Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mandatory training payment

Options
  • 05-05-2017 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I work in a nursing home where I am required to complete training courses in manual handling and fire safety every year. These courses last approximately three hours each. Up to around 3 years ago we were paid for our time in attending these courses. Now we are obliged to attend the courses in our own time for no payment. Is this legal? We cannot work without up to date certification
    Thanks for any help with this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I work in a nursing home where I am required to complete training courses in manual handling and fire safety every year. These courses last approximately three hours each. Up to around 3 years ago we were paid for our time in attending these courses. Now we are obliged to attend the courses in our own time for no payment. Is this legal? We cannot work without up to date certification
    Thanks for any help with this.

If you need the certification to work there, you could refuse to do them unless you are paid, then of course you wouldn't be certified to work there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Unappreciated

davo10 wrote: »
    If you need the certification to work there, you could refuse to do them unless you are paid, then of course you wouldn't be certified to work there anymore.

Thanks. I suppose the problem there would be that all of us would have to refuse. I was hoping there would be some legislation relating to this.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We give time in lieu for training that's out of hours..

_Brian wrote: »
    We give time in lieu for training that's out of hours..

Thanks Brian. That's the same as getting paid for our time. Can I come and work with you please? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Thanks Brian. That's the same as getting paid for our time. Can I come and work with you please? Lol

It's not always.
    If training happens on a Saturday employees expecting payment may technically be due overtime as they have already worked their hours.
    Giving time in lieu has no further cash outlay.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    It's not always.
    If training happens on a Saturday employees expecting payment may technically be due overtime as they have already worked their hours.
    Giving time in lieu has no further cash outlay.
    Thanks Brian. But in my job, I work weekends, days and nights all year round. When we do the training, we will also work all our normal hours. We are paid by the hour.

Advertisement