Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmower advice for novice

Options
  • 05-05-2017 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Hope you can help. Need to purchase a lawnmower, nothing too expensive but self propelled. What do I need to be looking out for in terms of spec ? Has anyone seen any reasonable deals lately?Forgot to mention it's a medium to large garden

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I bought a castle garden mower about 7 years ago and it hasn't let me down. I am a big fan of the Honda 5.5 hp engines as I have a mower and a power washer fitted with these engines and both are faultless. Give it a quick service at the start of mowing season i.e.: clean out the air filter, clean the spark plug, top up the oil and you should be good to go. I also sharpen the blades every two seasons and that's about it. You will also get a lot of conflicting advice about packing it away for the winter i.e.: drain all the fuel out etc etc but to be honest I leave about a 1/4 of a tank of petrol in it then when I go to start it for the first time I fill it to the neck with fresh petrol give it a mix around and it always goes on the second or third pull. I will leave it running for 10 minutes or so before I start cutting and after that it will start first pull every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Thanks for that. I don't want anything too powerful either. Nothing that's going to pull me along too strongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

It certainly won't pull you along but i find the self propelled very handy as my garden is on a slope so it helps with that. Only other advice I would give is get as big a collection box as you can. On an average length cut I could empty mine 5 or 6 times

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Get a Honda Izy if you can afford it. It will last for years & is very light & easy to start

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

What size is your garden and your budget? That will help provide suggestions

• Advertisement
Advertisement