Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bang for buck Gaming laptop?

Options
  • 05-05-2017 2:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Im moving to a different country soon, and wont be able to bring my auld desktop with me, so i was thinking of investing in gaming laptop,

My budget would idealy be 500 or less but id go to 700 if it was worth it,

Games id be looking to play would be rust, dota, wow ect any suggestions ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

700 budget: get 4gb nvidia graphics card & low spec i7 cpu. try and cut corners on the remaining specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You won't be getting any longevity out of a (new) laptop in your price range; best you can find is a GTX 960m, which is half as slow as the new GTX 1050.

Save up or build a portable desktop IMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

I know that i wouldnt be looking to future proof it too much but if it could play dota/wow it d do me just the convenience of a laptop as ill be travelling quite abit im not too keen on a desktop i know there better value for money and that tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Even then not sure you can find a new 960M laptop for 700 even. Between 500 and 700 is 940M/MX territory, which would be OK for those games but pretty bad for newer/more intensive releases.

Laptop gaming does not scale well, eg a 1K laptop is twice as fast as a 7-800 euro laptop, and a 7-800 euro laptop is twice as fast as a 500-650 euro laptop in terms of games.

I would recommend either buying a 2nd hand one or getting a 1K model with the GTX1050.

Even then not sure you can find a new 960M laptop for 700 even. Between 500 and 700 is 940M/MX territory, which would be OK for those games but pretty bad for newer/more intensive releases.

Laptop gaming does not scale well, eg a 1K laptop is twice as fast as a 7-800 euro laptop, and a 7-800 euro laptop is twice as fast as a 500-650 euro laptop in terms of games.

I would recommend either buying a 2nd hand one or getting a 1K model with the GTX1050.

What 1k model would u recommend ?

I never really paid much attention to laptops as ive always had a desktop so i dont know much about em,

Thanks for the replies lads

• Advertisement

Dell Inspiron 5000.
    17 inch screen. 8GB RAM 256 GB SSD (Solid State Drive) with nVidia graphics.

Going for 400 euro ? 2nd hand worth it?

Lenovo and Dell both have i5, 8Gb DDR4, SSD/HDD, GTX1050 models for 1K.

Can't say about that Inspiron. Need to know processor and graphics card model.

Lenovo and Dell both have i5, 8Gb DDR4, SSD/HDD, GTX1050 models for 1K.

Can't say about that Inspiron. Need to know processor and graphics card model.

nvidia 840m is the card, i5

Worth 400 yay/nay?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Nay IMO
    840m is half as slow as a desktop 750ti

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Spot on here.

I did my own research for a while and if you want a decent gaming laptop, that is really decent and not just horrible laptop, you need to go in the new 1k gaming laptop market, that really exploded with release of 1050 and 1050ti.
    These new laptops really pushed a mark high and making any older laptops look very bad. 1050 and 1050ti mobile versions are pretty much same thing you get in desktop. Loads of performance, specially when you consider its in laptop!
    Right now most polurar ones are for 1k:

DELL inspirion 7000 - very good spec laptop, but horrible screen. Poor viewing angles, even for tn panel.
    Lenova has its own version, cant remember its name now though.
    Hp omen - which was my favourite pick and had pretty good reviews.
    Acer aspire.

They all have very similar specs. i5 7300hq, 8-16gb ram, 128ssd + 1tb hdd and 1050 or 1050ti.

• Advertisement

Cupatae wrote: »
    nvidia 840m is the card, i5

Worth 400 yay/nay?

Worth 400? Probably yes considering it comes with a 256GB SSD. Any good for gaming, though? Not for the latest games - though it would play LOL and WOW pretty well, Rust passably.

If those are the only games you're looking to play it would get by OK but newer stuff like Battlefield 1, Battlefront, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, etc are unplayable really on a 840M even at lowest settings from experience.

Other stuff like Overwatch for example would run OK. All depends on how flexible you want the laptop to be to play certain games.

On Ebay you can get 2nd hand GTX950M laptops for around €500 which would offer hugely increased performance (probably twice as fast).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If You just Want DOTA/wow you don't need a 1k laptop. my laptop was 500 on Dell outlet, i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd, radeon r7 m445 4gb, 1080p and would play those games easily. Just depends if you want to play anything very demanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...DELL inspirion 7000 - very good spec laptop, but horrible screen. Poor viewing angles, even for tn panel....

Mentioned here, you can get it with the 1080 IPS panel but I don't see that as an option on their websites in any country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxwMlYMMSnI

Some of the Dell screens have been abysmal. Some on in the family has the older 7559 with the 4K screen. While its a great screen personally I wouldn't want a 4K screen. Adds a lot of weight and reduces battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

beauf wrote: »
    Mentioned here, you can get it with the 1080 IPS panel but I don't see that as an option on their websites in any country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxwMlYMMSnI

Some of the Dell screens have been abysmal. Some on in the family has the older 7559 with the 4K screen. While its a great screen personally I wouldn't want a 4K screen. Adds a lot of weight and reduces battery life.

You can get in in Irish store, but it pushes its price to almost 1.5k. At that price you can get a decent 1060 laptop with good 1080p IPS screen.
    I mentioned it in other thread, but when buying laptop, screen is very very important, because you cant just change it, like you do it with desktop and monitor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You can change laptop screens? Unless you are referring to effort, yeah it's not as easy! People often buy a crap screen, sound the better screen themselves and install. Either because the upgrade wasn't available online or because it was cheaper to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You can get the 4k IPS screen. you can't get the 1080 IPS screen only the TN one. Which is poor.

Advertisement