Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance without physical licence

Options
  • 05-05-2017 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Just passed my driving test and I am wondering if I can get insurance as a full licenced driver before getting my physical licence from the licence centre?

I want to get insured on my own car, that currently isn't insured or taxed, but I want to get the insurance as a full licence driver. Do I need to wait for the licence in the post?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you kept a copy of the learner permit and the certificate of competency, it's possible that some insurance companies would accept that in lieu of a full licence. However, the call agents you talk to on the phone tend to be confined to a fixed script and list of procedures when processing new customers and they would have zero discretion in the matter so I'd expect most of them to expect to see a full licence or in default put you down as a learner.

Advertisement