Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charges in AIB (pros and cons along with rewards scheme)

• 04-05-2017 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭

ideb wrote: »
    6. Charges

6.1 Your participation in the Cashback Service is made to you free of charge.

6.2 Payment of any money for goods or products and related charges (such as delivery) with Participating Merchants remains your sole responsibility.

They mean on the actual account itself

http://compare.consumerhelp.ie/CurrentAccountDetail.aspx?i=165
    To qualify for maintenance and transaction free banking on your personal current account you must maintain a minimum daily credit statement balance of €2,500 in the account for each fee quarter

ATM withdrawal fee: 	        €0.35
    Internet transaction:	        €0.20
    Debit card purchase fee:	€0.20

ouch!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ATM withdrawal fee: 	        €0.35
    Internet transaction:	        €0.20
    Debit card purchase fee:	€0.20

ouch!

Only apply to Debit Card/Current Account *

Doesn't apply to an AIB Credit Card.

* And the above charges don't apply if you qualify for free banking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bk wrote: »
    Only apply to Debit Card/Current Account *

Doesn't apply to an AIB Credit Card.

* And the above charges don't apply if you qualify for free banking.

Irish people are majority a debit customer IME.

who the hell keeps a daily balance of over €2,500 in the account to qualify for free banking when other banks offer free banking with better criteria.

all in all, the fees comment was a legitimate comment, I was just backing it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

who the hell keeps a daily balance of over €2,500 in the account to qualify for free banking when other banks offer free banking with better criteria.

If you can't keep at least €2500 in your account and your not a student or unemployed then you need to take a long hard look at yourself :pac: :D

davo2001 wrote: »
    If you can't keep at least €2500 in your account and your not a student or unemployed then you need to take a long hard look at yourself :pac: :D

I save it and have it in an account that I don't have a card tied to, don't have it sitting in my current account for my piece of plastic to be swiped and have my account drained by some lad sitting in his boxers in his bedroom in Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

all in all, the fees comment was a legitimate comment, I was just backing it up.

Indeed the fees listed above soon wipe out any cash back. PTSB charge a €4 flat monthly fee for their explore a/c and also offer up to €5 cash back on purchases as well as rewards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Says you, but many people, myself included, have credit cards. They are very handy financial tool and have many benefits, including security.

Or if you have a mortgage with AIB, then no need for €2,500.

Or if you are retired or are student!

No, it is not, the majority won't have charges for using this. Credit card users, OAP's, students, AIB mortgage holders or €2,500 balance folks won't have any charges for using this.

Also, spending 20 cent to get €10 back even if you have charges seems like a good deal!

No harm in pointing out that some people might have charges and that the charges might not make it worth it and I certainly wouldn't swap from a free account (EBS offer free banking to all - BA there) for this, but certainly many, if not most people can benefit from this with no charges.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Do you have to ask them to activate the free banking if your balance goes above 2,500?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Do you have to ask them to activate the free banking if your balance goes above 2,500?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Mickeroo wrote: »
    callaway92 wrote: »
    No

AIB charge fees per quarter. You have to have 2.5k in your account at all times in a specific quarter to qualify for the free banking, otherwise you get charged full fees for that quarter if it dips below 2.5k at any point AFAIK

BDJW wrote: »
    AIB charge fees per quarter. You have to have 2.5k in your account at all times in a specific quarter to qualify for the free banking, otherwise you get charged full fees for that quarter if it dips below 2.5k at any point AFAIK

True.

But just to clarify, this doesn't apply to the following people, all of whom get free accounts without needing to do the above:

- Over 65's
    - Student Accounts
    - Have an AIB mortgage and use the account to pay into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

BDJW wrote: »

Yes exactly - But he was asking if you have to notify AIB (which you don't)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

bk wrote: »
    True.

But just to clarify, this doesn't apply to the following people, all of whom get free accounts without needing to do the above:

- Over 65's
    - Student Accounts
    - Have an AIB mortgage and use the account to pay into it.

Or are a graduate. Been banking with Aib for 16 years and never paid fees ever (part from the stupid government stamp duty)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Or are a graduate. Been banking with Aib for 16 years and never paid fees ever (part from the stupid government stamp duty)

They must like you, they started with my fees about 2 years after I graduated.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

If you can't keep at least ?2500 in your account and your not a student or unemployed then you need to take a long hard look at yourself :pac: :D

If you keep over 2500 quid sitting in a bank account earning you nothing just to save yourself 40 quid a year on banking fees then you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

Even an AIB financial advisor would advise against keeping 2500 in a current account paying nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

If you keep over 2500 quid sitting in a bank account earning you nothing just to save yourself 40 quid a year on banking fees then you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

Even an AIB financial advisor would advise against keeping 2500 in a current account paying nothing.

Honest question, how much interest would you expect to earn on 2500 in 1 year and how much would you be left with after DIRT? I don't expect it would be too much over 40 euros or am I totally wrong.

You'd be surprised, given how terrible interest rates are at the moment, you make more doing exactly that!

Best instant access savings account at the moment will only give you 0.65%:
    2500 × 0.65% - 39% DIRT = €9.91

Best Fixed term savings account, 3 years (no access) 1.1%:
    2500 × 1.1% - 39% = €16.775

You would actually make more money leaving the money in you current account then saving it!

Of course you could invest it instead, in pension, stocks, etc. But it is always a good idea to keep at least that amount of money liquid and accessible.

On the other hand, if you can get a free current account (various ways from AIB, KBC, EBS, etc.) then that would be better and then stick the 2,500 in an instant access account, even though it won't make you much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Ah... actually no.
    Assuming you still want reasonable access to the cash you could only put it into a savings account and given how crap the rates currently are, you would actually be "saving" more money having it sit in your current account avoiding fees compared to any interest less DIRT it would earn.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Ah... actually no.
    Assuming you still want reasonable access to the cash you could only put it into a savings account and given how crap the rates currently are, you would actually be "saving" more money having it sit in your current account avoiding fees compared to any interest less DIRT it would earn.

I don't think having to keep a balance of 2500 to avoid fees (which are backdated if you dip under that amount in a quarter) is reasonable access to cash.

It would earn a lot more even in a credit union account or even better in an actual investment.

2500 sitting in a current account to avoid paying 40 to 50 euro a year (on average) is dead money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

2500 sitting in a current account to avoid paying 40 to 50 euro a year (on average) is dead money.

Don't use your card much do you? That's my quarterly.

What kind of returns do you expect from credit union btw? Also an actual investment comes with added risk. Having E2500 on hand is pretty much a necessity. It's not exactly a substantial amount of money but would serve you well as a rainy day fund for when thing go t!ts up.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Don't use your card much do you? That's my quarterly.

What kind of returns do you expect from credit union btw? Also an actual investment comes with added risk. Having E2500 on hand is pretty much a necessity. It's not exactly a substantial amount of money but would serve you well as a rainy day fund for when thing go t!ts up.
    yup, when I was with AIB my quarterly fees were 40-50 too.

so saving 200~ a year when I moved to KBC, have apple/android pay and also get 3.0% on regular savings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

yup, when I was with AIB my quarterly fees were 40-50 too.

so saving 200~ a year when I moved to KBC, have apple/android pay and also get 3.0% on regular savings

3%??? Before DIRT I assume?

Blacktie. wrote: »
    3%??? Before DIRT I assume?
    Yup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

If you think leaving €2500 in an unproductive account just to save €24 a year in charges is a good idea then you need to take a long hard look at your finances.

Advertisement