Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a steer on MS Office

• 04-05-2017 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I run my business from a laptop that needs to be replaced. At the moment I have all my documents on a Dropbox Plus 1TB account, I use Google Suite for hosting my email accounts etc. and I have an old copy of MS Office Home and Business 2010 on my laptop and use Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and OneNote pretty much every single day.

What I'd like a steer on is whether I should just be buying a single MS Office Home and Business 2016 (€279 from here) or should I plumb for the Office 365 Business Premium plan for €126 a year which I think (if I'm reading it correctly) would allow me to drop both my Dropbox and Google subscriptions which IIRC cost me about €240 a year or so? Am I reading it correctly?

Would transferring my email accounts (I operate 4 business accounts) and all my docs and content from Dropbox to OneDrive by a very painful or relatively seamless process?

I'm loath to do anything which could mess up my email or documents but at the same time I don't want to be paying more than I should and/or not be taking advantage of a better offer and potentially better service just because I have a bit of an irrational fear of moving, particularly when the service provider is Microsoft!!

Appreciate any and all feedback.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Hi all,

I run my business from a laptop that needs to be replaced. At the moment I have all my documents on a Dropbox Plus 1TB account, I use Google Suite for hosting my email accounts etc. and I have an old copy of MS Office Home and Business 2010 on my laptop and use Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and OneNote pretty much every single day.

What I'd like a steer on is whether I should just be buying a single MS Office Home and Business 2016 (€279 from here) or should I plumb for the Office 365 Business Premium plan for €126 a year which I think (if I'm reading it correctly) would allow me to drop both my Dropbox and Google subscriptions which IIRC cost me about €240 a year or so? Am I reading it correctly?

Would transferring my email accounts (I operate 4 business accounts) and all my docs and content from Dropbox to OneDrive by a very painful or relatively seamless process?

I'm loath to do anything which could mess up my email or documents but at the same time I don't want to be paying more than I should and/or not be taking advantage of a better offer and potentially better service just because I have a bit of an irrational fear of moving, particularly when the service provider is Microsoft!!

Appreciate any and all feedback.

I don't use their business offering, but I've recommended their Office home subscription (the one with support for five accounts, 1TB each) since it came out. It's been rock solid, and very easy to manage. Moving everything from Dropbox to Onedrive should be relatively easy, sync everything from Dropbox to the laptop, then set up Onedrive to include that folder.

The only part I don't have experience with is the hosted email.

Advertisement