can make sandwiches, pasta or whatever you like and bring it over there or you can donate cash. I did a small bit few times in the past couple of months and I have no hesitation recommending her. You can go there next Monday if you like to see it yourself 1st...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Lovely gesture but not appropriate for this forum I'm afraid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement