Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Send mail as" my eircom account via Gmail

Options
  • 05-05-2017 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, I'm trying to set my eircom.net email address up on my Gmail account, so that I can send and receive and basically manage my entire eircom account, through my Gmail account.

I have done this for other accounts and it works quite well, but trying to "send as" my eircom address is giving me trouble when setting it up in Gmail.

I've tried mail1.eircom.net, mail2.eircom.net and smtp.eircom.net and every other combination with my username and password I can think of but I keep getting authentication failure.

I recall there being issues before that eircom users couldn't send mail unless they were connected to an eircom broadband connection and thinking it was very backward and I'm fearing this may be reason for my issue here.

Also, is it possible to take complete ownership of my eircom address by means of DNS records or whatever email addresses use to keep the email address itself, but change where it's hosted?

If anyone has any solutions, please share!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Hi cormie,

Thanks for getting in touch and I apologise for the delay in the response.

Unfortunately, this is not something we support.

You should be able to download your eir emails to your Gmail account but you won't be able to send emails via the eir SMTP servers because access to these servers is restricted to eir IP addresses.

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]You would use Gmails SMTP servers to send emails.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]I do apologise for any inconvenience caused.[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Anna[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

eir: Anna wrote: »
    Hi cormie,

You should be able to download your eir emails to your Gmail account but you won't be able to send emails via the eir SMTP servers because access to these servers is restricted to eir IP addresses.

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]You would use Gmails SMTP servers to send emails.[/font]

Thanks for the reply, this is what I was thinking alright. I guess I'll just have to make a start on an eventual switch from my eircom address to my gmail address and send any necessary replies from my @gmail address and then change any account settings to use the gmail address instead of the eircom and phase out usage of the eircom address over the next few months/years. It's too restrictive as it is now.

Thanks anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

cormie wrote: »
    eir: Anna wrote: »
    Hi cormie,

Thanks for the reply, this is what I was thinking alright. I guess I'll just have to make a start on an eventual switch from my eircom address to my gmail address and send any necessary replies from my @gmail address and then change any account settings to use the gmail address instead of the eircom and phase out usage of the eircom address over the next few months/years. It's too restrictive as it is now.

Thanks anyway :)
    No problem at all :)

Sorry I couldn't give you better news.

Thanks,
    Anna

Advertisement