Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company website

• 05-05-2017 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got to setup a website for my contracting company. I've looked into domain names and have narrowed it down to a few I think are acceptable.

My main concern is to design a home page (all I currently require) which looks professional. I'm keen to at least try this myself first before calling in an expert.

Are there any recommended WYSIWYG's for creating websites that are recommended? I know my colour palette from my company logo and the text.

From a quick search wix.com and weebly.com seem to rate highly. I presume one of these are the best to go for and will ensure compliance across all browsers?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Hi,

I've got to setup a website for my contracting company. I've looked into domain names and have narrowed it down to a few I think are acceptable.

My main concern is to design a home page (all I currently require) which looks professional. I'm keen to at least try this myself first before calling in an expert.

Are there any recommended WYSIWYG's for creating websites that are recommended? I know my colour palette from my company logo and the text.

From a quick search wix.com and weebly.com seem to rate highly. I presume one of these are the best to go for and will ensure compliance across all browsers?

Thanks.

Whichever way you decide to go, make sure you can get a custom URL in order to look professional. Many of those sites offer only businessname.weebly.com for example, at least on the free service. I'm a big fan of Wordpress but it's potentially more complex than you need right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Yip - I've got my eye on a <company_name_acronym>.ltd website.

Unfortunately I made a hash of naming the company to which I gave a bland <Surname> <Service Provided> structure which gave me little scope for a url. The full company name would be over 25 characters so I'm trying to figure out an acronym based on it as I think 25 chars is too long.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I could rename the company, but due to the way I work as a contractor the company name etc is not a critical part of my setup, so I'll be keeping it.

I was only going to use them for creating the website and get the domain name from another source.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Go for the .com or .ie if you can get it. A 25+ character .com/.ie is infinitely preferable to a top level domain that 99.999999999% of the population have never heard of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Okay - I didn't realise that about the preference of the .com domains.

I was looking at something like www.jmcvs.ltd instead of www.jimmymurphycarvaletingservices.com *

* Made up names for used as example

If I register the domain on one of those websites I presume that I can upload my own website to it for a small monthly fee? Initially this will be only a landing page.

I'm also looking to create a company email using the same domain - would the longer name not increase the risk of incorrect entering of email address and 'lost' emails? I could end up with something like jimmy.murphy@jimmymurphycarvaletingservices.com. Is this still preferential to jimmy.murphy@jmcvs.ltd

Thanks for all the replies - useful hints and information :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Nobody will recognise a .ltd domain. Everybody will assume you meant something else or that you were mistaken. I would expect a good chunk of your email to end up being sent to the .com anyway.

To use your example, something like this:

jimmymurphycarvaleting.com or jmcarvaleting.com would be a sensible compromise that would likely find an available domain name.

If you want email to your own domain, understand that wix/weebly/squarespace don't offer it. You will need to pay for an additional service from gmail/outlook etc.

Alternatively, get a shared hosting account from a local ISP (which usually includes web space AND email) and upload a simple html website/page. Given your technical ability you would have no problem customising an html template from themeforest to get a reasonable looking web presence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Unfortunately I made a hash of naming the company to which I gave a bland <Surname> <Service Provided> structure which gave me little scope for a url. The full company name would be over 25 characters so I'm trying to figure out an acronym based on it as I think 25 chars is too long.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I could rename the company, but due to the way I work as a contractor the company name etc is not a critical part of my setup, so I'll be keeping it.
    The company name doesn't have to be the name you trade under. It could be completely different. For €20 you can register a business name with the CRO and you would be MyBigLongCompanyName Ltd, trading as XYZ (or whatever).

Most .ie registrars will be flexible too if you request a name that isn't your ltd name, but you can show a link. And really, if you're trading in Ireland a .ie is what you need.

Advertisement