Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€ 170,000 to invest in a business or investment

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Im looking at coming back to Ireland to start doing real estate projects there instead of overseas as everything my research is pointing to is telling me the market is going to continue upwards.
    While I don't know much about the landlord situation in terms of taxes and so on and that isn't my game, the capital appreciation on house prices I believe is going to keep going.

The fundamental of demand outweighing supply is the overriding factor - the thing is NAMA put most of the Irish developers out of business, even if they were able to service the loans, they were still denied the ability to do this. It was like a blanket demonization of developers across the board - while some were bad, some were also good. Whats left is almost nobody building new houses and servicing the demand, and probably a deep distrust of the banks from any entrepreneurs who have the cahones to get into development. So this is why rents are climbing in my opinion, and I don't see it as a bubble because the banks aren't over lending like before and creating a kind of fake market place by lending to people who can't afford the repayments and much more reasonable LTV rates that aren't I suppose bubble creating.

I'm not sure 170K is enough though to take advantage of the current price boom as perhaps you can't get anything in the right spot for that unless your going to take on a mortgage with it

If you do not have your land bank in place by now, the well located cheaper sites are gone, good site prices are rocketing...imo you face an uphill struggle. There is no demand for 60Km distant commuter homes, cheaper rural sites are just not going to cut it. There are serious cost issues with skilled labour shortages, huge local authority levies and recently severe shortages of higher spec insulation materials. I would look hard at the local realities before making any jump.

mrawkward wrote: »
    If you do not have your land bank in place by now, the well located cheaper sites are gone, good site prices are rocketing...imo you face an uphill struggle. There is no demand for 60Km distant commuter homes, cheaper rural sites are just not going to cut it. There are serious cost issues with skilled labour shortages, huge local authority levies and recently severe shortages of higher spec insulation materials. I would look hard at the local realities before making any jump.

Only looking at refurb's, cost of new construction is way too high with land and groundwork included. Probably going to stay that way too until a couple of years time when prices are sky high again

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

Only looking at refurb's, cost of new construction is way too high with land and groundwork included. Probably going to stay that way too until a couple of years time when prices are sky high again

I dont disagree however I do notice that doer-uppers in south county Dublin are going for way more than the finished outcome values after expenditure. A lot of DORT type " we want to put our own stamp on it" at play. I have firsthand experience of this with my own offspring seeking to buy at 7-800K and spend 200K over a period... similar end properties are only making +100K max!!

mrawkward wrote: »
    I dont disagree however I do notice that doer-uppers in south county Dublin are going for way more than the finished outcome values after expenditure. A lot of DORT type " we want to put our own stamp on it" at play. I have firsthand experience of this with my own offspring seeking to buy at 7-800K and spend 200K over a period... similar end properties are only making +100K max!!

Haha yeah well I think anyone who gets into property when it comes to either building from scratch or doing existing up underestimates the costs the first time, maybe even the second time. Been there and bought the T-shirt so I'd like to think I can avoid that. Im looking at a building in town at the moment 5 stories, quite run down, but great potential. Only issue is its a protected building and requires a change of use which is the only thing stopping us buying it. The risk of trusting an architect to put forward the right plan to maintain the facade and interior which is also required, and then relying on the planning office to approve said designs and grant change of use might be a worry too far. When the planning guys won't give you an answer to 'will you grant change of use if the architect puts forward a plan that meets your every requirement' I tend to believe in the negative outcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Do you really want a complete lifestyle change where you will be running a business 24/7? But on the other hand, you will be in charge of your own destiny. You have to consider one against the other. If you are any good, the money will come, if not you are in for a bumpy ride. Good luck in deciding......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Online is extremely difficult if you don't have the experience. Hundreds of online stores have closed this year. Including some big names.

It's an ever changing goalpost and usually it's only those who either sell to online stores or those who have no experience, that suggest it is an easy business.

It's not.

The latest casualty is Made.com - valued at £700m in July 2021. Value today = zero.

ASOS, the giant online retailer has had to get more investment.

The good ones are those who have a combination of physical and online business as no matter what people think, shopping in a physical store is the public's top past time.

Where to invest at present? - I'd look at the leisure market. See what young people are into and see if there's longevity in it

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LukeChain

Omg the number is huge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

So, it's five year later. How did you get on with the investment ?

Advertisement