Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor in Swords for mortgage top up

Options
  • 05-05-2017 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

I recently got approval from our Mortgage company for a top up for home improvements. Just looking at the requirements for accepting this offer it states that a valuation is required and that we need to supply contact details for our solicitor.
    I can understand the valuation requirement but didn't think a solicitor would be required.
    Can anybody recommend a solicotor in Swords that could do this for a reasobable fee.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd say they all charge in or around the same, they tend to have standard charges for stuff like that and their secretaries will usually will tell you how much over the phone. I'd phone a few and shop around that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mactheknife19

PWEI wrote: »
    I recently got approval from our Mortgage company for a top up for home improvements. Just looking at the requirements for accepting this offer it states that a valuation is required and that we need to supply contact details for our solicitor.
    I can understand the valuation requirement but didn't think a solicitor would be required.
    Can anybody recommend a solicotor in Swords that could do this for a reasobable fee.
    I've just done the same, but only required the valuation as the bank already has the deeds. Are you sure you need it. I'd double check. Mine is AIB but wouldn't think it made a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

There is a bit of work involved as the new mortgage has to be registered etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mactheknife19

plodder wrote: »
    There is a bit of work involved as the new mortgage has to be registered etc.
    Sure but I don't see what work a solicitor needs to do if you already have an existing mortgage with the bank, and all they weredoing was creating a second new one. Maybe in this instance their was not an existing one but in my case there was and the bank did everything

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Sure but I don't see what work a solicitor needs to do if you already have an existing mortgage with the bank, and all they weredoing was creating a second new one. Maybe in this instance their was not an existing one but in my case there was and the bank did everything
    It probably depends on the bank and the type of mortgage you have. But, when I did it around 10 years ago, I thought the same as you, and actually enquired from a solicitor in Swords. They were really going to almost treat it like a brand new transaction. I got another solicitor in the end, but there was still some work involved. That was prior to the crash, and maybe they have different procedures in place now. Actually, just checked and there are different procedures for mortgages since 2006. So, I don't really know what's involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Thanks for all the replies.
    I went back to the person in the bank looking after my application & asked was it really necessary to get a solicitor seeing as the Bank has the deeds of my house.
    She replied saying you need to seek solicitors advise anytime you are taking out a new facility and signing legal documents.

Anyway, I've got one now.
    Thanks for all the advise.

Advertisement