Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Killarney - best route?

Options
  • 04-05-2017 7:48pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Leaving from south Dublin heading to Killarney. Am I better going the M7 or M8? Will be travelling on a Sunday morning. From what I remember last time I did it, the Limerick route had more traffic and less dual lanes. Does it make much of a difference? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Limerick is the best way.

3 to 3.5 hours depending on traffic . Don't speed between Adare and Newcastle there is nearly always a speed van round there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks that's really helpdful. Very good know know about Adare and Newcastle, last thing I want is more points!
    Anywhere else I need to be extra careful?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

I'm from Killarney but OH is in Dublin so up and down regularly for the moment. M7 without doubt the best option. Did the M8 once. Never again, roads are much worse between Killarney and Mitchelstown than they are between Killarney and Adare imho. Also the M8 felt like a longer trip overall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

Be careful too coming in to Abbeyfeale from Newcastlewest when you hit the 60k limit sign, it changes to 50k quickly and very often a van just after the 50 sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I'm doing a similar trip twice or 3 times a month, and over the years I've found the best route by far is straight down to Cork, through the J L tunnel and the N22 straight out to Killarney. I hate the Limerick route with a passion.

• Advertisement

I'm doing a similar trip twice or 3 times a month, and over the years I've found the best route by far is straight down to Cork, through the J L tunnel and the N22 straight out to Killarney. I hate the Limerick route with a passion.

Surely adding a lot of miles to your journey there?

Always use the Mallow Mitchelstown route myself. Have tried the others, around Cork City and via Limerick, and just find the Mallow Mitchelstown faster in general.

By the way, if you're going to try the Limerick route, it can also be done via Charleville and Croom. Slightly slower, but avoids the bottlenecks at Adare and Abbeyfeale...though Sunday morning should be okay.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Surely adding a lot of miles to your journey there?

A few extra miles but a waaaay better road, less time and safer. That mitchelstown Mallow route is soul destroying, 70 miles of pure hardship.

A few extra miles but a waaaay better road, less time and safer. That mitchelstown Mallow route is soul destroying, 70 miles of pure hardship.

Mitchelstown Mallow?

It's about 30/35km. Though it can be annoying alright if you get stuck behind a tractor or truck, few places to overtake. But even at that, still find it faster than going around by Cork, by about 20 minutes, less during the summer time when farmers are out and about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Mitchelstown Mallow?

It's about 30/35km. Though it can be annoying alright if you get stuck behind a tractor or truck, few places to overtake. But even at that, still find it faster than going around by Cork, by about 20 minutes, less during the summer time when farmers are out and about.

I suppose that means Mitchelstown-Mallow-Killarney. It's a horrible drive. I share the hatred!

• Advertisement

I said the mitchelstown mallow route, not mitchelstown to mallow. It's 70 miles or so to killarney from mitchelstown, horrible twisty narrow roads with a lot of commercial traffic. In comparison the n22 is in the majority far wider, more straight and safer with far better vision and quicker flowing traffic. I don't see much difference in journey times but find the n22 route far less stressful.

Drove up yesterday through Adare. Drove home today through Mitchelstown/Mallow. It'll be Adare for me from now on. Less twists and turns between Killarney and Adare which meant traffic was at a more steady pace, also more places to over take on wide stretches. Felt like less time getting to Adare too than it did getting from Mitchelstown.

I grew up driving around South Kerry so regard the road from Killarney to Mallow as like a motorway! Certainly narrow and twisty doesn't phase or stress me, and find there are enough overtaking places...except on the Mallow-Killdorrery stage. On the other hand, I hate driving in cities, all that getting in the right lane etc., so appreciate it's all about the environment.

Advertisement