Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Fridge/Freezer

Options
  • 05-05-2017 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,

The fridge/freezer in the house where I'm renting a room has been broken for over a week now. All of the contents have had to be thrown out and we've contacted the landlord to get it sorted.

He's away at the moment but has said he will send someone out to take a look at it. That was over five days ago now, and still nothing.

I think I read somewhere that you can only be without certain working appliances for a set amount of time in a rental property, a fridge/freezer being one. I don't want to be a pain and demand it's fixed immediately, but not having a fridge/freezer is very annoying as well as costly as we can't store any perishable foods!

Any advice here would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I don't want to be a pain and demand it's fixed immediately, but not having a fridge/freezer is very annoying as well as costly as we can't store any perishable foods!

Any advice here would be appreciated :)

I don't think you have any option other than to be a pain.

Fridge/freezer form part of the minimum standard for rented accommodation, as such it's your landlords responsibility to address the issue within a reasonable timeframe.

I think you've gone past the reasonable timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Reasonable is undefined. If you believe it's too long get the repair done yourself, from the cheaper of three quotes, and ask to be reimbursed, if a dispute arises contact the RTB.

All assuming the LL is not resident at the address.

Advertisement