Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting - giving notice to the landlord

Options
  • 05-05-2017 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

We have been renting in the same apartment for about 7 years in the same apartment.

We are buying our own place which looks very realistically like it will be ready in the next 4-6 weeks (new build, just waiting on snaglist to be resolved).

I need to figure out how much notice we have to give our landlord.
    We haven't signed a lease in 6 years, its just been a rolling monthly contract, but we are there 7 years, and threshold says that the notice period is 84 days.

Questions:
    - with no signed lease, is 84 days still our notice period?
    - we want to minimize risk of being between accommodation, how does this usually work when needing to hand in notice but waiting on finalization of house purchase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    We have been renting in the same apartment for about 7 years in the same apartment.

Questions:
    - with no signed lease, is 84 days still our notice period?
    - we want to minimize risk of being between accommodation, how does this usually work when needing to hand in notice but waiting on finalization of house purchase?

Yep. 84 days notice. You are on Part IV tenancy. Having no new lease in the last few years makes no difference.

In reality, you just need to have a chat with your landlord. Make sure you follow procedure to give notice, but then have a friendly chat and explain the situation. Many landlords are decent people who understand your situation. They will need some time to plan to do any refurbishment or redecorating, and also advertise for new tenants.

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Your notice period is based on the length of your tenancy, not your lease (or lack of). 84 days sounds about right for more than 7 years but less than 8.

To minimise risk your best bet is to negotiate with the landlord. Not always easy if you don't want to pay for a while after you've left and naturally the landlord will want to minimise his empty-period.

Maybe give your notice, explain the situation to your landlord and suggest that in the last 2 or 3 weeks (when you have a more certain completion date) that you will do everything you can do accommodate viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Thanks for the quick responses.

Landlord has been very good to us over the years so if i had to, we will take the hit of an extra month or so rent, but they are reasonable, and the property is in demand so i cant see any issues with it being filled immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick responses.

Landlord has been very good to us over the years so if i had to, we will take the hit of an extra month or so rent, but they are reasonable, and the property is in demand so i cant see any issues with it being filled immediately.

I would echo what has been said above. As long as you give them as much notice as possible, a month would be fine with me. Especially if your open to them doing work and advertising while your in the property. As long as there is a bit of give on both parties, most people just want a smooth transition.

Advertisement