Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has KFC Waterford banned unaccompanied under 18's

Options
  • 05-05-2017 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭

As the title says ! Does anyone know if this is true.
    Was just informed by my teenage son that KFC Waterford have banned unaccompanied under 18's ,normally him and a few mates head there for his birthday ,which is today, he shared this info when I asked if he was heading there as normal today.
    That's so wrong if its true , I'm guessing the behaviour of a few has led to this but talk about painting everyone with the same brush.
    IF ITS TRUE They have lost my business both personally and with any of the youth groups I am involved with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Maybe you could give them a call and find out?
    (051) 860 064

There is a couple articles from last year of some McDonalds and KFC in the UK banning unaccompanied under 18 year olds due to antisocial behaviour and violence in some stores.

I think it would be a pretty major impact on their business if they introduced this as a blanket policy on all their stores regardless of location and history of each store. Hence I would be skeptical unless heard from the horses mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Maybe you could give them a call and find out?
    (051) 860 064

There is a couple articles from last year of some McDonalds and KFC in the UK banning unaccompanied under 18 year olds due to antisocial behaviour and violence in some stores.

I think it would be a pretty major impact on their business if they introduced this as a blanket policy on all their stores regardless of location and history of each store. Hence I would be skeptical unless heard from the horses mouth.

They might actually increase business, considering how some young people behave these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Should just ban teenagers in general and be done with it. Horrid creatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Unfortunately as some teen cause disruption, the only way to contain the issue is to have an age policy as refusing for any other reason can lead to defamation issues. Hence due to some antisocial teens, places must ban all unaccompanied people under 18.

Not really the establishment's fault as doing it any other way and allowing one group in and not another is not possible.

So of this is the policy in KFC, blame the unruly yobs or blame the law, but as its the only option, you can't really blame the establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

CeilingFly wrote: »
    So of this is the policy in KFC, blame the unruly yobs or blame the law, but as its the only option, you can't really blame the establishment.

Indeed, I doubt they are turning away customers just for the hell of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    As the title says ! Does anyone know if this is true.
    Was just informed by my teenage son that KFC Waterford have banned unaccompanied under 18's ,normally him and a few mates head there for his birthday ,which is today, he shared this info when I asked if he was heading there as normal today.
    That's so wrong if its true , I'm guessing the behaviour of a few has led to this but talk about painting everyone with the same brush.
    IF ITS TRUE They have lost my business both personally and with any of the youth groups I am involved with.

Walking into a lot of Fast food places is like walking into a Wild West saloon

You have 10 teens sitting there while 1 drinks a coke.

If all the kids were ordering food I don't think the establishments would have a issue.

Ignorance is bliss when you represent youth groups.
    They have lost my business both personally and with any of the youth groups I am involved with.

I think you will be doing the establishment a favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    They might actually increase business, considering how some young people behave these days.

I dont think behavour has changed that much from when I was young.

We just did it out of sight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I dont think behavour has changed that much from when I was young.

We just did it out of sight :D

Agree,I do think kids a lil bit more cocky these days....I'm sure they were saying that about my generation too..anyway,I pass there regularly and I hardly ever see teenagers hanging around there.sounds like BS, some kids probably got thrown out and barred and then thought they would start a misguided protest/complaint/whine on facebook.I'm sure any business will welcome any kid with money, who eats some food and heads off shortly after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Max Powers wrote: »
    Agree,I do think kids a lil bit more cocky these days....I'm sure they were saying that about my generation too..anyway,I pass there regularly and I hardly ever see teenagers hanging around there.sounds like BS, some kids probably got thrown out and barred and then thought they would start a misguided protest/complaint/whine on facebook.I'm sure any business will welcome any kid with money, who eats some food and heads off shortly after.

It's true to a certain extent, my daughter said that herself and some friends were asked to confirm they were over 16 (they're 15) when in KFC last week and when they couldn't they were told they couldn't be served.

Strange one but I have a general dislike for all these groups of teenagers hanging around doing nothing whenever the schools are off or there's a decent bit of weather. They seem to have money for all the horrible haircuts and brand new runners they all seem to have, why can't they do something useful with the money instead of sitting around sharing one soft drink. I'm only half joking btw. It's an old saying, but it's true; 'an idle mind is the devils playground'.

To be fair to teenagers their idle time is a problem not of their own making. Minimum wage and EU immigration has all but closed off the traditional teenager jobs. I can remember working plenty of jobs as a teen for maybe £2.50/£3 an hour and being happy out with it. Was easy to get evening/weekend work too. Its not the same world and we'll be all the poorer for it in a short period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

There should be something done about them to be honest. Or more social/youth events organised for them. If you go into town on Saturday about 6pm, you'll see loads of them congregating together.They usual loiter around McDonalds or Supermacs. Not pretending I didn't do it when I was younger, but god young people today are a lot more disrespectful it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sosurface wrote: »
    To be fair to teenagers their idle time is a problem not of their own making. Minimum wage and EU immigration has all but closed off the traditional teenager jobs. I can remember working plenty of jobs as a teen for maybe £2.50/£3 an hour and being happy out with it. Was easy to get evening/weekend work too. Its not the same world and we'll be all the poorer for it in a short period of time.

