Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rapeseed in field

• 04-05-2017 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I have a field that horses will be going into for grazing. The field has rapeseed plants(nearly certain that's what it is) in it. Is rapeseed poisonous to horses. It's definitely not ragwort anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

I have checked a bit everywhere including on the French websites (I'm French): yes, they seem to be toxic, flowers and especially cakes. The best thing would be to pull them out. I read they could give these symptoms: dark pee, dry cough, excessive salivation.
    On the positive side, if it was as deadly as ragworts there would probably more information available.
    Good luck with the pulling..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

You could give your vet/vet clinic a call and double check. They'd be best placed to advise you.

On an unqualified point of view: I've not personally heard of any issues and have seen fields containing rapeseed (granted, not a lot of rapeseed) with horses in it. But if you have any doubts or worries, I think vet would be best placed to advise you.

And, as mentioned above, pulling it would probably be best in the long run as you won't be able to spray when stock are in the field/will be in it shortly.

Advertisement