Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Handing in my notice (Bully Boss)

• 05-05-2017 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I was on here before saying how I was undermined a lot about my boss and how it had led me to be depressed (particularly feeling detachment from OH). I am also dealing with the depression and anxiety that this job has given me with my counselor so hopefully, I will come out the other end.

I finally got offered a job that I know I will love. I am thrilled (well... as thrilled as you can be when depressed!) and looking forward to a new challenge. Thing is, I have 10 days of leave to take. I told HR that I want to take the leave and gave in my four weeks notice (which would make it 2 weeks for me to leave) but line manager is making life difficult. He hasn't been in and/or won't respond to emails but has said he would prefer me to be paid. I told HR that I want to take the leave and he told me to get sign off from the manager. Am I legally entitled to take leave? Or is it just a gesture of good will to stay til the end? I really need a week at least off to sort my head out and am booking a hol abroad for it.

I know that this isn't a huge issue but it's causing me to be really anxious in work and feel like I'll faint. I just need to get away from this person and don't need a reference from them (his Line Manager is going to give me one).

Thanks all again - boards.ie has really helped me through this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your employer has the final say when you can take holidays. So by asking you to work to the end, they can do that, making sure of course to pay you for the unused leave days. And depending on the amount of work you have to hand over to your replacement, it could take all that time.

Obviously the best situation is where everyone agrees, so can you try to negotiate with your boss? Alternatively, can you push out the start date of your new job to give yourself a break?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

dudara wrote: »
    Your employer has the final say when you can take holidays. So by asking you to work to the end, they can do that, making sure of course to pay you for the unused leave days. And depending on the amount of work you have to hand over to your replacement, it could take all that time.

Obviously the best situation is where everyone agrees, so can you try to negotiate with your boss? Alternatively, can you push out the start date of your new job to give yourself a break?

Thanks, Dudara. I know that they have final say but I've been treated fairly poorly and just need out... I have even thought of just not going in next week and leaving it be - it's just not worth it.

I asked new employer to push out start date but they have a major event that i need to help out at so that's not an option.

I just know that the LM i have at the mo is going to make this difficult for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Just go to your GP and get sick leave for the time on stress grounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

OP-asdsd wrote: »
    Thanks, Dudara. I know that they have final say but I've been treated fairly poorly and just need out... I have even thought of just not going in next week and leaving it be - it's just not worth it.

I asked new employer to push out start date but they have a major event that i need to help out at so that's not an option.

I just know that the LM i have at the mo is going to make this difficult for me...

Even if you feel you've been treated poorly you still have a responsibility to complete your employment properly.
    They have to find someone to take your place and have said you can't take holidays so you can't take them.
    Phoning in sick after asking to take holiday time looks really bad and may well get across to your new employers unoffically- and it's very, very unprofessional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd be personally concerned that phoning in sick (which they will clearly see through) could impact you professionally. I really think you need to make your case with your boss. Show them that you've planned out the handover and prepared for it. Convince them that it can be done in 3 weeks not 4

• Advertisement

Even if you feel you've been treated poorly you still have a responsibility to complete your employment properly.
    They have to find someone to take your place and have said you can't take holidays so you can't take them.
    Phoning in sick after asking to take holiday time looks really bad and may well get across to your new employers unoffically- and it's very, very unprofessional.

Thanks for that - I don't intend on calling in sick. I never do and I wouldn't make a habit of it! I suppose I will have to grin and bare. The money might be nice.. but I need to sort my head out and I need the break as well.

You say 'very, very unprofessional' there but I suppose I do have a medical issue right now that needs resolving... I woulnd't call in sick butI'm definitely not well and I know why. I think the minute I leave I'll feel much better.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

At least there is light at the end of the tunnel OP, no matter how stressful the next few weeks are you will never have to go back to that place again once the notice period is over. Congratulations on the new job :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

You need to check your contract of employment. Unless it's specifically stated in your contract that you have to give 4 weeks notice, you're only obliged to give 2 weeks statutory notice, if your length if service is less than 5 years duration. Also, you have to agree to payment in lieu of notice, which I'm sure you won't!

I got those details from IBEC's website, have a look yourself to see where you stand.

I'd get out asap, as you'll need a break to destress and clear your head before starting your new job.

Warmest congratulations and the best of luck in your new job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Just go to your GP and get sick leave for the time on stress grounds

Often contracts include a clause that you don't get paid for sick leave once you give in your notice.

Best to leave as amicably as possible, you never know when you might need to provide work confirmation details from prior employers. but if I felt the way the OP says, I'd be taking it very handy in the remaining period.

Dont mind the dogooders. Look after yourself do whats best for you, your manager obviously doesnt give a fk about you.

• Advertisement

Dont mind the dogooders. Look after yourself do whats best for you, your manager obviously doesnt give a fk about you.

You're missing the point, we live in a small country and it's likely op is moving within the same industry in the same area, how long do you think it'll take for word to get around that when she didn't get her holidays she threw a sickie leaving her employer in the lurch?
    That's very unprofessional and won't be a great start to her new employment.

Maybe her manager doesn't like her but she should care about her professional reputation and finish her current role properly. A couple of weeks isn't the end of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

What a load of tosh.

Make sure the gps note says stress and tell hr exactly who was causing the stress on your exit interview

Dont risk your mental health for some twerp on a power trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »
    Im genuinely surprised people think it would get to your new employer - that you went sick for the end of the job?

Op asked for holidays and when they were refused contemplated phoning in sick instead as a way to take her holidays. Any employer will see through that ploy.

Posters here have suggested getting a gp note which is of course a better way to do things.

....... wrote: »
    The only way to do it is with a GP note but how would the new employer know about it one way or the other?

I think I covered this in my earlier post. You must have read it if you're asking about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

You're missing the point, we live in a small country and it's likely op is moving within the same industry in the same area, how long do you think it'll take for word to get around that when she didn't get her holidays she threw a sickie leaving her employer in the lurch? That's very unprofessional and won't be a great start to her new employment.

The country isn't that small. Unless you're working in an absolutely tiny industry no one will ever know something like this. This would fall into the idle gossip category. The new employer will take an employee based on the behavior they see before them, not on some likely tittle tattle from an old job. You must work in a very funny sector.

Anyway OP, go sick I say.

Thanks, mindhive boards.ie!!

I am going to hopefully have a chat with the line manager today about this and get a concrete answer. He is still avoiding me and was in an all day meeting... clearly one of his core staff's leaving isn't a major deal to him so I'm not sure if I should show the same respect? I am going to compromise with him and ask for 5 days off and see what he thinks. That means I'll get paid and some time to sort my head out before new job!

I will keep you up to date but I am dreading today.

Thanks everyone. We settled and sorted a date of departure. I hope my mood improves soon - I'll have to get back to counselling.

Thanks all

• Advertisement
Advertisement