Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Helmet with a Metal Cage inside, whats the thinking ?

Options
  • 05-05-2017 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭

Just got delivery of a Kask Infinity. Had looked at images before purchasing but never noticed that there ia a small metal cage inside the helmet. Have not seen this before in other cycling helmets. Anyone know what the thinking is here ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how substantial is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Assuming it's structural to support the vent cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Faraday cage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's to stop the CIA and other intelligence agencies from scanning your brain.i have no idea if it works but I'd assume that Kask have done a lot of research into it and can substantiate its necessity.

• Advertisement

Not sure what to make of it. While some may like the idea of a reinforced helmet I was more comfortable with the idea of a soft shell breaking while taking impact. I can only assume that Kask have it well thought out and have good reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's so you can make traffic lights change when on a carbon bike - simple position your head on the sensor...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

does the inifintiy have MIPS? not that is it?

mossym wrote: »
    does the inifintiy have MIPS? not that is it?

It doesn't no.

ronoc wrote: »
    Assuming it's structural to support the vent cover?

Had a closer look at it and yes the vent opening and closing slides between parallel bars in the cage. Looks like there are screws where the tension can be adjusted if it is sliding too easily or hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I guess that sometimes you may experience more than one hit during an incident - perhaps its for keeping the broken pieces of helmet together? But then nylon fabric would be as efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Not sure if metal inside is a good idea, would tend to bend on an impact and not spring back out ? If it splits , jagged edge and all that ?

secman wrote: »
    Not sure if metal inside is a good idea, would tend to bend on an impact and not spring back out ? If it splits , jagged edge and all that ?

That was the type of thing on my mind. Even though you do see metal in helmets from other sports.

Bought it for its aero characteristics though it looks quite normal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

This?

tinfoilhat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Not sure what to make of it. While some may like the idea of a reinforced helmet I was more comfortable with the idea of a soft shell breaking while taking impact. I can only assume that Kask have it well thought out and have good reason for it.
    The metal part is small, so the helmet would still crumple.
    Lets say you went over the handle bars and head first onto the 90 degree angle of a kerb. This might stop the sharp-ish angle of the kerb from making contact with your skull, by spreading the pressure point.

Advertisement