i wonder has neoliberalism and neoclassical theory got anything to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I find employing a teenager in many roles is alot more to do with health and safety now and of course insurance not immigration or the EU. Back in my day (now i feel old :D) teenagers could get summer jobs working on small construction sites by labouring, sparks, carpentry etc but now that practice is well and truly gone. There are plenty of Irish teenagers in what you call traditional jobs and also many who just couldnt be arsed working for their money as mammy and daddy give them money for doing f all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Or maybe we're all getting old and looking back on our teenage years through rose tinted glasses.
    Yes there are cnuts but I find the majority of kids are decent and just hang around grabbing the free wifi and having the craic.

alta stare wrote: »
    I find employing a teenager in many roles is alot more to do with health and safety now and of course insurance not immigration or the EU. Back in my day (now i feel old :D) teenagers could get summer jobs working on small construction sites by labouring, sparks, carpentry etc but now that practice is well and truly gone. There are plenty of Irish teenagers in what you call traditional jobs and also many who just couldnt be arsed working for their money as mammy and daddy give them money for doing f all.
    If your honest though its because why bother employing someone inexperienced, with a questionable attitude for the same hourly rate and insurance costs as an experienced adult now that Paddy and Pavel will happily compete for the wage?

For say €5 an hour is the trade off more worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

If your honest though its because why bother employing someone inexperienced, with a questionable attitude for the same hourly rate and insurance costs as an experienced adult now that Paddy and Pavel will happily compete for the wage?

For say €5 an hour is the trade off more worth it?

Well there are plenty of adults working away who would be hauled off a construction site if they did not have the correct documentation so i dont agree it is all about foreigners or money. I know from having to work on sites, in factories, many commercial buildings that health and safety certs are a big factor in preventing just any joe soap working there not much less teenagers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

What's this KFCs attitude like to the over 18s that frequent the place late on a Friday/Saturday or Sunday night?

I'll hazard a guess and say they probably turn a blind eye to all the usual antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

threads where teenagers are destroyed for being badly behaved will never fail to make me laugh, what were you doing when you were young? annoying older people. its your turn to be annoyed, suck it up :)

threads where teenagers are destroyed for being badly behaved will never fail to make me laugh, what were you doing when you were young? annoying older people. its your turn to be annoyed, suck it up :)

Down off the high house there buddy, hardly any slagging off teenagers here, as far as I can see, mostly about KFC, job prospects, etc.numerous comments that we probably similar in our younger days.

Walking into a lot of Fast food places is like walking into a Wild West saloon

You have 10 teens sitting there while 1 drinks a coke.

If all the kids were ordering food I don't think the establishments would have a issue.

Ignorance is bliss when you represent youth groups.

I think you will be doing the establishment a favour.

I remember a well known pub barring students (WRTC) for exactly that sort of thing.

• Advertisement

Passed kfc tonight, no teenagers, just a manager with a cricket bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I worked in Ginos years back and we had the same issue with teenagers asking for a table for 10 and ordering a small cheese pizza and jugs of water, with the intention of staying as long as possible.

I guess the issue just repeats itself, Kids want somewhere to hang out with their friends not under their parents eye, but they dont have money and can get rowdy in larger groups.

I worked in Ginos years back and we have the same issue with teenagers asking for a table for 10 and ordering a small cheese pizza and jugs of water, with the intention of staying as long as possible.

I guess the issue just repeats itself, Kids want somewhere to hang out with their friends not under their parents eye, but they dont have money and can get rowdy in larger groups.
    Is squashy couch still open in town? Just querying, I'm not sure. Definitely theres sone kind of set up in the Manor St John building opposite Masons.

Imo we should be looking at seriously funding youth cafes/centres in and around all suburban areas. Heavily subsidise food and beverages like maybe a quid for coffee, no food items more than €4/€5 prob even less. Open till at least 11 and include various workshops/activities that could also be subsidised or voluntarily provided.

Yes it'll cost money. Yes it'll ultimately come from our pocket but if it kills what can be mind numbing boredom of being a young adult in Ireland and stops even a percentage from becoming the type of feral monsters littering the court pages with a shopping list of offences, it would be money well spent.

Is squashy couch still open in town? Just querying, I'm not sure. Definitely theres sone kind of set up in the Manor St John building opposite Masons.

Imo we should be looking at seriously funding youth cafes/centres in and around all suburban areas. Heavily subsidise food and beverages like maybe a quid for coffee, no food items more than €4/€5 prob even less. Open till at least 11 and include various workshops/activities that could also be subsidised or voluntarily provided.

Yes it'll cost money. Yes it'll ultimately come from our pocket but if it kills what can be mind numbing boredom of being a young adult in Ireland and stops even a percentage from becoming the type of feral monsters littering the court pages with a shopping list of offences, it would be money well spent.

Think its down on the Mall...33,34,35...one of those I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Wateford KFC playing Sligo Rovers next week. Should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I agree with you.
    Isn't there some sort of youth club something or other opposite the hypermarket on the Heatons side? I don't have children myself so I don't know much about it, I just know I've passed it and it's called something "youth" something or other:confused:

erica74 wrote: »
    I agree with you.
    Isn't there some sort of youth club something or other opposite the hypermarket on the Heatons side? I don't have children myself so I don't know much about it, I just know I've passed it and it's called something "youth" something or other:confused:

Is this the one?

http://www.childrensgrouplink.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Max Powers wrote: »
    Passed kfc tonight, no teenagers, just a manager with a cricket bat.

and that's why Waterford play second fiddle to Kilkenny in Hurling - The manager and all the staff in the Kilkenny branch use hurleys. :D

Advertisement