Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is it a good time to go fishing for mackerel?

Options
  • 05-05-2017 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I haven't gone fishing in a really long time, but the last time i did was like 6 years ago were i caught like 100 mackerel in like an hour. Would like to go back out and try fishing only problem is that i don't know when a good time to go is. i live in Balbriggan, Co. Dublin btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭PopSensyDad

Hi SimonS1237,

I also fishing around Dublin.

Summer is the best time for mackerel. There is a very good chance since July until around November. (If you wouldn't mind about a slim chance, even in May/December.) We cannot wait a shoal, can we lol

I don't know well about boat angling, but their season is longer than the shore one I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

And an hour before high tide to an hour after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Late July till they come in any real size and numbers.

I believe the early season mackerel don't taste great either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

I live on the east coast too and I can't remember catching any mackerel at all from shore for the past three years.
    My theory is that offshore factory fishing has decimated the shoals to a point where its hardly worth bothering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Late July till they come in any real size and numbers.

I believe the early season mackerel don't taste great either

July I believe is the best time for Mackerel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Last year Clogherhead gave good numbers..if you are in Balbriggan.... well buy yourself a state licence and go for sea trout inMornington.... started in april.... or skeries for mackerel in august or so....

Just thinking...is it tooo early for mackerel? Can uou catch anything else on feathers? In this time of year lets say from harbour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Bikerguy wrote: »
    Last year Clogherhead gave good numbers..if you are in Balbriggan.... well buy yourself a state licence and go for sea trout inMornington.... started in april.... or skeries for mackerel in august or so....

Just thinking...is it tooo early for mackerel? Can uou catch anything else on feathers? In this time of year lets say from harbour

You'll always pick up some Pollock on feathers from a harbour pier.

You'll always pick up some Pollock on feathers from a harbour pier.

Will give it a go tomorrow at sunrise 5am.... will report back. Thanks chief

Nothing....muddy water and windy.... so no point...as all i have are feathers.

Advertisement