Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it safe to give out your sort code and account number?

• 04-05-2017 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

So I'm selling something online and I'm new to this bank stuff and I'm confused about what details i should and shouldn't give out to someone. Bank name, My name, Sort code and account number is normal for someone to transfer money into your account right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

IBAN is all you need I think

• Registered Users Posts: 36 DylMan99

milehip wrote: »

Ok, now I'm really confused. I was told i shouldn't give my IBAN number?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Who told you that? I'd consult your local branch just to be sure.

milehip wrote: »
    Who told you that? I'd consult your local branch just to be sure.

Well, I'm selling an item online and, he said he needs the bank details to lodge the money into the bank early tomorrow so i can't really wait until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

DylMan99 wrote: »
    Well, I'm selling an item online and, he said he needs the bank details to lodge the money into the bank early tomorrow so i can't really wait until then.

It's grand. If you give bank account number and sort code you can work out IBAN.

I always give out my IBAN without issue. Previously every cheque had your bank details on it.

• Advertisement

It's grand. If you give bank account number and sort code you can work out IBAN.

I always give out my IBAN without issue. Previously every cheque had your bank details on it.

So it's safe to give him my National sort code, account number, Bank account name and which bank I'm with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

So it's safe to give him my National sort code, account number, Bank account name and which bank I'm with?

Yes, I wouldn't have any issue with that.

Yes, I wouldn't have any issue with that.

Ok, thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Sort code and account number make up the IBAN.

As long as you're sure it's a legitimate buyer then you're safe enough....

368100 wrote: »

I'm not 100% sure but I'm kind of taking a chance with it. I'm selling an item on adverts. He has 11 positive feedback and no negative feedback, So I'm hoping there's no sketchy business going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

milehip wrote:

Iban is your account number and sort code

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Iban is your account number and sort code

I gave him my national sort code and account number from a my bank statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

368100 wrote: »

I'm not 100% sure but I'm kind of taking a chance with it. I'm selling an item on adverts. He has 11 positive feedback and no negative feedback, So I'm hoping there's no sketchy business going on

There's not a lot they can do with the details as obviously the bank will have security measures in place should they try and impersonate you..

Technically they could be unscrupulous and take money by direct debit but again there's screening at the banks end to be able to do that and even if it did happen you'd get the money back without question for up to 8 weeks afterwards.

This is the way that things are going to go...electronic payments ...though ideally you could use the likes of PayPal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I gave him my national sort code and account number from a my bank statement.

You can convert the sort code and account number to an IBAN and back again. As another poster has pointed out, those details are on the bottom of each cheque and it never caused anyone any problems that I am aware of.

Having those details allows anyone to transfer money into your account, it's a whole different deal to get money out so I wouldn't have any issue giving my account details to someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Just give him your name and IBAN.

Sort code, account number and bank name is just old style account numbering.
    IBAN is more compact and gives exact same info, and has security built into it (check sum) in case you or other person makes a mistake in any of the numbers).

F.e. when you give them account number and he will read number 1 instead of 7, money might get transferred to someone else's account.
    If you give him IBAN, there's no chance of money going to someone else's account.

Advertisement