Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become an adult literacy tutor

Options
  • 05-05-2017 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi
    I am intrested in becomming an adult literacy tutor. I have a particular intrest in working with early school leavers or adults with an intellectual disability.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LTLOB

If you contact your local ETB they will be able to advise you of training that they run if you were interested in doing it in a voluntary capacity. This could be a good starting point before embarking on a college course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

LTLOB wrote: »
    If you contact your local ETB they will be able to advise you of training that they run if you were interested in doing it in a voluntary capacity. This could be a good starting point before embarking on a college course.

Yes before qualifying as a teacher, I trained as an adult literacy tutor with my local ETB. It's very worthwhile and the training was very good as well. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Yes before qualifying as a teacher, I trained as an adult literacy tutor with my local ETB. It's very worthwhile and the training was very good as well. Best of luck.

What is an ETB, please? I want to look into this. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Education and Training Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 carrighead

Hi pmrc,

I haven't done this course but it is one of the routes into teaching adult literacy https://www.wit.ie/courses/school/education/parttime/bachelor_of_arts_in_adult_education

you can also volunteer at your local ETB, who run volunteer courses. This course, in Cork anyway, is a level 7 minor award and is 1 module of the above course that I linked to.

Best of luck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Tom Dunne wrote:
    Education and Training Boards.

They used to be known as VECs. They provide most Adult education, including basic literacy and numeracy.

carrighead wrote: »
    Hi pmrc,

I haven't done this course but it is one of the routes into teaching adult literacy https://www.wit.ie/courses/school/education/parttime/bachelor_of_arts_in_adult_education

you can also volunteer at your local ETB, who run volunteer courses. This course, in Cork anyway, is a level 7 minor award and is 1 module of the above course that I linked to.

Best of luck

That's if the OP wants a formal qualification. I trained for ten weeks with my ETB before any tutoring. The training would be beneficial if op did decide to gain a qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

Hi Every one ,

I have contacted NALA and my local ETB 3 or 4 weeks ago neither has replied . Has any one other ideas?

pmrc wrote: »
    Hi Every one ,

I have contacted NALA and my local ETB 3 or 4 weeks ago neither has replied . Has any one other ideas?

Ring them again, they are the only bodies who deal with literacy. Also check the website of your local ETB, under adult literacy there should be information on ALO (adult literacy organiser) - ring them directly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement